ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Manipulation and Intelligence
http://strawpoll.me/3842939 Please vote there.
Do you guys believe there is a correlation, or link, between intelligence and manipulation?
Go wild (not really) and share your thoughts.
Last edited by Aracoon; Mar 11, 2015 at 04:28 AM.
Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
Didn't feel like putting enough effort into this to make it a Discussion thread.
Do you guys believe there is a correlation, or link, between intelligence and manipulation? I personally think there is, as most intelligent people are often successful at manipulation.
Go wild (not really) and share your thoughts.
If anybody wants to move this to Discussion than that is understandable and cool with me.

A more intelligent person may come up with maniulating strategies that work, but I think it works in the other way aswell. A more intelligent person is less prone to manipulation.
h
I think its more-so imbecilic people are more susceptible to manipulation. You don't have to be a Stephen Hawking to be able to manipulate a moron
or what he said^
I would think that intelligent people would find more success in manipulation than unintelligent people.
i'd imagine that even idiots are fairly capable of manipulating somebody. it doesn't take a lot of thinking skill to bash someone's appearance or corrupt their mind somehow. i tend to think that manipulation is quite immature, and there isn't really a direct link between intelligence and maturity, since intelligence is pretty much the engine, while maturity could be the control/or steering wheel. however, manipulation isn't necessarily immature, since you could argue that some of the most influential leaders used manipulation to achieve their goals.
tough one.

Originally Posted by Aracoon View Post
I would think that intelligent people would find more success in manipulation than unintelligent people.

more likely, yes.
Last edited by MintCat; Mar 9, 2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
... you could argue that some of the most influential leaders used manipulation to achieve their goals.
tough one.

I agree with this.
I also challenge you all to make a list of the top ten most successful manipulators in history. Then ask yourself: Were these people intelligent?
Hitler manipulated people but wasn't exactly a genius. There is a minimum social intelligence required to manipulate people (knowing how people will react to what you say), although sociopaths are extremely good manipulators without understanding other people easily. They just learn and imitate. I feel like this shows that you can learn to manipulate others as well as just being good at it naturally (naturally including environmental influences on social intelligence as well as genetic potential to develop this intelligence). I don't know if any of this is right but it at least sounds partially sensible.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Hitler manipulated people but wasn't exactly a genius.

To stop this from coming up again (because it probably will), Hitler was actually very very intelligent.
http://youtu.be/Aab_6S01pyk
Sorry to say this but that source looks bias as hell to me (but most things do so...). I would approach such videos with scepticism. However, on further researching (read 'googling') It appears that there is a great deal of uncertainty around Hitler's intelligence behind the fact that he most likely had high social intelligence in order to manipulate people. I am not sure we will be able to answer a question still heavily debated by scholarly historians today. Or at least, not with a 3 minute 20 youtube video quoting a book written by one of Hitler's supporters (a member of the SS).

Here is a link which should download you a nice long essay about Hitler and stuff which nobody has time to read. If you really want closure for this point then it is your best bet.CLICK ME
Good morning sweet princess