Toribash
Original Post
Art Beginner
I’ve been drawing “generic” anime for some years now, and it seems to look fine, but everybody I show my drawings to says I need to use templates & similr stuff. Is it bad not to use bases and templates?
Reference: ( some quick thing I whipped up real quick)
-----
Sorry, this is the drawing:
Last edited by GRANDPY; Nov 17, 2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
link broken, here's the image:

Using references is not a bad thing, you're actually learning how the thing looks.

The drawing is not bad, but it looks really weird overall. The eye is ultra detailed while the rest looks like a sketch, the side of the head looks really flat. Just try to use some references and learn perspective/3D, it'll help a lot.

You seem to be getting the hang of some things though; the lines on the eye really doesn't look bad, so you can do stuff.
retired replaymaker | discord: victortb#9592
Yeah, I see what you're saying about the eye -head comparison now. I'll continue practicing on that; I have an older college book I got from some store on art with many examples of perspective & crosshatching,etc. , so that'll help
-----
Yeah, I see what you're saying about the eye -head comparison now. I'll continue practicing on that; I have an older college book I got from some store on art with many examples of perspective & crosshatching,etc. , so that'll help.
Last edited by GRANDPY; Nov 20, 2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump