Toribash
Original Post
[Discussion]Micro-transactions
I know recently this has become a big deal for many gamers. Having to pay $2 for a gun skin, or $7 for another form of currency in a game. While some are fine with this, others are not; such as myself.

I want to know what you guys think, and how you think game companies should change it.

I have been playing WoW recently, and have discovered that you can pay $60 to make a character that goes to max level right away. This causes many problems such as:
-many players don't know how to play their class, which results in people getting mad and upset during dungeons, raids and PvP.
-removing the sense of accomplishment. Before when you hit max level, you felt proud to be among others who worked as hard as you. But now, that feeling is lost, as you are surrounded by people that took a short-cut to get to where you are now.

Do you have any specific games that you think micro-transactions should be removed from?

Discuss!
I think microtransactions are the cancer that's slowly killing games. They're basically somewhere on top of my hate-list, along with day-1-DLCs. To be honest, I couldn't care less about purely cosmetic CS shit, but everything else, especially microtransactions in MMOs are egregious. Grr.

[re] | #Polska
qui hic minxerit aut cacaverit, habeat deos superos et inferos iratos
I'm fine for micro-transactions if it does not give you a edge over anyone, like gun skins. But pay to win is pure bullshit. If you make a game a grind because I didnt spend the $5 one the special weapon, you are not a good person. I think what pisses me off is that micro-transactions are making there way into full priced games. Ryse had micro-transaction, and I think dead space 3 did. I already paid $60 (assuming I got it around release).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Online Gaming -
Micro-Transaction are a way for the dev to get revenue and run the game (and their life). If there were no micro-transaction, you would get a lot of ads popping up right when you are sniping a nub, who is sniping another nub of your team. Ads are more irritating than Players who pay-to-win. If we leave this two thing, the only way for the dev to make revenue is donations (which looks pretty lame). It would be pretty lame if you donate $100 and all you get is a Golden Kyure before your username, so the dev found a way to make revenue without making the game look lame, i.e, Micro-Transaction, by which you indirectly donate, and get "cool" stuff that only Donators can have.

Even Toribash runs on Micro-Transactions, like TC-Booster, Toriprime/VIP, QI boosters, etc.

But some games (MMO-RPGs) are scumbags, like kyure said "$60 to make a character go to max level right away", this is the type of thing a game shouldn't have. Micro-Transactions should be only for cosmetic and stuff, that doesn't affect the gameplay (For example, Hats in Team Fortress 2).

Offline Gaming :-
What the hell man. In our times we had to beat a higher level opponent to get a new player, but now, we have to buy the character to play with it. We buy a game, for say like $50, then see that the game has 1/2 of the story-line, buys a $10 DLC. What we get is 3/4 storyline. Pay another $20 dollar for full story-line.
Last edited by eElectro; Aug 27, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Dengue is a wizard.
[Nitro] | (KnC) | [Monk] | Gamer's Inc. | ViperTech and Cheshyre fanboy
Micro-Transaction are a way for the dev to get revenue and run the game (and their life). If there were no micro-transaction, you would get a lot of ads popping up right when you are sniping a nub, who is sniping another nub of your team. Ads are more irritating than Players who pay-to-win.

No. I'm expecting a game I bought to not have ads or in-game purchases.
Unless you mean ftp, in which case I can tolerate vanity purchases, but p2w is still out of the question.
If you can't afford to release a game without taking bribes, you shouldn't release it for free.

Toribash things doesn't affect gameplay (except debatably pure usertitles), so it's a vanity item you can choose to pay for, and it's just as possible to get it without paying real money, thanks to dueling, marketing and tournaments.

Offline DLC is okay as long as it's a development thing. It should definitely not be necessary to play the original game or affect the original storyline. The whole point of DLC is to add to the game, not take away from it.
Last edited by Lazors; Aug 27, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I agree cosmetics are okay. I believe things like that add to the game, but things that give you an advantage over other players is what is killing gaming.