Toribash
Original Post
Discuss, Toribash as an Esport.
I hear a lot of people throwing around random thoughts on this in servers and what not. I just wanted to say, I hope toribash never becomes an esport, even if it hits steam. I also don't think it will, it doesn't have the rigid meta game most other esports have, including fighting games. Lets say Shovel/lifting is strong, well if this game was ever competitive that is all you would see, then someone would make a counter, then someone would make a stronger shovel. So on and so forth. So whats your thoughts on Toribash as an esport and just esports in general.
I don't think that Toribash as an esport would work out well. It's difficult to measure how good you are at it. There aren't really statistics besides win rate. Also, there's not much to learn. There's also not much to master. When I think of eSports, I think of RTS or MOBA games where there are multiple factions/classes that each follow a specific pattern. The pattern can be predicted and countered.

Nothing can really be predicted in TB. Or if it could be, it would be too late. All in all, TB doesn't have enough depth to be an esport.

My overall view on eSports: I think it's stupid to watch someone else play a game just for the sake of entertainment instead of going out and playing it yourself.
Professional gamers? I don't really have a lot of respect for them. Maybe you can win a lot of prize money, but basically you're playing games for a living and you're not gonna have a future after the game loses popularity.
f=m*a syens
"I think of RTS or MOBA games where there are multiple factions/classes that each follow a specific pattern. The pattern can be predicted and countered."

Usually just called the meta game.

I'm going to assume you don't watch sports in general Arg?
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
"I think of RTS or MOBA games where there are multiple factions/classes that each follow a specific pattern. The pattern can be predicted and countered."

Usually just called the meta game.

I'm going to assume you don't watch sports in general Arg?

Correct, why? ...If I did I wouldn't call the act of doing so stupid
f=m*a syens
Well some people have a different opinion on esports and sports is all. I was a pro gamer for a while, it was fun, traveled the US and even to Europe a few times. Still had a future. Esports are much bigger in Europe and Asia though its more respected as a career choice I guess.
Toribash would make a decent e-sport in my opinion. Sure, shovels/lifts may be prevalent but I see them as equivalent to cheesing in SC2.
My signature sucks
I think there could be a way around the whole bit about shovels and cheesing.

Like in any real life combat sport, there needs to be an individual ingame that should act as a referee that could give out penalties. Maybe a separate server and a sort of league account cant be given to players that are willing to play under conditions that are suitable for competition.

I would love to see TB go on as an esport.

Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
basically you're playing games for a living and you're not gonna have a future after the game loses popularity.

^ I agree with this.
Last edited by illv; Aug 15, 2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
Part of the appeal of professional video game players is how their ability to win is so much higher than us players that we'd never win a match against them.

What mouse company would want to sponsor any legend you name (Nuthug, KamiKo, whatever) when they lose like 35 games a day and to people who are even brown belts?

The game is too luck based to be an e-sport.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
"basically you're playing games for a living and you're not gonna have a future after the game loses popularity.

^ I agree with this."

Yeah I feel really bad for Fatal1ty, poor guy has no future. Sucks he won $500k playing video games then his life just fell apart.

Jason "1" Lake has a rough life too, managing Complexity and all.

And Cl0wn, Devour, and Warmach1ne. What will they do with those college degrees, no one will hire them, I heard they used to be professional gamers, ewww.
Name 1 player that you think would be good enough to be a "professional", in literally ANY mod and I guarantee you I could pick a random 3rd Dan who doesn't even PLAY the mod and win at least 1 out of 5 games against them.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!