Ranking
So long as we have a megashit electoral vote system we're probably never going to break out of a two-party race.
Pope of BnW[Torigod]Lord of WibblesYouTubeToriblog AdminInterface Artist
(,,゚Д゚) -"Become a fan. DO IT."

Hyperboloids of wondrous Light
Rolling for aye through Space and Time
Harbour those Waves which somehow Might
Play out God's holy pantomime

Also, Gubbin is neat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
Err....what? Stalin's famine, according to OFFICIAL records, killed somewhere between 5 and 10 million. His gulags killed about the same amount, not to mention the assassinations by his secret department: the NKVD, and the toll from conscripted soldiers forced to be in the most dangerous areas along with the deserters who were instantly shot. And of course one also has to include the death toll from their invasion, pillaging, and looting of much of Poland.
Estimates for the death toll from Stalinist Russia reach up to sixty million.

Stalin was also an ally with Hitler until he attacked them.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin
Further sources: Ethnic Cleansing in the USSR by Otto Pohl.
http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm
http://books.google.com/books?id=8yo...page&q&f=false
Your ideas about Abraham Lincoln are also false, and so are Agentmax's: He rose to president promoting the end of slavery, and a cluster of states immediately seceded as a result.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham...use_Divided.22

You may want to actually make sure you are right before calling someone else a retard.

Almost 1000 percent sure that Abraham Lincoln initially during his campaign promised to keep slavery in the southern states. At the time, the governor of South Carolina sent a letter to him, stating that they would secede. The rest followed, because they did not believe Lincoln. When he was elected though, he had no choice but to abolish slavery.

Wikipedia:

"Initially, Lincoln expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by ... but he did not consider himself one; he did not call for the immediate end of slavery ... his party, as there were some who wanted the immediate abolition of slavery."
inq.
Originally Posted by sham View Post
Almost 1000 percent sure that Abraham Lincoln initially during his campaign promised to keep slavery in the southern states. At the time, the governor of South Carolina sent a letter to him, stating that they would secede. The rest followed, because they did not believe Lincoln. When he was elected though, he had no choice but to abolish slavery.

Wikipedia:

"Initially, Lincoln expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by ... but he did not consider himself one; he did not call for the immediate end of slavery ... his party, as there were some who wanted the immediate abolition of slavery."

Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Oh look, you forgot the entire platform Lincoln was running on existed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_1860

You deliberately took that quote completely out of context: he still wanted to end slavery, all the quote said is that it would be over time, not immediately. Next time please actually cite your source, and don't cut out random sections of text to support your position. This is the full quote:

Originally Posted by Wiki article
Abraham Lincoln often expressed moral opposition to slavery in both public and private.[1] Initially, Lincoln expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by stopping its further expansion into any U.S. territory, and by proposing compensated emancipation (an offer Congress applied to Washington, D.C) in his early presidency. Lincoln stood by the Republican Party platform in 1860, which stated that slavery should not be allowed to expand into any more territories. Lincoln believed that the extension of slavery in the South, Mid-west, and Western lands would inhibit "free labor on free soil". In the 1850's, Lincoln was politically attacked as an abolitionist, but he did not consider himself one; he did not call for the immediate end of slavery everywhere in the U.S. until the proposed 13th Amendment became part of his party platform for the 1864 election.[2]

All this says is that at the start of his political career he hoped to slowly extinguish slavery, instead of ending it at the exact time he was elected.

He declared himself to be completely against slavery in 1854 in a highly public speech, 10 YEARS before becoming president.

Hyde, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, except to throw a vaguely meaningful sentence and a link at me that in no way contradicts what I've said.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
First, let's try to keep this topic civil. This isn't discussion, though I can move it there if you want to take this subject seriously and examine it in a more thorough light.

Second,

Wikipedia:

Wikipedia isn't always right.

???

Perhaps AgentMax has one fact straight, sham is a (to use sham's own terminology) "hyp·o·crite".

:hurricane:
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
So long as we have a megashit electoral vote system we're probably never going to break out of a two-party race.

lets talk about this

Why should the electoral college be kept in place? It was implemented by the founding fathers to prevent everybody from electing their town hero. Now that we have modern communication media people are more informed about the candidates and we could be left to our own devices.

Imagine the wonderful environmentally friendly place America would be if Al Gore had been elected by the popular vote ( which he won) instead of George Bush ( who won the electoral vote) in the 200 elections. Maybe the entire world wouldn't hate us right now
back from the dead
SELLING MY DEACTIVATED
I wouldn't be surprised if the context I used was not correct, for wikipedia is notorious for being incorrect. It just happened to be that I am almost sure that quote is correct. I wouldn't call myself a hypocrite.

Also, boredpayne, of course he wanted to end it eventually, and it was pretty obvious that he wanted to ban it, but it turns out, he would rather keep slavery if that would keep the nation together. He promised the south slavery, as long as the south did not secede. His goal was to keep the nation united. Once they seceded, he merely banned slavery to punish the south for seceding.

Anyway, we're not here to talk about politics in the 1850's. In the first post it is quite clear that I wanted this thread to be related to Obama vs. Romney.
-----
Originally Posted by Wik View Post
lets talk about this

Why should the electoral college be kept in place? It was implemented by the founding fathers to prevent everybody from electing their town hero. Now that we have modern communication media people are more informed about the candidates and we could be left to our own devices.

Imagine the wonderful environmentally friendly place America would be if Al Gore had been elected by the popular vote ( which he won) instead of George Bush ( who won the electoral vote) in the 200 elections. Maybe the entire world wouldn't hate us right now

Only problem is, to get rid of that amendment, the nation would need the approval of 2/3 of all states. The tiny states with low population would almost mean nothing, and the race would basically just be popular states. I doubt 2/3 of the states would approve, although almost any person that lives in a semi popular state knows that the system is somewhat bullshit.
Last edited by sham; Oct 5, 2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
inq.
I wouldn't be surprised if the context I used was not correct, for wikipedia is notorious for being incorrect.

Did you read that on Wikipedia?

i.e.: No, it's not.

Wikipedia cites most of it's sources. If you have doubts about a statement, consult the credited source.

It just happened to be that I am almost sure that quote is correct.

Why so? Are you a more reliable source than Wikipedia?

I wouldn't call myself a hypocrite.

Why not? You disregarded another's claim because of his credit to Wikipedia, and in turn, used your own statement from Wikipedia.

Oops, I'm deviating from the actual topic.

Only problem is, to get rid of that amendment, the nation would need the approval of 2/3 of all states.

Correction: To pass an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, either:

1) Congress must agree on the amendment with 2/3 vote in each house, then have 3/4 of state legislatures agree afterwards.

or

2) Have 2/3 of state legislatures call for a Constitutional Convention, in which an amendment may be proposed and then voted upon by 3/4 of state legislatures.

(Option 2 has never been used)

Source: http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/U.S...e_Constitution

The tiny states with low population would almost mean nothing, and the race would basically just be popular states.

That's how it is with the electoral college. States with lower population receive less representation when voting.

Source: http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...ege/about.html
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
They get more of an impact than if the votes were based 100% off of population.

Alright, alright I get it. I made a mistake (several). My bad. You're right like always. You have succeeded in proving me wrong.

ANYWAY, Let's get back on topic.

Romney vs. Obama? What do you think box? And why?
Last edited by sham; Oct 5, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
inq.
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
You deliberately took that quote completely out of context: he still wanted to end slavery, all the quote said is that it would be over time, not immediately. Next time please actually cite your source, and don't cut out random sections of text to support your position. This is the full quote:

All this says is that at the start of his political career he hoped to slowly extinguish slavery, instead of ending it at the exact time he was elected.

He declared himself to be completely against slavery in 1854 in a highly public speech, 10 YEARS before becoming president.

Hyde, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, except to throw a vaguely meaningful sentence and a link at me that in no way contradicts what I've said.

That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at the person who likes throwing out wikipedia links.

I actually completely agree with you. What I linked supports what you're saying. I have no idea why you responded like this.
Hoss.