ES Recruitment Drive
If we can recreate the human brain fully then we can recreate consciousness. There's nothing magical about the emergence of consciousness - it arises from chemical reactions within the brain, we know this as a scientific fact.
Let's not get into a discussion as to whether it will ever be possible technologically. Technology is moving so fast that I can't really see anybody here being able to claim they know where we are at with it right now. Just looking around me (in school's physic's department's small library right now) I can see a 491 page book on "computer models of the fundamental mechanisms of thought" called 'Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies' with nine pages of references, most of which I have never heard of. It was published in more than a decade ago and only covers a decade and a half of research. Imagine how much further we have got, and how much faster we are going with our research today. Although we shouldn't shy away from topics because they are difficult, we should probably wait until at least one person knows what they are talking about first.

TL;DR: In this thread keep to ethics, not science.
Last edited by Zelda; Apr 23, 2016 at 10:57 AM.
Good morning sweet princess
Robots huh... Well I'll put it like this, if you say "not the robot has no soul, but its self aware." then I would say that it doesn't matter either way. If you want to set it free to live its life then thats fine, as long as its not problematic. If you want to rule over it like a tyrant then sure why not, it doesn't have a "soul" so that means its just a piece of property with a collection of memories.

P.S. What I define as a soul is a component that gives an organism a higher meaning in life then just survival, an non-material thing that exist beyond death.
AnimePlanetMyAnimeListDiscord: Kohta#1577 • NikosTunaPouffyAubreyGuessTenRythm
• No longer "active" on Toribash. Leave a PM if you need something, I'll eventually see it. •
• Crippled/Disabled girls are the best girls a guy could have. •
So something you have no proof of the existence of in humans?
Originally Posted by K0HTA View Post
Robots huh... Well I'll put it like this, if you say "not the robot has no soul, but its self aware." then I would say that it doesn't matter either way. If you want to set it free to live its life then thats fine, as long as its not problematic. If you want to rule over it like a tyrant then sure why not, it doesn't have a "soul" so that means its just a piece of property with a collection of memories.

P.S. What I define as a soul is a component that gives an organism a higher meaning in life then just survival, an non-material thing that exist beyond death.

How dose a human have a higher meaning in life than survival?
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
Originally Posted by AlphaN00b View Post
now i'm wondering how the fuck can robots feel ?
there is alot of fucking words that make you feel something
what people say,how they say it and when they say it
i cant mind talking with a robot having feelings
the ability of learning is completely possible and exist but to learn being human is something else
do you think a robot will be as smart as you ?
no it cant be
do you think a robot will be stand alone and go against humanity?
completely impossible
well if there is something can prove that making robots with feelings and stuff just like humans show it to me.
you wont find anything probably :P

Eventually human tech will be able to do this. How? I don't know, i'm not some sort of grade A mad scientist. Although if I would have to take a guess it would be some sort of premade personality, like a humans. That combined with the ability to learn a process information would likely make a robot almost indestinguisable against a human. Or atleast I think so.
The Future is Bulletproof
"How r people still in jail? Just make alts lol" -Wizard
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Let's not get into a discussion as to whether it will ever be possible technologically. Technology is moving so fast that I can't really see anybody here being able to claim they know where we are at with it right now. Just looking around me (in school's physic's department's small library right now) I can see a 491 page book on "computer models of the fundamental mechanisms of thought" called 'Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies' with nine pages of references, most of which I have never heard of. It was published in more than a decade ago and only covers a decade and a half of research. Imagine how much further we have got, and how much faster we are going with our research today. Although we shouldn't shy away from topics because they are difficult, we should probably wait until at least one person knows what they are talking about first.

TL;DR: In this thread keep to ethics, not science.

Originally Posted by Seth93z View Post
Eventually human tech will be able to do this. How? I don't know, i'm not some sort of grade A mad scientist. Although if I would have to take a guess it would be some sort of premade personality, like a humans. That combined with the ability to learn a process information would likely make a robot almost indestinguisable against a human. Or atleast I think so.

Notice the 5 line post asking you not to talk about whether it is technologically possible.
Last edited by Zelda; Apr 26, 2016 at 03:20 AM.
Yea sorry, I only read the post above mine and replied to that.
And if we're talking about ethnics then I think robots shouldn't be made able to feel. They should only be made to do tasks for whoever owns them. Anything else will just cause unneeded trouble seeing as it will only make yet another group of "people" for everyone to discriminate.
Last edited by Seth; Apr 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM.
The Future is Bulletproof
"How r people still in jail? Just make alts lol" -Wizard
The main difference between machines and humans other than the fact that they can't think for themselves, but have the ability to process large amounts of information very quickly. In order to have feelings, I believe you need to have the ability to learn build information and make hypothesis without a guaranteed goal. I highly doubt with the capability of the two things machines and humans possess combined would lead to any "take over disaster." If anything, they would be more capeable at expansion and would appreciate the value in knowledge. These robots would be able to calculate the value in general decency some of us have problems with because they can do it at such a fast rate. These machines won't require redundant competition because it would simply hold them back. These robots could probably come up with a way to stop killing period by utilizing every which solution possible. That's note for a major breakthrough.

The egocentric mind that things need to be controlled and the fact that some of us indeed now have to be, is our limiting factor and block as an evolving society. We have been drilled that deterrence and might are the only ways you can get anywhere. Machines that can process millions will not be subjugated to destroying themselves and others for trivial world dominance. If anything, they would be more interested in going to Mars.

If we had a super machine processing at quantum or electric speed with feelings, our opportunities would be as endless as generated numbers on a webpage. Robots with feelings is not a bad idea at all imo.

Humans are also too damn afraid of change.
Last edited by Link; Apr 27, 2016 at 07:59 AM.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
anything is made to benefit the humanity, should benefit the humanity, the possibility for a robot to have feelings is pretty low (in my opinion).
because they don't really have a brain/heart or even soul, which are the main things which make us ''humans'' I wouldn't think a bunch of metalic pipes and electronic pieces would make feelings exist in a robot, so yeah.
anyways,
But if I found two robots loving each other, probably because I'm a ''human'' I wouldn't like to separate between them.
and probably would make them live.
Proud member of Thief