Ranking
Originally Posted by T0ribush
It's a way One trip to Mars that would leave during Opposition which would make mars no more than 101 million km or it could even be closer that year . And it only costs like 40 million to get yourself into space. So all of the 100,000 people must be sponsored by millionaires or themselves be rich and I think that's more than enough money to get there and not come back.

Anyone 18 or older may apply, but the fee depends on a user's nationality. For Americans, it's $38; if you're in Mexico, however, it's a mere $15.
The company said it sets the price based on the gross domestic product per capita of each nation. "We wanted it to be high enough for people to have to really think about it and low enough for anyone to be able to afford it," Lansdorp said.

Anyone over 18 has a chance.
[TPO][OSG][ARA][Zero]
"and I have tons of friends" Deakster/Dickmaniac/Deak
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
A ship that size shouldn't be built on Earth it has to be built in space. Or it wouldn't leave Earth because it wouldn't be able to break from Earth's gravitational pull with the output of energy were at. We'd need to be able to contain the sheer raw power that is Anti Matter to do such things.

What are you talking about?! I'm not talking about city-sized ships. Besides, your so called "anti matter engines" are purely specular. We don't need "anti matter engines" to get a large spacecraft out of the earth's grasp. Anti matter engines would only allow us to travel at great speeds.
And it only takes like 8 months to get to Mars and can be reduced on how much fuel you want to use.

Nobody wants to move the human race to Mars. It's not a solution for the earth's problems.
It wouldn't take Generations, even if the ship were massive it would still reach the Red planet within that generation.

See above.
And imagine you were that stupid generation that didn't pass down your ideals and such to the next generation aboard the generation ship which the ship going to Mars won't be a generation ship

No idea what this is supposed to signify.
It's a way One trip to Mars that would leave during Opposition which would make mars no more than 101 million km or it could even be closer that year . And it only costs like 40 million to get yourself into space. So all of the 100,000 people must be sponsored by millionaires or themselves be rich and I think that's more than enough money to get there and not come back.

Are you pulling these figures out of your arse?
And are you jumping to Outside solar system space travel already? Talking about generation ships and what not. Were not. Were talking about Mars and the Moon. The closest and easiest to inhabit compared to everything else in the system.

The topic at hand is "future homes". NO planet in our system is a "future home". All means necessary to sustain life on 'our' planets require transport of resources from earth. That's NOT a new home for the human race. That's a space expedition with the intention of putting people on another planet for scientific merit, not a solution to the earth's problems.
The bigger you are, the faster you have to go to break the orbit of the sun. Or else you'll be flying in circles in your generation ship with our current thruster technology.

You're really overestimating the size of a colony ship. I think you're imagining an object the size of our moon or something.
You don't deserve to be in space, if you're going to fall out of line and try and take over the ship. You'd just be hindering our excellence. They'd carefully select people in a generation ship. Not just anyone.

Oh, right. We can predict the traits and characteristics of people that have not yet been born etc. You know, that's the idea of a generation ship, multiple generations will inhabit it.
Generation Ships is a careful science that isn't being used here.

Again, this thread is about future homes, not Mars expeditions.
They are going to mars and not coming back.

What exactly makes you think Mars is a good planet to live on? Why Mars? Do you know what Mars looks like?
A generation ship would be used to save our race launching them into space with no return.

Yea, staying on a planet and not returning is the idea of colonising a planet, yes,.
And would have shuttles aboard because the ship wouldn't be able to land and leave again because the weight of the ship on the planet.

Oh right. What's the problem with just landing? It's not gonna return anyway.
Ships like that Stay in Space, unless we've gotten a hold of anti gravity.

f=m*a syens
The sun won't blow up everything. It will destroy our solar system completely.

The Sun won't blow up. It'll expand (red giant state) then implode (white dwarf state). The sun isn't big enough to create a supernova. Why do you think people are speculating Mars as a possible evac point? Because the Sun probably won't expand that far.

I feel like you based all that you've written so far on WALL-E. Grab a book instead.
Last edited by ynvaser; Sep 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
The Sun won't blow up. It'll expand (red giant state) then implode (white dwarf state). The sun isn't big enough to create a supernova. Why do you think people are speculating Mars as a possible evac point? Because the Sun probably won't expand that far.

I feel like you based all that you've written so far on WALL-E. Grab a book instead.

The sun is at about half its life span. The death of the sun will occur somewhere around 5 billion years from now. However, the whole process will start somewhere around 1.2 billion years from now. From then, our planet will turn into a barren desert. I don't know what compells you to think that in 1.2 billion years the human race will still exist on Terra.

Nobody here is talking about colonising mars for the sake of escaping the sun. Please take the time to actually read a thread before you start calling the people in it uneducated.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
I don't know what compells you to think that in 1.2 billion years the human race will still exist on Terra.

I certainly didn't say that.

Nobody here is talking about colonising mars for the sake of escaping the sun.

It fit perfectly into my post to further strengthen my point, which was the sun not exploding at all and wiping out the solar system. It'll inflate, yes, but that's different.

Please take the time to actually read a thread before you start calling the people in it uneducated.

I was commenting on a single thing being said, I don't need to shift through everything being said to spot bullshit.

Take your own advice, I don't like explaining myself when there should be no need for me to do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic. Mars seems like the best candidate for immediate evac when things go haywire. I don't think all of humanity could escape, but those whose knowledge and expertise could aid humanity later on must be saved. We'd also need some big ships capable of ferrying large amounts of material from asteroids and other planets. Europa comes to mind with it's large amount of frozen water, or the gas giants for fuel.
That is, unless our space faring abilities allow us to travel between stars without a hitch. If we need "generation ships" to do that, then it's not really worth it since staying in our solar system would still allow us to live on for a while until the sun turns into a white dwarf. If we can pull off interstellar travel, then the closest star systems with Earth-like planets seem like a no-brainer to check out.
If our capabilities allow it, we could correct the Earth's orbit to move into the new habitable zone of the inflated star. Since the Sun wouldn't inflate that fast, slowly widening the the orbit could do the trick.

I'm certain we wouldn't have to switch galaxies though. There are so many star systems in the milky way that I'm sure we could find hundreds of planets which are habitable, or can be terraformed with a little effort.
I certainly didn't say that.

Yes you did:
Why do you think people are speculating Mars as a possible evac point? Because the Sun probably won't expand that far.

You said that Mars would be a viable "evac point" in case the sun started inflating. That won't be happening in the next 1.2 billion years. You are referring to events that will happen out of a timeframe that's relevant to humanity.
It fit perfectly into my post to further strengthen my point, which was the sun not exploding at all and wiping out the solar system. It'll inflate, yes, but that's different.

By referring to a problem 1.2 billion years away from us, you imply that humanity would still exist by then.
I was commenting on a single thing being said, I don't need to shift through everything being said to spot bullshit.

No, but it's common courtesy to read a thread wholly before commenting on the alleged ignorance of the posters. I hope this is the end of that. If you like to continue that discussion, PM me, this thread is not the place for that.
That is, unless our space faring abilities allow us to travel between stars without a hitch. If we need "generation ships" to do that, then it's not really worth it since staying in our solar system would still allow us to live on for a while until the sun turns into a white dwarf. If we can pull off interstellar travel, then the closest star systems with Earth-like planets seem like a no-brainer to check out.

Look, I don't know what you're talking about here. You're talking about surviving this timespan ("a while"):

Now
+1.2bn years
sun starts expanding
+4.5bn years
sun turns into a white dwarf

Are you seriously implying the human race should live on mars for 4.5bn years? For one, I'm really skeptical about humans surviving for any longer than a few hundred thousand years more, let alone, a few billion years. Also, what's the deal with "generation ships are not worth it." I don't get that. I don't get why someone would choose living on Mars for 4+ billion years over sending colony ships out to colonise actually inhabital planets. It's gonna take long, but nowhere near 4 billion years. I think you need to put into perspective what a billion year is like.

If our capabilities allow it, we could correct the Earth's orbit to move into the new habitable zone of the inflated star. Since the Sun wouldn't inflate that fast, slowly widening the the orbit could do the trick.

So you are, instead of moving to another planet, moving the planet? What the?! Which of these two do you think is most cost-efficient: building spacecraft to move a race or building some kind of massive mega-contraption to move a dead planet around. I used "dead" because I'm speculating that by the time we have the power to, you know, move planets around, I suspect the human Terra's lost most of its worth.
I'm certain we wouldn't have to switch galaxies though. There are so many star systems in the milky way that I'm sure we could find hundreds of planets which are habitable, or can be terraformed with a little effort.

Calling terraforming an business that requires 'little effort' is just blatant ignorance. I agree with the first part, though. We've already discovered planets that potentially have earth-like properties. Much is still uncertain thanks to our limited technology, though.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...ic-probes.html
f=m*a syens
I don't know why are you trying to argue with me here. I'm obviously implying that we overcome whatever crap we have to till that point. Not because it's 100% that we are going to, but because the other possibility is less interesting. I also took that example to prove that the sun won't inflate that far. I hate repeating myself.

Look, I don't know what you're talking about here. You're talking about surviving this timespan ("a while")...

That's time to improve our spacefaring capabilities. We might not need generation ships if we spend enough time perfecting our stuff.

So you are, instead of moving to another planet, moving the planet? What the?! Which of these two do you think is most cost-efficient: building spacecraft to move a race or building some kind of massive mega-contraption to move a dead planet around. I used "dead" because I'm speculating that by the time we have the power to, you know, move planets around, I suspect the human Terra's lost most of its worth.

Since the orbit wouldn't need radical changes due to the nature of the inflation, it could be cost-efficient if we find out how to pull it off. And I don't remember saying anything about mega-contraptions. Terra could still be worth something even that far in the future, you can't know for sure.

Calling terraforming an business that requires 'little effort' is just blatant ignorance.

There are obviously planets which need less terraforming than others. I was talking about those.
Last edited by ynvaser; Sep 10, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
I don't know why are you trying to argue with me here.

...Because it's a discussion board.
I'm obviously implying that we overcome whatever crap we have to till that point. Not because it's 100% that we are going to, but because the other possibility is less interesting. I also took that example to prove that the sun won't inflate that far. I hate repeating myself.

You're missing my point here. I'm pointing out that you are talking about timespans of billions of years. Human civilisation is less than 100.000 years old, and we've been on the verge of extinction before. I'm saying that I'm skeptical about the human race surviving life on earth for one billion years, by then, the earth's resources will LONG have been depleted.
That's time to improve our spacefaring capabilities. We might not need generation ships if we spend enough time perfecting our stuff.

You don't need 1.2 billion years to research and build spacecraft that are able to escape our solar system.
Since the orbit wouldn't need radical changes due to the nature of the inflation, it could be cost-efficient if we find out how to pull it off. And I don't remember saying anything about mega-contraptions. Terra could still be worth something even that far in the future, you can't know for sure.

You're talking about MOVING A PLANET. You really don't have an idea of what you're talking about. Are you implying it can be done with a small contraption then?
There are obviously planets which need less terraforming than others. I was talking about those.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Any terraforming takes a lot of effort and thousands of years of work.
f=m*a syens
You're missing my point here. I'm pointing out that you are talking about timespans of billions of years. Human civilisation is less than 100.000 years old, and we've been on the verge of extinction before. I'm saying that I'm skeptical about the human race surviving life on earth for one billion years, by then, the earth's resources will LONG have been depleted.

Okay, and I think that's a bland and boring outcome, however probable. I prefer the "we overcome" scenario which the topic should be about (see the first post).

You don't need 1.2 billion years to research and build spacecraft that are able to escape our solar system.

And how do you know that? We might not even be able to build such craft. Physics, woo.

You're talking about MOVING A PLANET. You really don't have an idea of what you're talking about. Are you implying it can be done with a small contraption then?

If I knew that answer I'd be discussing this with a board of scientists while drinking the most expensive booze and getting blown by the most expensive hookers money can buy, instead of trying to exchange ideas on a message board.
You can't know what direction science takes by that point. Perhaps we'd be better suited for moving planets than creating drives which are capable of interstellar travel. Or maybe we'll go extinct before that even becomes an issue. You can't talk in plain statements here, unless you possess some seer-like powers.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Any terraforming takes a lot of effort and thousands of years of work.

Well of course I don't have an idea on how terraforming works exactly, but neither do you (if you did, you'd be doing the things I mentioned above). But just think about this: terraforming a planet which is almost Earth-like takes less effort than terraforming a barren rock with no atmosphere whatsoever. Let's say it's 10-20 degrees colder than Earth, but otherwise it's okay. You could heat it up a bit by inducing a greenhouse effect in the atmosphere. No O2, but lots of CO2? Plant some algae there, they'll slowly transform the air to be breathable.
Before you dismiss the aforementioned two ideas as bullshit, people who get paid for coming up with such things came up with those. They probably know a lot more about the topic than you and me combined.
Okay, and I think that's a bland and boring outcome, however probable. I prefer the "we overcome" scenario which the topic should be about (see the first post).

The possible entertainment for you has no relevance to the scientific viability.
And how do you know that? We might not even be able to build such craft. Physics, woo.

How do I know what? How do I know that you don't need 1.2 billion years to research craft that can escape our solar system? Well... We've already built spacecraft that have the potential to escape our solar system. They're named the Voyager I & II.
If I knew that answer I'd be discussing this with a board of scientists while drinking the most expensive booze and getting blown by the most expensive hookers money can buy, instead of trying to exchange ideas on a message board.

We are exchanging ideas. I'm simply refuting yours because I think they're ridiculous.
You can't know what direction science takes by that point. Perhaps we'd be better suited for moving planets than creating drives which are capable of interstellar travel. Or maybe we'll go extinct before that even becomes an issue. You can't talk in plain statements here, unless you possess some seer-like powers.

Yes, I can. I do indeed posses the knowledge to assert that building a craft that has the power to escape our solar system will require less time, effort and resources than building a gigantic drive that has the power to push the earth, a mass of 5.9 sextillion tonnes, around. Besides, if someone would actually commence the construction of such a ridiculous project, it would most likely consume all of the earth's riches. What would be left to save then?
Well of course I don't have an idea on how terraforming works exactly, but neither do you (if you did, you'd be doing the things I mentioned above).

This is an assumption based on one observation: me posting in a forum. I assumed you didn't know what you were talking about (and still do) since I observed you thought it was a good idea to try and move the earth about.
But just think about this: terraforming a planet which is almost Earth-like takes less effort than terraforming a barren rock with no atmosphere whatsoever. Let's say it's 10-20 degrees colder than Earth, but otherwise it's okay. You could heat it up a bit by inducing a greenhouse effect in the atmosphere. No O2, but lots of CO2? Plant some algae there, they'll slowly transform the air to be breathable.

Ok, but have you any idea of the effort and time such a process takes? The earth's atmosphere is some 4.2 billion cubic kilometres in volume. Let's say you start off with 1 billion cubic kilometres of CO2, O2, ... Where are you going to get those? Magic? Besides, transporting all of that, how are you going to pull that off? "Terraforming" is by no means a business of "little effort", and is mostly a science fiction technology that has never been tested. In theory it would work over hundreds, thousands of years, but I don't see how Humans could do that. We don't know of planets that are within our reach that have almost the same properties as the earth and are thus potential candidates for terraforming. The planets that we know of would take generations to reach. You're not gonna send thousands of ships back and forth for generations just to transport a large amount of gas.
Before you dismiss the aforementioned two ideas as bullshit, people who get paid for coming up with such things came up with those. They probably know a lot more about the topic than you and me combined.[/QUOTE]
f=m*a syens