ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by box View Post
What if the criminal has a loaded gun?

What if god shows up and saves the world?

There are many what if scenarios, and frankly, they are irrelevant because we are generally speaking.
The risk of a criminal showing up with a loaded gun is very low in my country, partially due to no guns being available at all for anyone except very few people, so that's where my position is derived from.
How are you?
Apparently some one hates my opinions and keeps deleting my posts. In my opinion (that's what forums are about, opinions) you should be able to protect yourself from criminals. If a person is such a scum bag that they are out robbing people or breaking into houses, they deserve to be in danger. It should be a very dangerous thing to attack and rob innocent people. I support concealed carry and self defense because people deserve a chance to protect themselves.

Like my original post said; you wanna be a thug, you should be ready to pay a price.

Redundant Moderated Message:
I don't hate your opinion. One single statement without any elaboration is no discussion material and will be treated accordingly.
This post, however, is much better. Keep it up.
Last edited by Redundant; Aug 7, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Originally Posted by Muur View Post
What evidence? From what I've seen the increased availability of weapons (specifically guns) is not parallel to increased crime rate. Australian gun control was almost completely ineffective and cost the Australian government millions. 12 months after the ban homicide rates went up, assault rates went up, armed robberies went up, and in some cases homicides with guns rose up to 300 percent higher. Sure their crime rates have decreased almost insignificantly since then, but it was decreasing before the gun bans. If you look at the murder rates of developed countries with strict gun laws or low gun ownership rates and compare them to other developed countries with high gun ownership rates you will notice that gun possession has a pretty insignificant effect on murder rates. Sure the number of mass homicides will decline, but those are responsible for barely a percentage of homicides per year. Plus more guns=more death is assuming that the ordinary person commits crimes such as murder. Either way, "weapons of self-defense" are for the most part useless, but if they provide a person or family with a higher sense of security then why not let them have them. Not to sound cliché, but gun control isn't about guns its about control, and that somewhat applies to all weapons.

Since the ban has been instated the upward trend in fire arm homicide has been reversed and firearm related homicide in Australia is at an all time low.

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

Gun related homicide is merely 10% of that of USA's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

A long term policy cannot be determined by just 12 months of observation. Obviously there will be a knee jerk reaction.

Each country is a separate entity and you definitely can't say "a country with less guns has less gun incidents", but taking any individual country you can say "if there was less guns there would be less gun incidents" - barring if a country is an active warzone of course!
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Since the ban has been instated the upward trend in fire arm homicide has been reversed and firearm related homicide in Australia is at an all time low.

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide.html

If you noticed although the gun related homicides dropped, the rate of homicides actually stayed very consistent with the trend that began before the ban was even instated.

Gun related homicide is merely 10% of that of USA's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Let's not forget to mention that crime rates have dropped in the US without the help of a gun ban. Almost 70% of homicides in the US are gun related, but that's only because of the availability. That doesn't mean the same amount of homicides can't be committed with other weapons or illegal firearms.

A long term policy cannot be determined by just 12 months of observation. Obviously there will be a knee jerk reaction.

Each country is a separate entity and you definitely can't say "a country with less guns has less gun incidents", but taking any individual country you can say "if there was less guns there would be less gun incidents" - barring if a country is an active warzone of course!

The point I brought up is that the amount of guns does not coordinate with the amount of homicides. The amount of homicides is based more on factors like police effectiveness, social standards, political situations, and things like that.

The reasons for the US crime drops have absolutely nothing to do with weapon availability. Its completely reliant on an increased number of police, social trends, political and educational advancement, and changing demographics.
DAMN.
Originally Posted by jewdough View Post
Apparently some one hates my opinions and keeps deleting my posts. In my opinion (that's what forums are about, opinions) you should be able to protect yourself from criminals. If a person is such a scum bag that they are out robbing people or breaking into houses, they deserve to be in danger. It should be a very dangerous thing to attack and rob innocent people. I support concealed carry and self defense because people deserve a chance to protect themselves.

Like my original post said; you wanna be a thug, you should be ready to pay a price.

I'm robbing you at gunpoint. You reach for a gun. I shoot you before you pull it out. Nice self-defense.

I've robbed you at gunpoint. You pull a gun out and shoot me in the back when I'm running away. Congratulations, you're now a murderer.

I fail to see how having a gun changed anything for the better.

And weapon availability does influence crime rate. Most crimes are spur of the moment. Therefore, a person has to believe that they can get away with it, the risk is low, and that it's worth doing it. A gun will shape their perceptions about the first two criteria. If they have a gun, they feel more powerful, so they feel they can get away with it, and that risks against them are lower.

Consider this. People who own guns are 40% more likely to drive aggressively, and make obscene gestures at other drivers. Does this mean that people who own guns are more aggressive people overall, or does it mean guns cause people to act more aggressively, or some other factor causing both. If it's either of the first two, that's already reason enough to restrict gun ownership. And the third option has nothing, as far as I'm aware of, supporting it. So regardless of whether it's guns causing aggression, or aggression prompting guns, the end result of more guns is still a negative result for overall safety.

And my evidence is in the only link I've posted. It has citation on it leading the the respective studies for each claim. I may have messed up a few of the numbers or rounded them to the nearest 10, but the relevance remains.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I've robbed you at gunpoint. You pull a gun out and shoot me in the back when I'm running away. Congratulations, you're now a murderer.

I fail to see how having a gun changed anything for the better.

You would be stupid going in for a kill shot. Any human being, ANY human being that isn't hopped up on drugs would stop running if you capped them in the leg. If a bat can do, a bullet can do it. And not to mention you haven't murdered the guy, he's laying there in excruciating pain because you just destroyed his god damn shin bone, He's immobile and he's there for the cops now, instead of letting the man run off and do it again to someone who's more helpless than you, take him down right there and now.

Also it just so happens stabbings, brutal beatings, and downright getting pushed into oncoming steel is more common than some guy robbing you at gun point. That shit is unlikely, It's knife point that you should watch out for, I had it happen to me more than a couple of times.

Also have fun running from thugs who out run the police once a week. That shit is hard. They may not have endurance, but they mostl likely have enough speed to catch you before their shitty tobacco lungs give in. Sometimes you just got to stay and fight with a Weapon.
Last edited by T0ribush; Aug 8, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
So what are you anti-gun people proposing. Make it illegal for people to own guns and they will all just go away? The criminals are already armed, taking away the right to own a gun from decent people doesn't solve this issue.
If you noticed although the gun related homicides dropped, the rate of homicides actually stayed very consistent with the trend that began before the ban was even instated.

That isn't true though.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/...iciderate2.png

Let's not forget to mention that crime rates have dropped in the US without the help of a gun ban. Almost 70% of homicides in the US are gun related, but that's only because of the availability. That doesn't mean the same amount of homicides can't be committed with other weapons or illegal firearms.

That's not to say a gun ban wouldn't help.
The point I brought up is that the amount of guns does not coordinate with the amount of homicides. The amount of homicides is based more on factors like police effectiveness, social standards, political situations, and things like that.

Of course, a country that thinks everyone should have a gun (or 70) is a country that will always have more deaths. It's not to do with the guns, it's the attitude. "Every man, woman and child should have a means to kill as many people as they want". There are many other countries that consider life to be very precious, and not to be taken just because someone tried to steal your wallet.
The reasons for the US crime drops have absolutely nothing to do with weapon availability. Its completely reliant on an increased number of police, social trends, political and educational advancement, and changing demographics.

And maybe if their gun control was better, they wouldn't have the highest homicide rate of any 1st world nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Originally Posted by jewdough View Post
So what are you anti-gun people proposing. Make it illegal for people to own guns and they will all just go away? The criminals are already armed, taking away the right to own a gun from decent people doesn't solve this issue.

That's not reasonable. Look at nations that have anti gun laws. No civilians are armed, criminal or no criminal. Unless, of course, you have a licence, but that requires training. I've never seen a bunch of cops in an impasse with a guy who's holding a gun on the news. I've searched for articles of armed standoffs in Belgium but couldn't find any.
f=m*a syens
I carry probably around 70% of the time. A small 9mm glock 17. I would not hesitate to use it either, but in 3 years I've never once had to remove it from its holster. I fully approve of peoples rights to carry and use a weapon in self defense.

Now on to gun laws. As a US citizen I follow all the gun laws to the T. Its the only reason I don't have a glock 18 to carry. But if you've ever been in a bad neighborhood, which I'm assuming most of you have not? You will see gun laws mean relatively nothing. I've seen men with fully autos(Assumption) standing on the block corner, guys with no concealed weapon permit(Assumption) with guns pretty visible in their waist. Before you say its not concealed, I know someone will, simply moving your shirt over it makes it concealed and it is considered a concealed weapon still. So go to a ghetto, gang infested, drug run, shit hole and count the cops you see, then count the cops you see who are arresting people blatantly breaking laws. You wont see that many, its just not worth it, in some parts of these cities the criminals really are in control. The problem isn't the laws, its our lack of funding to police departments for more officers on the streets and better equipment for said officers. At least that's how I see it in the US.