Ranking
You shouldn't negatively generalize all fat people just because one person thought it was the right decision to cause a scene. Passive smoking won't give you a heart attack, eating a lot of burgers will.
However..

User received an infraction for this post: What did I just say? >_> -Redundant

I can't read. sowy <_<
Last edited by MintCat; Aug 11, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
"Obesity can be caused by many factors, some of which cannot be helped.
Some psychological causes can be treated, but saying that it is their fault is stupid."

This is one of the biggest jokes people come up with, very very very few people, aside of those with severe mental disorders(down sydrome comes to mind) have any extra challenge, other than maybe a slower metabolism, when it comes to losing weight. There may be a lot of factors that go into being overweight, but hey are all changeable and at the end of the day it is a life style choice.

Also my first post wasn't about smoking, it was about being publicly called out on it, while Americans have become so sympathetic to the obesity "epidemic" that it has become a social norm.
-----
Originally Posted by Muur View Post
In regards to the situation, both parties are guilty. He has no right to judge you for smoking (unless you're like blowing smoke right in his or his kid's face), and you have no right to judge him or his son for being overweight.

Obesity isn't usually a choice. There are many factors that go into people being overweight. It isn't just inactivity and high calorie diets, although I'm sure there are some cases where that is the sole reason for obesity. Not all societies are set up in a way that is supportive of a healthy lifestyle. The biggest example would be America.

Contrary to popular belief, Americans take less time off, work longer hours, and retire later than almost any other industrialized country's citizens. With less time to be active, people find that as their wallets begin to fatten so are they.

American's also face the challenge of finding normal, healthy sized food portions. Practically any place that serves food sells meals that should only be appropriate for two or more people. Not to mention the availability of healthy restaurants and fast food is scarce. The closest healthy restaurant to me is 50 minutes away, whereas the closest unhealthy one is 5. The cost and availability of healthy foods discourages a healthy diet, and more and more people are finding it more economical and convenient to consume crap.

Obesity also tends to run in the family. There have been studies of identical twins that were raised apart which show weight is strongly influenced by genetics. Not to mention children tend to develop the habits of their parents. When they see the people they want to emulate stuffing their face and then sitting down and watching TV for a few hours, what do you think they're going to start to do? Genes also come into play with health conditions which can cause weight gains through incapability to be active, hormonal imbalance, slowed metabolism, and side effects from medication.

There are a few more factors, but I think my point has been given. I mean what you guys are saying is equivalent to "Let's hate on everyone who causes the slightest bit of annoyance to us no matter how much control they have over the situation." I encourage a healthy lifestyle, but you shouldn't force one upon someone. They just need to realize the benefits and make the change themselves.

Incapability to be active. Nope, that is an excuse. Except in extreme cases. Hormonal imbalance, another excuse, it plays a part in your weight loss/gain but if its not combined with other factors it becomes a minor factor. Slow metabolism, excuse, it's only slow because said person let it get that slow. And lucky for them it can speed up. Discourages a healthy diet? Oh you mean complete lack of self control? Stack excuses on top of excuses and think it oks
Last edited by Banned; Aug 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Americans have become so sympathetic to the obesity "epidemic" that it has become a social norm.

That's why there's so much pressure to lose weight right? You seem to want to bully people into losing weight, which is stupid. Obesity has become prevalent because of how society has changed. Cheap, fattening food has replaced wholesome foods and technology has created a more sedentary lifestyle for many people. Obesity is a side affect of these changes, so chalking it up to "lazy people who just stuff their faces" is moronic. If you want to fight obesity, you have to address societal issues first.
My signature sucks
So how do we change this? Other than stopping with the excuses and sympathy. Stop giving people the "its not your fault" attitude.

Well I think we have to start with children. Do you remember high school gym class? Wow that class was a joke, America could start by redoing the curriculum, kid know exercise and dieting is good, but they don't know why. They don't know about nutrition and nobody is teaching them. Gym was always, do stretches(check out the girls at this time of course), a low amount of push ups and sit ups(do the push ups on your knees if you want, if you can't do sit ups quit whenever you're mildly uncomfortable), sport of the day or run. Oh its dodgeball? Girls walk up to the line and practically get tagged out, overweight/nonathletic kids go ahead and try you'll be sitting down in 2 minutes. Athletic gym tryhards get to play for another 5 minutes till next game.

How about instead we teach our kids something, I think we were required to run the mile 4 times a year? Never did they keep track to see if you progressed. Not once did my teacher try to teach better running form/technique, never did we learn about why eating 200g of carbs is bad for you, or how to create a healthy diet. Or how working out in different ways effects your body differently. I don't know if this is every gym class, but I was in two high schools both were about the same. I'm sure there is a stand out teacher somewhere, but is this the normal high school gym class?

Thellian at the end of the day obesity is a life style choice, outside of extreme examples of course. Also, this is not a scientific fact just a general observation, but I don't know that many in shape people who sympathies with fatties, just like I don't know many former fatties who have sympathy for people not making active attempts to change. If you're fat and are making efforts to lose the weight, like showing up to my gym. I wont make fun of you, I have nothing but respect for those people. I'll even offer tips on form if they are way off. I'll give that person props because I'm sure it takes more for someone overweight to get on a treadmill around 20 other people than it does for joe schmo 140 pounds 5'11.
Last edited by Banned; Aug 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
I don't know if this is every gym class, but I was in two high schools both were about the same. I'm sure there is a stand out teacher somewhere, but is this the normal high school gym class?

My gym teacher (I'm 12 by the way) Makes us do 50 sit-ups and 50 push-ups before and after we do a sport. Sports/games include: Capture the flag, relay races, soccer, floor hockey and basketball, (give or take a few that work their way in). We do these for 45 minutes. Stand out teachers do exist.
So how do we change this?

Like you said, education. Also, encouragement, not bullying. Making fun of someone who doesn't go to the gym accomplishes nothing. Whereas encouraging them to go to the gym might.
My signature sucks
Oh you mean complete lack of self control? Stack excuses on top of excuses and think it oks

exacly.

a friend of mine got diabetes and she was fat for a long time, later she got herself a diet and stuff and become rather slim. and she keep control of herself even after giving birth, so all these excuses like "it's social factors" are complete fucking bullshit.

get a grip of yourself. it's you who shove tons of food up your throat and then moan that everything is hard for you and you need special fucking conditions for everything.
Sincerely,
snob
Some people are more sensitive to becoming obese. Two people can have the same diet and have a different appearance. Metabolism is complicated. If your body has a different population of certain bacteria in the gastrointestinal system, you're not going to metabolise some substances (e.g. carbohydrates or lipids) as well as others. If you think it's as simple as "you become fatter when you eat too much", that's not the case. Sometimes, the obese people can be blamed. If it's gluttony, it's your fault. If it's mental problems, poverty, medicine or a disorder, you shouldn't blame them.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by snob View Post
exacly.

a friend of mine got diabetes and she was fat for a long time, later she got herself a diet and stuff and become rather slim. and she keep control of herself even after giving birth, so all these excuses like "it's social factors" are complete fucking bullshit.

get a grip of yourself. it's you who shove tons of food up your throat and then moan that everything is hard for you and you need special fucking conditions for everything.

I have friends who work all day, many of whom sit in front of a computer screen for a living, and take care of children at home. They don't have time to go to the gym, or really worry about their weight. Just because some people are able to summon the strength or energy to take time out of the day to stay in shape, doesn't mean that those who don't are lazy or gluttonous. Don't be ridiculous.
My signature sucks
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
Some people are more sensitive to becoming obese. Two people can have the same diet and have a different appearance. Metabolism is complicated. If your body has a different population of certain bacteria in the gastrointestinal system, you're not going to metabolise some substances (e.g. carbohydrates or lipids) as well as others. If you think it's as simple as "you become fatter when you eat too much", that's not the case. Sometimes, the obese people can be blamed. If it's gluttony, it's your fault. If it's mental problems, poverty, medicine or a disorder, you shouldn't blame them.

Mental problems cover a very wide variety, and most of them are excuses to weight gain. Depressed because you're fat, so to make yourself feel better you eat more. Wow that doesn't sound like a complete lack of self discipline. Poverty is another excuse. How much does oatmeal cost compared to sugar filled cereal? How much does a bag of lettuce cost compared a mcdonalds meal? Oh they metabolize carbs differently? I'm sure they are also consuming a healthy amount of carbs in their daily diet. All I see are excuses to why fat people shouldn't be blamed. But a small amount of research finds that there are pretty easy fixes to all of these excuses, it might take a little more work, but they are all possible to overcome.

Oh hey I work 8 hours a day still find time to go to the gym, and go out with my dog for his exercise. But I'm sure your friends insanely busy life doesn't have any downtime that could be spent on physical activity. Heaven forbid she/he goes out and plays with her kids? Maybe a little tag, kickball, bike rides? I'm sure her kids would actually enjoy having a parent that doesn't sit on the porch keeping an eye on them the whole time they play outside. Wake up an hour early for a morning jog? Out of the question I'm sure that would involve going to sleep a little earlier, and if they did that how would the spend all night in front of the TV?

Its funny everything you say has a simple solution. The solutions may take a little more work or be a slight inconvenience if you'd really rather be sitting at a computer or in front of a tv all day.
-----
My gym teacher (I'm 12 by the way) Makes us do 50 sit-ups and 50 push-ups before and after we do a sport. Sports/games include: Capture the flag, relay races, soccer, floor hockey and basketball, (give or take a few that work their way in). We do these for 45 minutes. Stand out teachers do exist.

That's good and all, but do you learn, does he teach you anything or do you just go through the motions of the day? 12 is a little young, gym class should be fun at that age but by the time you hit high school they should really work nutrition, specific exercises, and general fitness into the lesson instead of just saying hey go play tag football for 45 minutes.
Last edited by Banned; Aug 12, 2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump