ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by qq5ben View Post
Enough to sustain itself, what about all those fast food places, all the wasted food, what about those obese people, eating as much as 3, 4 people. what about all the wasted milk at the grocery stores?

You can't honestly expect a slaughter house to cater to the exact needs of the fast food or grocery industry. There will always be a slight waste percentage as the mentality of having too much rather than too little is applied. Let's be realistic here. Be safe in the knowledge that both the slaughter house and these industries will try to lower this figure constantly for their own sake.

Unfortunately, these people have every right to eat themselves to death and that is a totally different Discussion. The companies supply to the demand, if you want a percentage of these animals to stop being killed start slapping fat people.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Be the good guy and play devil's advocate, more or less? @_@

I think that this kind of thing is completely acceptable. Firstly because we are the dominant species in this world, we can and should do whatever we find culturally acceptable. We need our beef, and this is the easiest way to get it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Besides that, what does it matter if some dumb animal feels some pain in the moments before it's death? The workers obviously don't care, so why should we? They only reason that someone would say "oh this is so bad and unacceptable" is because they are ignorant. This goes on a hundred thousand times a day, every day, in every country.

I could guilt trip you every day of the week, about much more meaningful stuff (deforestation of rain-forests just so you can get your toilet paper huh? pollution of oceans and rivers from your soap? etc etc), but the bottom line is no one really cares.

People as a whole do not care about this meaningless shit, they just want their big mac.

Totally agrees with gormin.

There fucking animals
/thread

But guys, you can argue about animal rights, but lets face it.
If your going to kill them who cares how they get to your plate.
Hell if they had advanced thinking they would be happy to be slaughtered.
Food needs to be eaten. Populations need to be sustained.
Or would you rather kill people?

I see nothing inhumane about this except that we might get sick from sored meat.
This is horrible... This still doesn't stop me from eating meat though.

Gorman's right though, even though these methods are terrible, they are quick and efficient.
Last edited by shooter190; May 3, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
This obviously is Animal Abuse although, often there is little the authorities can do about it. The section of the Criminal Code that deals with such offences was enacted more than a century ago and has never been substantially modernized. The CFHS, representing more than 100 member organizations nationwide, has been campaigning for years to get the federal government to do something about it.
Its efforts may be about to pay off.
Spurred on by thousands of letters and petitions from a public outraged by reports of animal cruelty, Justice Minister Anne McLellan introduced Bill C-17 in December last year. The legislation is designed to bring the animal cruelty provisions of the Criminal Code into the 21st century primarily by ending the classification of animals as “property” and switching the legal emphasis from the degree of suffering of the animal to the brutality of the perpetrator.
Where courts at present may impose fines of no more than $2,000 and jail sentences of no more than six months, serious cases in the future could result in imprisonment for up to five years, increased fines at the discretion of the judge, and a lifetime ban on owning animals.
The basic cruelty provisions of the Code would continue as before – a point the CFHS is anxious to emphasize. “The new law is not aimed at standard practices in the food industry or about the hunting of wild animals or even a householder’s right to kill mice, rats and other pests,” says Robert Van Tongerloo, Executive Director of CFHS. “The law already makes it a crime to intentionally cause unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal and that does not change.”
Not going to watch it, I've gathered what I needed to know from the thread.

Well I'll start off by saying that I'm a vegetarian. Not due to animal cruelty reasons or any of that jazz. My parents raised my brother and I vegetarian. I believe they said their reasoning was mainly health rather than Animal Cruelty.

On topic, this really is about supply and demand. Everyone's got to have their meat so the corporations supply it. Would you rather have this kind of treatment of animals and a more expensive steak or deal with it and eat a cheap steak? So in a way, you cause this by your life choices.
Originally Posted by lumpysolo View Post
This obviously is Animal Abuse although, often there is little the authorities can do about it. The section of the Criminal Code that deals with such offences was enacted more than a century ago and has never been substantially modernized. The CFHS, representing more than 100 member organizations nationwide, has been campaigning for years to get the federal government to do something about it.
Its efforts may be about to pay off.
Spurred on by thousands of letters and petitions from a public outraged by reports of animal cruelty, Justice Minister Anne McLellan introduced Bill C-17 in December last year. The legislation is designed to bring the animal cruelty provisions of the Criminal Code into the 21st century primarily by ending the classification of animals as “property” and switching the legal emphasis from the degree of suffering of the animal to the brutality of the perpetrator.
Where courts at present may impose fines of no more than $2,000 and jail sentences of no more than six months, serious cases in the future could result in imprisonment for up to five years, increased fines at the discretion of the judge, and a lifetime ban on owning animals.
The basic cruelty provisions of the Code would continue as before – a point the CFHS is anxious to emphasize. “The new law is not aimed at standard practices in the food industry or about the hunting of wild animals or even a householder’s right to kill mice, rats and other pests,” says Robert Van Tongerloo, Executive Director of CFHS. “The law already makes it a crime to intentionally cause unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal and that does not change.”

The wall of text you clearly copy and pasted supports the video, which I don't think was your intent. "The new law is not aimed at standard practices in the food industry", if I am wrong then it isn't relevant. We are discussing the production of meat commercially not the rights owners have over their pets. Sure it disputes the senseless cruelty in the video, but we all already knew this was illegal and no one other than maybe Gorman is arguing that this part of the video is acceptable.
By the way it is not copy and paste lol. From a law book I have. And yes, Gordan is correct that this is human nature! But, I think we can make it less hurtful for the animals.
Originally Posted by lumpysolo View Post
By the way it is not copy and paste lol. From a law book I have. And yes, Gordan is correct that this is human nature! But, I think we can make it less hurtful for the animals.

Okay, my mistake.

The methods we have in place aren't random, they have been tried, tested and improved on for a long time. They are the most humane options without compromising on productivity too much. But yes, we should always strive for a more humane option for the animals sake, while cost/time effectiveness should be our top priority we should take the animals suffering into consideration to a certain degree.
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Okay, my mistake.

The methods we have in place aren't random, they have been tried, tested and improved on for a long time. They are the most humane options without compromising on productivity too much. But yes, we should always strive for a more humane option for the animals sake, while cost/time effectiveness should be our top priority we should take the animals suffering into consideration to a certain degree.

I definitely agree with you, what you are saying makes complete sense.

We are a hungry, demanding, and conquering species, we need food, shelter, and all that etc., so we are going to do what we need to do to survive whether it be slaughtering animals for food or anything else.

For you guys saying, "man, this is so fucked up, who would do this?", you might want to take a little time on your computer and research about stuff like this, it happens daily, where do you think we get our food from? This sort of stuff happens world-wide, it's not really that big of a surprise to me whatsoever, I don't know what you guys are getting so freaked out about.

Hunt, or be hunted.
Meh, this is a typical example of people going for the profit no matter what.
Farmers could easily improve the animal's life by spending more money on more human methods.
Meat would probably become a little more expensive on the long run.
Since we live in a capitalistic system competition needs to be beaten even if that means that some animals suffer
They do not desire to make their life better and rather maximize the profit.

Originally Posted by Faint View Post
Hunt, or be hunted.

…wat?
Hunted by cows and birds?

If anything it is
Profit, or more profit.
How are you?