Ranking
Original Post
Heavy Metal as a Religion
http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-1886350.html

International Day of Slayer - June 6, 2010

May 11, 2010
Back in 2006, the "National Day of Slayer" launched as an alternative to the "National Day of Prayer." Holidays commemorate events of great importance or things that bring us great joy. Slayer qualifies as both, and as an excellent spokesperson for the heavy metal movement worldwide.

It's unclear how many metalheads exist on earth, but a tentative number of 100 million seems likely. And when we see metalheads listing heavy metal as their religion on the census, it's clear that an international holiday for metal is not a far-fetched idea.

This year on June 6, as every year on June 6, help advance the cause by publicly demonstrating that you are a metalhead who appreciates the subtle genius of Slayer:

How to Celebrate

Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.
DO NOT use headphones! The objective of this day is for everyone within earshot to understand that it is the National Day of Slayer. National holidays in America aren't just about celebrating; they're about forcing it upon non-participants.

Taking that participation to a problematic level

Stage a "Slay-out." Don't go to work. Listen to Slayer.
Have a huge block party that clogs up a street in your neighborhood. Blast Slayer albums all evening. Get police cruisers and helicopters on the scene. Finish with a full-scale riot.
Spray paint Slayer logos on churches, synagogues, or cemeteries.
Play Slayer covers with your own band (since 99% of your riffs are stolen from Slayer anyway).
Kill the neighbor's dog and blame it on Slayer.
If you'd like to help us prepare for the big event, go to the following social networking sites and stir up some noise!

Ok, so I just want to see what people think about this and what they think about the news article at the top. The main idea is that there are millions of heavy metal fans out their and there is a huge culture that surrounds the music, unlike most genres. Although you may say that Hip-Hop, Punk and Techno all have a culture surrounding them, none do so in the way that heavy metal does. My question to everyone is "Is a religion characterised by mass following, cultural identity and an overall religious following? If so, is it ok to make heavy metal a religion with it's own religious holidays?"

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn]
–noun
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

I personally believe it is and that although it will go against the stereotypical view of religions, it will break down social barriers that we have especially concerning old practices that are quickly becoming obsolete. Not only is heavy metal a safe haven for many, it is also a connection to those who you may have never met otherwise, it brings people together to an almost extremist level of brotherhood (or sisterhood) and the comradery is outstanding. If the barriers of religion are not broken down, then our alternative lies with new 'religions' such as Scientology.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
well,as Les Claypool said in a song:
"To Defy the Laws of Tradition is a Crusade only of the Brave"

Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.
DO NOT use headphones! The objective of this day is for everyone within earshot to understand that it is the National Day of Slayer. National holidays in America aren't just about celebrating; they're about forcing it upon non-participants.

D'ohohoho

It's not exactly a religion I can tell you that, more like they've always been, a group of people.
I wouldn't call a group of people with an agreement as to how to act a religion. A religion is a gathering of people who are a group because they are all followers of that religion's ideals.

I'd start calling it a religion when they actively start worshipping something or something like that.
Originally Posted by Mapleleaf View Post
D'ohohoho

It's not exactly a religion I can tell you that, more like they've always been, a group of people.
I wouldn't call a group of people with an agreement as to how to act a religion. A religion is a gathering of people who are a group because they are all followers of that religion's ideals.

I'd start calling it a religion when they actively start worshipping something or something like that.

Religion isn't about worship. I thought I had made that clear with the definitions. I'm not sure you have actually addressed the question.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
You're taking the definitions way too literally. Under your logic, people who eat ravioli every Saturday night and believe that this is important are part of a religion because they're undertaking the same practice. As a more serious analogy, people in political parties all share similar beliefs and practices to varying degrees- are you going to call democracy a religion? Republicanism? Communism? Is the KKK a religion because they all believe in a set of ultraconservative values?

tldr don't take definitions at face value. Every (official) religion on the planet involves worship, whether it is of God, multiple gods, nature, or self, they all involve worship. A better definition of a religion is a group of people that all believe in a common deity/deities and follow the values and ideals that they think are required to be followed in order for them to properly worship said deity.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
Originally Posted by Ragdollmaster View Post
You're taking the definitions way too literally. Under your logic, people who eat ravioli every Saturday night and believe that this is important are part of a religion because they're undertaking the same practice. As a more serious analogy, people in political parties all share similar beliefs and practices to varying degrees- are you going to call democracy a religion? Republicanism? Communism? Is the KKK a religion because they all believe in a set of ultraconservative values?

tldr don't take definitions at face value. Every (official) religion on the planet involves worship, whether it is of God, multiple gods, nature, or self, they all involve worship. A better definition of a religion is a group of people that all believe in a common deity/deities and follow the values and ideals that they think are required to be followed in order for them to properly worship said deity.

Then you wouldn't mind telling me who Buddhists worship?

Also, if religions must be worship based, is it not metal heads worship for the artist that causes such a cult following?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
Then you wouldn't mind telling me who Buddhists worship?

Also, if religions must be worship based, is it not metal heads worship for the artist that causes such a cult following?

First off, your definitions are very narrow and specifically biased towards your cause. Most sites I've found with definitions for religion says that in order for something to constitute a religion it must worship a god/deity/supreme being.
Secondly, the burden of proof is not on us. It is on you. Thus, you should come up with a more convincing argument to support you.
Thirdly, Buddhism denotes that man attempt to be like the original Buddha. They see Buddha as a supreme person, a perfect person, a supreme being. This is why Buddhism is considered a religion.
[doc]
The band would be the "supreme being" that the metalheads follow, because they all find what they seek within their shared habits and music. A being does not have to be supreme, to be worshipped or declared supreme. It also does not have to be invisible or omnipotent to be worshipped.

I am totally for it, the more religions the better.

I love the point they are trying to make with it.
"I dissaprove of what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it"
Originally Posted by Squiziph View Post
The band would be the "supreme being" that the metalheads follow, because they all find what they seek within their shared habits and music.

By a supreme being I of course mean an ubermensch/overman of sorts. Think Nietzsche.
Originally Posted by Squiziph View Post
A being does not have to be supreme, to be worshipped or declared supreme. It also does not have to be invisible or omnipotent to be worshipped.

It does in order for it to be constituted as a religion. You've missed my argument.
[doc]