ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
ntfs.sys startup error, please help
So when I start up my windows 7 pc, I get an error about some thing called ntfs or nfts whichever one. Basically what happens is the computer starts, it says starting windows and during the animation (at the same spot in the animation if that matters) it freezes, turns blue for a split second with a huge amount of text that I can't read in that short amount of time, then shows a technical looking menu called system restoration or some thing, error recovery I think. It had 2 options; start windows normally, and start system restore. (I'm at school so I can't remember the exact messages). If I click the start windows normall option, it starts the pc again and eventually goes back to this menu. If I click the record ery option it says "loading windows files" then a blue screen and that is where i get the ntfs.sys error. I have heard that running CHKDSK fixes it, but I'm 100% locked out and have no way to do so. If anyone knows the cause of this or how to fix it, please tell me.another thing is that I (foolishly) turned the pc off with the power button, if This was the issue. I got my pc recently and it costed $1.6k and now I can't use it, so I really want any info you guys have.
(Origin)
Might be a faulty ram stick, that's usually an issue. Or maybe the HDD or SSD you boot from is damaged.
moved to computer/mobile chat, please be careful when posting in the future

as for your issue, i assume it may be a hard drive issue. try re-installing windows and see if your problem is fixed.
My computer came with wibows pre-installed and didn't come with a Windows disk for some reason. Is there a way around th is? Oh and is there a way to run CHKDSK without starting windows? This fixed it for lots of people
(Origin)
Boot your computer in safe mode, continuously press F8 key while it's starting. A menu will appear where you can choose booting in "safe mode".

Once your PC has booted in safe mode, press start+r and type "cmd" then press enter.
Once loaded type CHKDSK and let it do it's thing.

-snip-

That's why you back up every month-or-so in case this happens.
Last edited by Faint; Jan 23, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Boot your computer in safe mode, continuously press F8 key while it's starting. A menu will appear where you can choose booting in "safe mode".

Once your PC has booted in safe mode, press start+r and type "cmd" then press enter.
Once loaded type CHKDSK and let it do it's thing.

-snip-

That's why you back up every month-or-so in case this happens.

Ill try this when I get home, thanks for all the help guys
(Origin)
Originally Posted by iIluminati View Post
My computer came with wibows pre-installed and didn't come with a Windows disk for some reason. Is there a way around th is? Oh and is there a way to run CHKDSK without starting windows? This fixed it for lots of people

since windows came pre-installed, i'm assuming you bought a pre-built machine from some company. most companies support warranties, especially for more pricey computers (you said yours cost you $1.6k, that's a lot). if all else fails, and you can't find a copy of windows 7 anywhere or RedPanda's suggestion doesn't work, see if you have a warranty still.
RedPanda thx for the suggestion but I can't boot it in safe mode either. Is there no way to run chkdsk without starting windows at all

Sorry I'm not very experienced
(Origin)
What you're looking for is some way to load the CHKDSK Error reporter type thing Windows has. Since you can't access the desktop/ boot up fully you're looking for a way to boot it up in BIOS or any other System application you have built in to your PC which is definitely impossible (There are some built in applications that allow you to access files on a USB or Hard Drive) even then it's not a guarantee fix.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, there are also a few troubleshoot options when you press F8 and Select Repair your computer, the troubleshoots it comes with don't usually fix anything but I guess it's worth a shot.

Your safest option though is to definitely do a full system restore, you can download Windows 7 or Windows 8 on a website and convert it into an iso.
You can buy a code on their website or if your PC came with a Windows code.

Like Faint said, as long as you didn't customize or open up the case of your PC/ Laptop you should still have your warranty.

Full system restores are a good thing for your PC, it can sometimes increase boot times and you should still have a folder called Windows.old so you can access your old files.

To faint

Last edited by RedPanda; Jan 23, 2015 at 10:29 PM.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18