Toribash
Original Post
Corporal punishment for children
To be clear I'm not talking about beating a child. I'm not talking about putting cigarettes out on arms, abuse anywhere near that level. Or abuse for no reason.

I am talking about spankings, with or without objects, and other punishments to that degree. There seems to be this new trend that spanking your child is frowned upon. Even illegal at some point. What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I think corporal punishment is fine. When I was a kid it was the normal, the punishments I received back then could easily put my Dad in jail today and I think I'm a better person for it. I lived in a rural town, everyone knew everyone kind of place, so of course no one would ever turn someone in for a welt on the ass or a bruise on the arm. Although the punishment may have been borderline at times I still see no problem with it. People who take it to far should be prosecuted. But taking to to far these days is a joke.
Willingness to harm children with physical or mental abuse in any way should definitely be discouraged.

There should be no need for such a law because no human should ever want to put welts on their child.

I completely disagree that children turn out better if you beat them. When you get a job will you allow your boss to beat you to make you a better employee?

What an absolutely ridiculous chain of logic "it's ok to beat children because they are children".
It's somewhat understandable that parents wants to beat their child. Especially if you've been beaten yourself, or if it's seen as a duty in your community.
It's perfectly reasonable to be scared when your child does something stupid.
When we're afraid, it's natural to resort to violence.

In reality, though, I can't imagine in any way how this helps your child to grow up. Violence is just a parent's selfish desire to extinguish his fear.
As a kid, it's perfectly natural to do things you shouldn't do, curiosity is, in fact, our greatest teacher (and not pain, as the saying goes). Of course, if a child does something really bad, he should be punished. But not with violence, never with violence. You don't want your kid to be afraid of you, because violence gives birth to violence. Kids who grew up with violence will treat their kids with violence.
Last edited by Lazors; Aug 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
I think Gorman pretty much hit the nail on the head for me in terms of what it means to be a parent. You should have a desire to teach, instruct, protect and nurture rather than to inflict pain and fear upon a child.

Spanking is a lazy and outdated form of parenting, that is now recommended against by the American Academy of Paediatrics. Their studies show that three year old children who have been spanked are more likely to show aggression at the age of five. [1]

Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
Personally I think corporal punishment is fine. When I was a kid it was the normal, the punishments I received back then could easily put my Dad in jail today and I think I'm a better person for it.

This is probably the most common justification that is thrown around when it comes to spanking, "I was spanked, so I'll spank my children". We used to drill holes in the heads of patients we believed to be plagued by "evil spirits". Perhaps it's time to modernise parenting a little, we now understand better and are aware that spanking is in-fact damaging (I'll link to some works at the bottom to correspond with this).

I suggest looking into the work of Dr. Bruce Lipton. He describes that it is impossible to learn whilst feeling fear. Fear basically provides us with a more primitive fight or flight instinct, so we lose higher-thinking and reasoning to much more basic and natural responses. Fear is not an effective teacher. [2]

An angle that I think is severely overlooked in the spanking debate, is the sexual abuse side. Hitting a child is instilling an idea into children that adults are somewhat in charge of the child's body. And that they are allowed to touch the body in a way that is painful and uncomfortable to the child. Surely this has to result in much more submissive children, or children that are much less likely to report sexual abuse. I very much doubt there is any findings to back this up however, because it's very difficult to monitor.

Sources:
[1]http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-2678.abstract
[2]http://www.brucelipton.com/media/hap...istic-approach
"Kids who grew up with violence will treat their kids with violence."

Well we have a very bold statement there.
You're reasoning behind spanking being okay is the fact that you were spanked as a child. You are a living, breathing testament to that "very bold" statement.
I stated an opinion. He made a statement. Do we have a full understanding of the difference? Do we need to consult webster?

Also, I am a non violent person, I've never had a violent offence. Maybe been in 3 fights total in my life. Was a wrestler and played football in high school that's about as far as my violence went. It's a good thing I'm non violent too, I'm a rather large muscular guy, I have a lot of opportunities to be violent though, I solve confrontation with words.
Last edited by Jakeway; Aug 9, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
This discussion is not about weather or not Jakeway is a violent person, so please refrain from statements about his very private personality.
How are you?
Quick google of "results of spanking" give 3 of the top 4 results as negative side effects. The only other one references a fox news "report" that has no citation, or even information about the study in question they're reporting.

And people are making a pretty fallacious argument if they use a case study to justify an argument. In other words, just because you turned out fine, doesn't mean that everyone who experiences the same thing turns out fine. Lets say one person survives being struck by lightning, does that then mean all instances of being struck by lightning are non-lethal?

Opinions don't shape a discussion unless you back them up with something more concrete than "it happened to me, so I'm obviously informed"
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
because of widely advertised claims that corporal punishment
is “associated with higher rates of aggression . . . .” The problem is
that these claims, though widely advertised, are seldom based on sound
scientific research. Rather, professional methodologists have found
that anti-spanking studies are often structured to support the researcher’s
personal philosophy, instead of being structured to fairly analyze the
results of physical discipline.

2nd link, American College of Pediatricians endorse using spankings(Not exclusively)

There are more studies that argue spanking children as a means of discipline is more helpful to the child's development if done properly, for example not a jerk reaction out of anger.

Also fear my not be a successful teaching tool, but it is one of the most successful motivators. When I was younger I didn't like school, I actually very much disliked going to morning classes but my siblings and I all knew you didn't want to be the one who showed our father a report card with a C or even too many B's on it. We all graduated with honors.

http://www.uakron.edu/dotAsset/1820605.pdf
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/arc...7/dec/07120301
Last edited by Banned; Aug 11, 2013 at 06:57 AM.