Toribash
Original Post
School suspensions
Well, I have noticed that they have been getting much, much more harsh on kids. Today, My adopted son was attacked at the bus stop by a quite large student and was stabbed like 2-3cm below the eye by the guys pen. In self defense, he did what he had to do and ended up breaking the large kids femur.

So, I was called in and was told as to what happened, the bus driver witnessed the whole thing btw. The principal expected me to agree with his decision and scold Aaron(my adopted kid), I disagreed with him and explained him that "if you get stabbed and blood is pouring out your face, you would too", in which he quickly agreed to. He stated that he would, and he himself would do much of a better job hurting them on account that it was so close to his eye, but said "Defending ones self has its own consequences".

I knew who he was, seeing as I went to this high school not so long ago(round 3 years), and he clearly had some manor of distaste for me.
When I went in and was discussing this between the large child's family and me and my wife, we both agreed to have mutual respect and find some alternative to suspension, no matter my great opposition for suspending Aaron anyway because he had really done nothing wrong.

I used some counter examples to say why defending his self was right and he should not be punished for protecting himself.

My counterexamples were: 9/11, The terrorists 'attacked' us(used '' for conspiracy believers) and we hit back twice as hard and pretty much have destroyed a country and a half in the process, we have yet to be penalized for protecting ourselves.

Their response to this was; sir, we aren't discussing countries here. We understand it is conceptually the same, but, this is our policy.

I declared them anti-american after they stated that, saying that they were calling our counter attack on terrorism wrong.

When I did this, the principal got really pissed and started saying that the school policy is such and it must be enforced, whether it is moral or not.

My 2nd example: Way back to world war 2, The jews who did not defend themselves or run away got crushed. If you expect people not to defend themselves, they will get crushed.

They said that the jews who were left got a country of their own, my response was that if it had continued, there would be none of them left, and continued to make my point about self defense being 'legal' in a school.

My son got suspended for 3 weeks and has a school court hearing to discuss this matter.

I am going to leave an appointment with the superintendent to see if he can pull some strings or something to change the policy/at least help in some way.

I think that schools now are going way overboard with their decisions and I refuse to believe that today's children are bad, or worse then us, yet they are getting countless days/weeks removed from their life/education because of the blasphemy that they are submitted to each day.

What are your opinions on children being suspended for large amounts of time for very little to no reason?
Hoss.
My current school has a 0 tolerance policy where if you get in a fight, even if you do not even throw a punch or be aggressive, you get a suspension. I agree with self defense, if I was to be attacked like that, I may have just choked the kid unconscious for my personal safety.
[r]aid
^
Which is complete bullshit. Why should I get in trouble when somebody starts a fight and I finish it?
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
Harsh...
That's Terrible For you and Aaron. But it's hery hard to follow who's side. While I admit your son had every right to defend himself, he could've done so better. Though, I suppose If the larger kid was threatening his life, Then yes, I could understand why he would stab him. But unless the larger kid was just a typical school bully. Then there could'v been other ways to solve that sort of problem. I do like your examples though. You do make very good points as well, And I hope that you and your son will make it through this.

~Trottlyert~
The larger kid stabbed him. Aaron broke the larger kids femur :o
Hoss.
Originally Posted by ToXiKz View Post
My counterexamples were: 9/11, The terrorists 'attacked' us(used '' for conspiracy believers) and we hit back twice as hard and pretty much have destroyed a country and a half in the process, we have yet to be penalized for protecting ourselves.

Their response to this was; sir, we aren't discussing countries here. We understand it is conceptually the same, but, this is our policy.

I declared them anti-american after they stated that, saying that they were calling our counter attack on terrorism wrong.

When I did this, the principal got really pissed and started saying that the school policy is such and it must be enforced, whether it is moral or not.

My 2nd example: Way back to world war 2, The jews who did not defend themselves or run away got crushed. If you expect people not to defend themselves, they will get crushed.

They said that the jews who were left got a country of their own, my response was that if it had continued, there would be none of them left, and continued to make my point about self defense being 'legal' in a school.

Way to pick two retarded examples. The 'counter-attack' on terrorism was wrong. America was allowed to raze an entire nation in the name of 'international security' because no-one had the balls to go up to America and tell them to stop being so retarded, because the entire world depended, and still does, on America, especially Europe. Pretty much 3/4 of all European countries that have troops in the Middle East now have no reason to be there at all, other than being America's bitch.

The second example is simply preposterous, there weren't as many Jews that defended themselves as you might think. Many were tricked into captivity by being offered work, or simply being outright taken by surprise. It's not a matter of 'not defending yourself'. You can't defend yourself from a squad of military personnel that have you at gunpoint, that have their mind set on taking you captive. Oh and the Jews didn't liberate themselves, the Allies did. So, again, it's not a matter of self defense, they were defended by the rest of the world because they were being treated unjust. That, and because Hitler was a threat to the entire world.

Not saying your son didn't just act out of reason or anything, but really, don't use examples like that.
If you wanted good examples you should've picked the French Resistance or something along those lines, or even America's independence if you're such a patriot.
You make me rage.

also lol getting off topic
Oh! Right, I totally knew that the larger kid was the one who stabbed the victom xP But anyway, If the larger kid was the one who stabbed, he should be the one taking the blame. Not your son because used self defence.
As for me. I'm in highschool now, and things are a bit different here. For example in elementary school, some kid was picking on me and I told him off, he then got really pissed off and punched me. Though the punch hurt a bit, it was only in the cheek, and didn't break any teeth. I immediate turned around and punched him straight in the nose and broke it, then continued on to punch him in the stomach a couple times. Afterwards I began to walk away. A teacher had seen the kid punch me first, because of this I didn't get in trouble at all, I had to visit a counsler as they thought I might have anger issues. Although it was concluded I don't and I will say that I am naturally a non-aggresive and peaceful person.

Now though, I believe in highschool here they have a 0 tolerance policy. Though I believe the middle school in my area still has the self defense policy saying any student can take action as long as it's in self-defense. I've never took the time to notice, if someone makes a move first, I will finish it with no regards of the rules.

I've also had a discussion with a friend recently, in a simliar matter. If someone has a gun pointed at me and I happen to have a gun to fight back with. I am sure that I could shoot and kill a person with no regrets if my life is on the line. Some people look at this and say stuff like "Oh jeez, wouldn't that bother you at all?", my response to those questions are another question being "What do you think the military does, play child games?".
I'm still a kid but I've been brought up not to fight back, my twin brother is a temperamental bully towards me and likes to smack me around. I've hit him back once or twice and quickly put him to the ground, now what happens with that scenario is that I get the blame put untoward me for attacking/hurting my brother when the reality is I just counter his punches. I see why you would attack someone for being stabbed by them. Only last year on the bus ride home from school I was punched in the face, 3-5cm below the eye and a blood vessel was burst. If I could've I would've punched right back but the kid ran away (he was two years older than me and did it for a laugh) I didn't know he burst the blood vessel until the other kids sitting around me noticed a bulge growing beneath my eye and not 5 seconds later I too could see it, I was temporally blinded in my right eye, got court involved. The attacker got away scot free, I was almost suspended for school for not even fighting back but "Aggravating your attacker". If sitting on a bus gets you suspended these days the assaulter should immediately get imprisoned.

Aside from that I've never got into a fight. I won't fight back because of that incident, surely a 3 day suspension would've been fine because I was under police protection and didn't go to school anyway for recovery.
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy
Manxie, that completely removed your character as a man when you grow up though. We are supposed to let nothing hurt us or our families, thats how we have been conditioned since our birth, thats how it should be.
Hoss.