Toribash
Original Post
Attack on Sony
I'm sure most of you have heard about the recent hack on Sony Entertainment which leaked a lot of personal information of thousands of individuals including e-mails, texts, addresses, and even social security numbers.. And then there was another one which leaked a lot of films that Sony had in post production.. And then there is the threat over the showing of the film The Interview..
What I'd mostly like to discuss is how the hackers (which they're saying was North Korea), threatened to blow up theaters that would show the film, and in response, theaters have refused to air the film...
This is actually considered a terrorist threat, and the entertainment business have succumbed to their demands as they have dropped the film.. To do as you are told by a foreign nation.. Complying to their demands and letting them censor your (other nation's) freedom of expression is too much.
I really like this quote by George Clooney in an interview about the issue, which really puts in to words how big a deal I think this is:
"Understand what is going on right now, because the world just changed on your watch, and you weren’t even paying attention."

I really want to hear all of your opinions on the issue, so please post and discuss.

Link to an article about the issue

Link to The Interview IMDB page

Link to George Clooney interview
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Ok, you asked for opinion so I assume no one will hate when I say that its overall kinda stupid we are making such a big deal about this. Look, I understand they can get a lot of our personal information through hacking such as this, but does that necessarily mean they can harm us? Do you really expect North Koreans to set spies in America to steal your information? What would they do with it? Steal your money? They have no use for an American dollar? North Korea did say they promised "9/11 like attacks" if Sony released the movie, but that feels like a bit much, we have to remember North Korea has very outdated technology, they even photoshop extra tanks on their propaganda, yes, they do have WMD's but even that is really not a threat. If they were to use their weapons in any way, the whole U.N would crack down on them.

Also, Sony is ultimately a Japanese company, it started in Japan and its headquarters reside in Japan. So are they really attacking us? Or Japan, I mean the attack may be on American citizens working for Sony, but ultimately it affects Sony the most, they are the ones being hacked and it is their employees information that are being leaked.

Alright, here's my opinion, laters
Originally Posted by Reliks View Post
I understand they can get a lot of our personal information through hacking such as this, but does that necessarily mean they can harm us? Do you really expect North Koreans to set spies in America to steal your information? What would they do with it? Steal your money? They have no use for an American dollar?

North Korea doesn't want YOUR money. They want Sony's money (or at least for it to go away). If they hack Sony's employee database and release their personal information, then someone else can steal Sony's money. Suddenly, Sony has a lot less money and a few Joe Shmoes now have a million stolen dollars each.

North Korea has very outdated technology, they even photoshop extra tanks on their propaganda, yes, they do have WMD's but even that is really not a threat. If they were to use their weapons in any way, the whole U.N would crack down on them.

Regardless of how advanced their missile guidance systems are, they HAVE NUCLEAR CAPABILITIES, and regardless of how quickly the UN reacts, the damage will have already been done. At that point, it would just be mutually assured destruction, and would therefore deter other nations from interfering.

Also, Sony is ultimately a Japanese company, it started in Japan and its headquarters reside in Japan. So are they really attacking us?

Sony Pictures Television is US-based. It was originally known as Pioneer Telefilms, was bought and renamed to Columbia Pictures Television in 1974, and then bought out by Sony in 2004. So North Korea did their research when they decided they wanted to threaten someone.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Sony's decision was a business decision. If they release it, a theater shows it willingly, and the theater gets blown up, Sony is in a massive public relations problem. In addition, the threat of attack probably caused other film studios with movies coming out for the holiday season to ask Sony to pull the film, as the threats might cause reduced ticket sales.

It's important to note that what Sony does is up to Sony, not America. Just because America has a "don't negotiate with terrorists" stance does not mean everyone, including their own citizens, is obligated to follow it. The stance only influences government practice.

And how is the censoring of information any different from what happens to us anyways? Ask about almost any global issue and you can be almost certain that somebody, somewhere, has censored the information you receive about that issue in some way. It's only when it's done through threats of violence that people suddenly start caring. Freedom of expression requires freedom of information for it to be meaningful.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Honestly, taking a country seriously that pays hackers to stop a film from being published is just pathetic.
North Korea is an enemy of the Western world. By showing that a petty threat makes people go mad they just proved a weakness.
They pretty much cancelled a film because something might happen at some point. I see trolls on the internet making better threats to feminists.

Here is some internet dude explaining how lame that decision was for your personal entertainment.
The attack is on Sony, not America. The fact that the threat is from a corrupt nation led by terrible people makes no difference to the morality or legitimacy of Sony's decision. There was a supposed bomb threat and they didn't want to risk showing the film (which didn't get great ratings anyway). If they did show the film it wouldn't necessarily be seen as standing up for good old democracy and freedom of expression, it would have been seen as a way to get money. Sony would probably be boycotted by a lot if people if they had went on to show the film and it got bombed. As I mentioned earlier it shouldn't matter whether the bomb threat is from Korea or from an individual terrorist (although an individual would most likely be arrested before the film was showed).

Overreaction or not, this is just a copany making the choice to be safe rather than potentially sorry/blamed for a terrorist attack.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
The attack is on Sony, not America. The fact that the threat is from a corrupt nation led by terrible people makes no difference to the morality or legitimacy of Sony's decision. There was a supposed bomb threat and they didn't want to risk showing the film (which didn't get great ratings anyway). If they did show the film it wouldn't necessarily be seen as standing up for good old democracy and freedom of expression, it would have been seen as a way to get money. Sony would probably be boycotted by a lot if people if they had went on to show the film and it got bombed. As I mentioned earlier it shouldn't matter whether the bomb threat is from Korea or from an individual terrorist (although an individual would most likely be arrested before the film was showed).

Overreaction or not, this is just a copany making the choice to be safe rather than potentially sorry/blamed for a terrorist attack.

we wouldn't really have to worry about having a terrorist attack made if the USA were a bit more aggressive toward North Korea. even the Czech Republic had more balls. North Korea isn't very capable of anything anyway, if they had the power to do a terrorist attack, why the hell haven't they already?

Discord: bicycleforrats
<[Obey]Quest> yall needa tap into my telegram on gad
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Cardholder
Because it cost much less to just pretend that they have attacked America to all their citizens. I agree that Sony most likely has nothing to fear but it isn't unthinkable that they could get someone to smuggle a bomb into premier. The theatres could just be on high security while the film is showing but that would be up to the theatre rather than to do with Sony.
Good morning sweet princess
Proto, they had armed security at the premieres before it got cancelled. NK is a paper tiger, but Sony doesn't want to get sued, and theaters don't want people avoiding them because of a threatened '9/11' style attack. Releasing the movie in theaters would be hazardous for Sony and damaging to the theaters. Whether or not it's justifiable, it's at least understandable. If we were Sony, we'd probably do the same thing.

We should also keep in mind we don't know everything. There could be some further threat to release saucy emails that Sony doesn't want released and that might also be why they capitulated. We also don't know who did it. NK's denying involvement.