Ranking
Original Post
Judo - SP Annoyance
It's just something that's bugging me. Pitifully minor, but it's bugging me none the less so I'm getting it out.

Some people are morons when it comes to relating game modes with specific skills. I'm not saying any names, but it just irks me deep down inside when I'm reading comments on single player videos and somebody says "oh i'd hate to face you in the judo servers."

Why? Because the person is demonstrating a complete lack of either 1) logic, or 2) eyesight. Reasoning? Because single player is a precise practice, resulted from refining moves down to 1 frame at a time. Judo is 70 turn frames, where hitting first is greater emphasis than hitting stylish. To the best of my knowledge, good single player people are at most decent at judo. I rarely see a good single player person playing well in judo.

So my god, to those few clueless people out there, think before you post. Judo is NOT comparable to single player. Be afraid in a mode like aikido or taek kyon.

Also, I'm posting it here because wibbles is too off-topic for this to be taken seriously, and discussion seemed a little too serious for this.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Judo is, along with Wushu, a highly luck-based mode (Yeah, mode. Not mod, as it's only game rule changes). Some might argue against this, but let me settle this.

Judo is, as Oracle said, about hitting first. If you hit first, you are likely to get the first dismembement. That means many relaxed frames for the opponent, whilst your force goes on. This gives you an ideal position to DQ your enemy next turn. I have never ever seen a stylish game of Judo. It seems like when I was a beginner. I pulled a move, waited for five-six turns, then changed one joint. It looks so horrible.

Wushu, now. That's a stylish mode. But most people make premade moves, simply because they don't dare to improvise and because it's effective. With its long turn frame and engage distance, it's the ideal mod to make moves and follow through in. For instance, who haven't seen the legs-spread-wide, arm down-behind-the-back-sweep? It is effective, which is why it is so much used.

These two modes are not very good spectator modes. Single Player is ONLY a spectator way of playing. I will also say, as an aikido enthusiast, that aikido is also very watcher-friendly as it can deliver both enduring, intense games and the really swift DQ. Both highly entertaining. TK is another mod that will entertain a viewer.

Still, your point is single player, and you're right. I want to be good at single player myself. For all you single players: I love what you're doing, but I hate you for doing it so well!

Toribash needs several variations of players. Single Player, as the most stylish players. Aikido/TK players, as the players who read the enemy's move the most, and Judo/Wushu players, who plan and plan to find the ultimate move.
id say most mode/mods are based on luck. lets say you vs a blackbelt who n00b grabs. and your opener is to contract knees. you will lose. but in mp you dont KNOW what hes gonna do. so if your lucky, you get to win. if your not, you lose. simple
Clanless? Join The Chosen Ones User was supported by SAN STUDIOS!
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
along with Wushu, a highly luck-based mode. Some might argue against this, but let me settle this.

That they will.

Despite relatively long turn frames, wushu distance always allows you to make a decision whether to engage or not. In judo/KB you are locked in attack range right off the bat - there is no calculating/avoiding initial attack, which brings most games to an end quick. In wushu i can just jump to the side or back, avoid initial memorized opener, and approach opponent carefully at my own leisure.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
In judo/KB you are locked in attack range right off the bat - there is no calculating/avoiding initial attack, which brings most games to an end quick.

I disagree with the bolded mode and your statement. There is a certain amount of calculation involved in the initial attack. A good kb player can deflect an opponents kick with their spare hand, or their own kicking leg if they determine that the trade-off won't go in their favor.

Judo is rock, paper, scissors 99.9% of the time so I'm not disagreeing with you there.

Also, to explain a bit further what I mean, Judo is too close and too long a turn frame for single player people to be comfortable. Wushu, in the initial rounds, make them the same as everyone else, but they tend to be fairly competent at generating momentum, improvisation, and doing comebacks. In TK and Aikido, they usually shine because they have a strong knowledge of joint weaknesses and manipulating momentum to their advantage.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
Toribash needs several variations of players. Single Player, as the most stylish players. Aikido/TK players, as the players who read the enemy's move the most, and Judo/Wushu players, who plan and plan to find the ultimate move.

Discreetly, there already is.

I dare say that most SPers loooooove TK.
I love me some tk and aikido. Also I totally suck at judo. Noob clap ftw right?

This completely applies to me.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Aikido and Sambo are the only MP mods that appeal to me. TK is too awkward, classic has too much DMing, you're screwed if you fuck up your opener in Wushu, Betabox is much like Classic, KB is ruined by DQ and Judo is just plain luck.

By the way, I play aikido and sambo using only one hand to grab at a time. It keeps you free and the gameplay fair.
infamous
I agree with every word you said, OrAclE. People that are good at SP are usually also pretty good at Aikido. Judo is too random.

Also this thread is just fine here.
♠NO♠