Ranking
Original Post
GunControl
"Proponents of more gun control laws state that the Second Amendment was intended for militias; that gun violence would be reduced;
that gun restrictions have always existed; and that a majority of Americans, including gun owners, support new gun restrictions."
What are your Opinions on this whole gun control idea
I support and I am cusrious to see your reasons and what you have to say on it.
http://gun-control.procon.org/
this is the site where I got the quote from and topic.
There is a new gun control topic made every year, almost like clockwork, with the most recent one I found here. A couple of other threads have also turned to gun control briefly, this one being the only one I found on my brief search.

My stance is the same as it always has been. Responsible people owning and carrying a gun, either openly or concealed, can only contribute to the safety of those around them. Legal acquisition and possession of firearms is a must of course, and education for everyone who buys a gun on how to properly store it (either with a lock or out of reach of children) should be a regular required course (once every five years or so).
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Firstly, treat guns like you treat cars + the usual proposed regulations. Required background checks on purchase, licensing, insurance, training, and testing. If we can't trust people to operate a vehicle without all those things, we certainly can't trust people with literal killing machines. Storage needs to be regulated to prevent domestic accidents with firearms, and failure of compliance needs hefty fines and/or jailtime.

Frankly, I also don't think you should be able to walk around with anything other than a concealed handgun without being harassed by police. Walking around with a rifle in public isn't for security, it's for intimidation.

Gun manufacturing itself needs to be regulated so that safety and security features are built into the weapons to prevent accidents and misuse - e.g. fingerprint readers on the weapon that verify that it's being held by the registered owner before use.

You might notice that none of these take guns away from good people. All of them either prevent bad people from obtaining guns, prevent them from using stolen ones, or prevent unfortunate accidents. There really isn't any rational argument against any of this.
Last edited by pouffy; Nov 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
Pouffy, I just wanted to point out a couple of things/get additional input from you.
Originally Posted by Pouffy View Post
Storage needs to be regulated to prevent domestic accidents with firearms, and failure of compliance needs hefty fines and/or jailtime.

I don't think that storage should necessarily be regulated, if we're talking about the same type of thing (always locked away, ammo locked in separate case). Remember, the more locks you put between you and the gun, the more difficult it will be to get at the gun in a hurry if you/your family is in danger. Keeping a gun unloaded is common sense and practice, but if it is in a place where children cannot reach it, there shouldn't be a reason to put it in a lockbox as well. My handgun is kept in an unlocked drawer, but is stored with a loaded magazine next to it (not inside the gun) and the gun itself has one of these going through it. However if there are no children/irresponsibles in the household, I believe that step can be skipped.

Originally Posted by Pouffy View Post
Gun manufacturing itself needs to be regulated so that safety and security features are built into the weapons to prevent accidents and misuse - e.g. fingerprint readers on the weapon that verify that it's being held by the registered owner before use.

Fingerprint sensors are still a very unreliable technology and can turn a gun into a paperweight at the drop of a hat. Additionally, it prevents friends from swapping guns while target shooting/hunting. Existing safety precautions are, in my opinion, perfectly sufficient.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Yeah, I should have noted as a caveat that fingerprint technology is still kinda ass, but it's a worthy developmental goal, and it's just a good general example of making weapons more secure.

I mean, people talk all the time about how gun control is useless because people steal guns etc. which does have a grain of truth to it. The Sandy Hook shooter, for example, stole the weapon he used from his mom (i think?) before he shot her. Wouldn't have been an issue if a reliable fingerprint or some other technology locked him out. Moving past gun control stigma and funding R&D into these fields should be something we work towards.

Storage is a big deal. The chance that there is some domestic fatality or injury involving a firearm skyrockets when you bring a legally purchased gun into the home. Most people are responsible, but it's also true that the occurrence of accidents is just too high. I mean it sounds like your practice is pretty safe and reasonable, but there are people obviously not even taking the steps you are, which should change.
Correct on the Sandy Hook event. There is no mention I could find on how the gun was stored, so he likely either forced access (those loops I linked claim to be bolt cutter resistant, but I've never tested it) or his mother trusted him enough to leave it fairly accessible.

However, there is still a ton of work needed to be put into any sort of personalized security technology, and until it has been tested a thousand times over and proven to be reliable, I'll stick with my good old locks and keys. The Zore is something that came up on my YouTube ads a while back, and it looks really interesting. Personalized security with what should be proven technologies (minus perhaps the remote unlocking aspect). I'll be interested to see how this develops.

I feel like a lot of the accidental deaths that occur from guns stems from straight up irresponsible storage. Leaving a gun loaded in a drawer, not keeping it out of the reach of children, etc. The vast majority of this can be cured with proper instruction on how to handle and store firearms. Currently there is no such instruction required where I live (Illinois, which is one of the strictest states on gun control in the US). All I needed to do to get a firearms license was fill out some paperwork that has the same questions as a job application (are you a felon, are you an illegal immigrant, etc) and give the store clerk $15. After a month I got a card and could walk into a store with a wad of cash and purchase a gun. If there was some sort of mandatory class that was given when applying for a firearms license (or in states where a license is not required, whenever a firearm is purchased), that would be ideal. And perhaps adding a requirement that the class needs to be retaken periodically (every five years or so) would further decrease the risk of undesirables gaining access to household firearms.
It's all about the people who own the guns, you may be responsible, but you also may have kids that will find the gun and use it, and there are also nutheads out that are pretty irresponsible with guns aswell.

I think gun laws should be a bit more strict, but not completely unreasonable, like banishing guns as a whole.
T Y N N
N O H O M O W E S M O K I N P E N I S E S