Ranking
Original Post
rework on grab mechanics
as we all know th current grab mechanics works as solid line connection that apply alot of force while it's connected without any flexibility what leads to eather dms or in case of general aikido matches deformation of body, and alot of crap.

by making grabs breakable and changing the way they are applied will make gameplay much more rich and less raw.

so, let's start with the way grab works. if grab will work like ball axis connection, allowing rotation on all 3 axises or so, annoying shit like double torso grabs in aikido mods would not deform toribody and break the way joints work, in shork, you will be still connected to your opponent, but in much more fluid and flexible way, that except solving doublegrabs bs it will also look good and will be realistic.

sounds good, right?
yeah, but not entirely, the last thing that needs to be added is to make grabs breakable. yeah, you can break the grab and give that scrub that glued to you like a parasite a nice kick in the ass, or so.
why it's good? you will actually had to use brain to grab people, be able to break it and get free instead of ending up in hugs of a scrub.

when these 2 elements are combined we are going to get an effective, interesting, realistic, fluid and NOT broken way to grab people that any mod with or without grabs may benefit from.

like aikido, lenshu, tk, and may be even wushu (in case of wushu - only if the grab threshold is very low ofc)
It will be great if toribash becomes more realistic.
Surely that inflexible and unbreakable grips do not contribute for the "violence PERFECTED" tagged on toribash logo.

I really appreciate the idea of reworking the grab mechanics. It will bring new experiences and a thousand more of perspectives for the game.

If you can make the change optional, It will be fair for everybody.
Last edited by iver; Apr 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Make grabbing less lame
Hi, I've been playing this game for pretty much no time at all, a few days basically. The main problem that I have is that I keep trying to do cool moves and my opponents in multiplayer keep grabbing me and holding on for dear life. There are game modes named jousting, judo etc but in the current state you should really just rename them all "Wrestling" and be done with it, because for the people who prioritize winning that's really what it comes down to for the most part.

I don't really know how to fix this, as grabbing does have a place in the game but maybe it could be more realistic - instead of the grab having more "integrity" than joints between body parts (ie you can rip off a grabbed arm but you can't free yourself from the grab by pulling away), grabs could have a lower dismemberment value than most joints. It could even be realistic, for example when you're grabbing someone's shoulder (irl) you really don't have a very good grip, but if you're grabbing someone's wrist or ankle you can hold on pretty well. Grabbing someone's head with one hand (irl) is pretty much impossible unless you're basically just placing the hand on top of the head and pushing down or something similar. I really think some mechanics like these would give the game a lot more depth and coolness, as well as allow some of the really sweet freeplay moves to be viable in multiplayer as opposed to the dull wrestling matches.

Merged your thread with a similar thread. /L

Edit: Thanks Lazor, sorry for not searching before posting.
Last edited by datsuag; Jul 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
OK why does every one want ball based grabs irl when you grab something its like a Toribash grab and rotation achieved while holding something irl is a combination of your entire arm not how your hand holds something Toribash grabs are realistic grabs are breakable just snap your opponents wrist
I don't like military time, I prefer metric or imperial.
Originally Posted by thebaddas View Post
OK why does every one want ball based grabs irl when you grab something its like a Toribash grab and rotation achieved while holding something irl is a combination of your entire arm not how your hand holds something Toribash grabs are realistic grabs are breakable just snap your opponents wrist

try to read OP once again, thanks
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I just did if I'm missing something please point it out. What I'm slaying is that grabs don't rotate an a ball axis irl its in your wrist arm and shoulder so there's no reason for this.
I just did if I'm missing something please point it out. What I'm slaying is that grabs don't rotate an a ball axis irl its in your wrist arm and shoulder so there's no reason for this.

It's a gameplay mechanic, not a design choice.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore

except toris to deform on grabs and too much force, unless you don't consider it to be a significant flaw.
tell me about aikido
There used to be a previous thread about this, but I think breakable grabs could be a problem for some mods. The toggle off and on feature could help.

I just think grab glitching needs to be fixed.
Acualy no I don't seeing as toribash is not a simulator nor is it advertised as one , its a game . Also things tend to get broken when people try to fix things that aren't. But thank you for clarifying

Lazors even so it reflects real grabs we there a mechanic or design choice
Last edited by kr0mus; Jul 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Acualy no I don't seeing as toribash is not a simulator nor is it advertised as one , its a game . Also things tend to get broken when people try to fix things that aren't. But thank you for clarifying

Lazors even so it reflects real grabs we there a mechanic or design choice

try playing game longer to understand
tell me about aikido