Toribash
Originally Posted by Reshiss View Post
When you feel a bit depressed & your day is full of doubt,
Remember in the scheme of things, your life just doesn't count.
Compared to outer space you're just a tiny little speck
On the dark side of this rock, you're just a meaty little fleck.
You think there's nothing better than the planet we call Earth
But we all seem pretty tiny next to Neptune's mighty girth.

In other words, if life was wiped out, who'd care? The universe would still exist, just like how we still exist when we kill an ant colony.

Life doesn't matter. The universe would still go on.

Originally Posted by Proke View Post
there is no justification for why life is good or why it's bad so their values are equal
human life = ant life = 0

Please don't do this.

Acknowledging the legitimacy of nihilism only gets in the way of perfectly good discussions. When it comes to the notion that all things are objectively worthless, it's almost always a good idea to not mention it. This shouldn't be difficult. We have thousands of years of evolution trying to stop us comprehending how meaningless life is. On top of that, society has been conditioning you, and everyone around you to believe in morals for your entire life.

The reason people don't post about it isn't because they don't know it, they just understand that it is pointless to even bring up and that it adds nothing to the conversation and is basically stating the obvious (right?).

If you want to talk about the insignificance of life in general then it can probably have its own (probably rather short-lived) discussion thread. But until then just try to forget about it.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Skizzify View Post
The life of a human is more important than the life of an ant. If you started killing off every human you wouldn't have houses, you wouldn't have buildings, you wouldn't have ANYTHING. While those people are sitting there typing away on their little iPads or their iPhone they don't realize how important the life of a human is compared to a dog or an ant

Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
The reason people don't post about it isn't because they don't know it, they just understand that it is pointless to even bring up and that it adds nothing to the conversation

Without using some nilhisum the topic becomes trivial most of the things that we are saying are true if human life died the earth would go on it's common sense when someone is more worried that if there were no humans there would be no houses or iPads what else are you supposed to talk about? I honestly thought he didn't know about it and I don't think it's fair to say that it adds nothing to the conversation this topic is clearly opinionated and if somebody has their opinion why wouldn't they be allowed to say or shunned upon for sharing it
And honestly when a single insect is the main thing you have to compare to it gets dull like humans vs all other life would have been better
Like how many animals or species going extinct would be equivalent to one human? Ir how many animals would have to be in danger for 1 human to come off as almost a equal sacrifice
Also I believe there are 11000 species of ant how many ant species would have to go extinct for it to equal 1 human i personally don't even know
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
I'm talking about invasive species vs more important species.

I agree that ants and wasps are huge jerks but like what makes you think human life is significant (No offence to any humans) but we just kinda live here the earth doesn't need us and neither does any other planet not saying murder is ok just saying that we are only important to our selves, just like how ants are important to themselves the earth doesn't need ant nor does it need us so whats the point in killing ants for decoration it's not a necessity and we should not do it
If you started killing off every human you wouldn't have houses, you wouldn't have buildings, you wouldn't have ANYTHING

without humans there would be no demand for buildings therefore no problem
Last edited by Candy; Mar 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM.
Trying
That moment you realize global warming is a thing ye we help the enviroment a little, but we still do more damage then good By doing nothing (0) it is doing more than we have (some negative number) GG

-------------------
so like we can close this thread now i belive we have reached a conclusion that or this becomes a discussion about global warming and it gets closed anyway

sorry for being really cocky right now it's just i have never really made a dent in a discussion thread before this is kinda like a moment for me
Last edited by Candy; Mar 12, 2016 at 12:22 AM.
Trying
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Please don't do this.

Acknowledging the legitimacy of nihilism only gets in the way of perfectly good discussions. When it comes to the notion that all things are objectively worthless, it's almost always a good idea to not mention it. This shouldn't be difficult. We have thousands of years of evolution trying to stop us comprehending how meaningless life is. On top of that, society has been conditioning you, and everyone around you to believe in morals for your entire life.

The reason people don't post about it isn't because they don't know it, they just understand that it is pointless to even bring up and that it adds nothing to the conversation and is basically stating the obvious (right?).

If you want to talk about the insignificance of life in general then it can probably have its own (probably rather short-lived) discussion thread. But until then just try to forget about it.

Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Are you saying his point has no value, man?

Originally Posted by WeooWeoo View Post
I don't think zelda is getting at that. It's just the fact that there's nothing to talk about when it comes to significants. Yeah, you could argue saying "Life is powerful and is super important." Well, there's not much to explain there besides that you think it's good and the other doesn't. It's a one way argument. Nothing gets across.

If we're briefly going to speak about this. No one knows why we are here. All we can do is try to make the best of the days we are here. Same with other animals and insects. They live their lives to as best they can. The circle of life prevails.

Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
People wrote entire books about it and here we establish that it's a fact that there is nothing to talk about when it comes to values? Just because two people disagree with each other does not mean the conversation is pointless.
Do you think the same about political debates?

My point is that posting that the comparison we are discussion is null/impossible because all things are equivalently pointless is not good for the discussion. It is attempting to end or derail the conversation. That is all, people can discuss value systems as much as they like in threads with that as their topic (I made a thread specifically for that a while back, it ended pretty quickly I think). I wouldn't mind so much if establishing how we approach better/worse was the first thing we tried to do in this thread, but doing it in the middle of a discussion tends to just make it unstable or end it prematurely. I am deleting all the posts about this since mine, since they are off-topic. I am leaving them quoted here so people know what I am talking about.
Good morning sweet princess
k fine i'll use your logic against you
Lets pretend fire ant are worse than us (Even though that's supper false)

"Within the lifespan of a child born today, the range of the red imported fire ant in the United States could expand northward by about 80 miles and expand in total area by 21 percent as climate change makes new areas suitable for their survival." meaning we are INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF FIRE ANTS IN THE WORLD BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING AND WE ARE STILL KILLING OURSELVES MORE THEN THEY KILL US(Caps lock too lazy to fix so i just made it smaller) and how much CO2 do you think tey release with cars and factories oh wait no they don't do that we do.
So are we don't know or do you want to add something or are you gonna start blaming holes in the ozone on fire ants too

Oh yeah and you also literally said they were helpful
Those are Fire Ants. Apparently they also help the ecosystem

*Drops mic*
Last edited by Candy; Mar 12, 2016 at 02:30 AM.
Trying