Ranking
You're going to have to specify exactly on what field we are discussing. It looks like SuicideDo is arguing on a metaphysical playing field. I'm guessing that we should probably be discussing on naturalistic grounds? Theistic and metaphysical properties are hardly arguable to begin with, and there's too much difference in belief to know that we're even talking about the same thing when we introduce metaphysics.

And it's fine for me to bring up examples that I brought up in the other thread, yes? ~Ele: yes
Last edited by Ele; Oct 29, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. Only that the decision that "was already made for me" is the only decision there's ever going to be. You don't make decisions that go against what you think is wise just because you have a free will.
It's hard to explain what I mean, but if determinism is making a rational decision based on facts and judgement, what is the opposite?

The thing is, it's not just based on facts and judgements. It's also based on your genes, your neurochemical makeup and lots of other factors that we don't normally think has to do with our decision-making.

A example that determinists use is Charles Whitman. He's the guy that killed his mother and girlfriend before climbing to the top of a bell tower in Austin and shooting another 16 people. Clearly an evil guy, right? Well, perhaps not. After an autopsy was performed, it turned out that he had a large tumor in his brain pressing against his hypothalamus. Whitman, before his death, wrote about how he recognised that he wasn't really in control of his actions. It was determined by a commission that the tumor plausibly could have been the reason that Whitman did what he did. It's easy to see how other things, like our neurochemistry, may be affecting our decision-making in ways that we're unaware of.

Our decisions to do things aren't just based on our conscious thoughts. That's where the phrase, 'the illusion of free will' comes from. We certainly think that we're in charge of what we do, but that might not necessarily be the case.
Well, like Lazors said, it comes down to definition, and your definitions differ. That is why it is so hard to break down your opinions into fundamental logical justifications and just end up paraphrasing and re-defining the same statement; it isn't a matter of logic, it is subjective. More or less Lazors says free will is about the fact we make decisions, and Ele says it is about how (and whether) we make the decisions in the first place.

However, the world in non-deterministic. One of my favourite quotes is of Einstein arguing against this at Solvay Conference:
Einstein: "God does not play dice".
Bohr:"Einstein, stop telling God what to do".

Anyway, some quantum mechanisms are random, so the same thing won't always happen just because you start with the same inputs.

Not sure why that affects our ability to make our own decisions but w/e.
Last edited by Zelda; Oct 29, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by pouffywall View Post
You're going to have to specify exactly on what field we are discussing. It looks like SuicideDo is arguing on a metaphysical playing field. I'm guessing that we should probably be discussing on naturalistic grounds? Theistic and metaphysical properties are hardly arguable to begin with, and there's too much difference in belief to know that we're even talking about the same thing when we introduce metaphysics.

And it's fine for me to bring up examples that I brought up in the other thread, yes? ~Ele: yes

Is it not funny that we are all choosing to participate in this topic of discussion, but we hardly stop to analyze our own choices, while engaging in a discussion about free will?? ?? ??

Or am i the only one laughing so hard right now?

Like zelda just said, it's about definitions - of which we each hold an individual and unique perspective of, no matter how similar.
I feel to be the only one who takes consideration for the "all-perspective" at the moment...

Dont just go with conventional definitions, choose to apply all of the definitions and witness, mentally, the illogic of contrasting deffinitions; because nearly all words have more than one or two meanings.

Apply the wrong meanings deliberately. for psychological science.

Or dont, out of fear of being incorrect? (most people would say 'wrong' but words have power and hold meaning, they can be used to inflict harm. no human is ever "wrong" when they get the answer incorrect. but that is a whole topic itself... in fucking off topic)

And furthermore, to finalize my thoughts, you have assumed by appearances that i hold a strictly theological or metaphysical stance on the subject, which is simply not true.

I am Wholistic. (unlike holisitc) i being in an all encompassing omnitude. no one part is separate from the other, no matter how far fetched or seemingly unrelated, it is simply impossible for a whole to be anything but a whole in contrast to the entirety of everything.

SO! In regards to free will, my stance is all parts. metaphysical, neurological, psychological, physiological, chemical, and what the fuck, why not gravitational?

My point being, all parts. no matter how retarded, far fetched, or seemingly unrelated.
It is illogical to ignore any part.

That is my choice, to consider and observe all parts as possibly i can - even if only mentally. The more i learn, the more my mental observations improve in accuracy and usefulness. the more i think about things mentally, the more open i am to learning.

i choose to be this way. by way of my free will. BECAUSE i am posting this information by act of free will, i create evidence of my free will by virtue of association.
SuicideDo, the Brewtal Drunken Immortal.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
The thing is, it's not just based on facts and judgements. It's also based on your genes, your neurochemical makeup and lots of other factors that we don't normally think has to do with our decision-making.

A example that determinists use is Charles Whitman. He's the guy that killed his mother and girlfriend before climbing to the top of a bell tower in Austin and shooting another 16 people. Clearly an evil guy, right? Well, perhaps not. After an autopsy was performed, it turned out that he had a large tumor in his brain pressing against his hypothalamus. Whitman, before his death, wrote about how he recognised that he wasn't really in control of his actions. It was determined by a commission that the tumor plausibly could have been the reason that Whitman did what he did. It's easy to see how other things, like our neurochemistry, may be affecting our decision-making in ways that we're unaware of.

Our decisions to do things aren't just based on our conscious thoughts. That's where the phrase, 'the illusion of free will' comes from. We certainly think that we're in charge of what we do, but that might not necessarily be the case.

So the alternative would be that everyone is born the same and thus could make proper decisions without interference from our genes?
Ok, but what makes that "free will" our free will? Is it really free if everyone would make the same choice in identical situations?

Let's say Whitman did what he did because he had a tumor. Take away the tumor and Whitman isn't Whitman anymore. His choice aren't more or less free because he removed the tumor, he's a different individual that would make a different choice in that situation.

If we break it down, decisions are based on:
Genetics (which represents you, your individuality)
Facts (the situation or problem that forces a decision)
Rationality (judgement of the situation)

Now I'm arguing that the genome of a person is what makes a decision your own. Without that, two people in the same situation would make the same choice.

Now what you are saying is that genetics is in the way of free will, which means that you don't think two people in the same situation would act in the same way. Or do you think the rationality itself is the free will.
Or do you think there's a supernatural force that makes us act the way we do?
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
There was a thread here recently that sort of touched on this. It was about where the decisions we make come from. One of the points raised in that thread was that we don't really make decisions and that our neurochemistry decides what we do before we even know what we'll decide to do. This means that everything we decide to do is predetermined. We have no choice in the matter. No free will.

Determinism, broadly, is the idea that, given the exact same circumstances, you would always make the same decision. If there was another you on another planet, and that you grew up having the same genes and experiencing the same environment, that you would do everything exactly the same as you. It would make the exact same decisions.

What I want discussed is;
  • Do you believe free will exists? Yes/No and Why?
  • If it doesn't exist, what impact does that have on our daily lives?

I've got ideas of my own, but I'll see what people come up with before jumping in.

I think it does exist. I'm usually not very optimistic about things like this but this one I think so. I mean of course if you decide on something it's slightly predetermined but what about things that others encourage you to do? I've been in situations where I would not have normally done something until someone else brought in another aspect that pushed me to do it. For instance I would have never gone rock climbing if I didn't randomly run into my friend before he went, now it's a big part of my life. There's no way that could have been predetermined. This is kind of a hard topic to argue about because I'm not sure the scope you're trying to talk about. Are you aiming for the individual and how our brain selects things before we consciously do or are you talking about how society has everything predetermined for us, I don't want to write my two cents if I'm focusing on the wrong one.

EDIT: After rereading the first post my question doesn't make much sense. It really depends on how you determine what free will is then. I guess I use the more common version of free will which is the ability to make any choice you want without limitations. My argument would then be that even if determinism is true isn't it still technically free will? Free will is just the ability to choose all the options which is true, even if it is predetermined. I mean I think since there is no true way to test whether the determinism theory is true or not its hard to argue on this, because for all we know given the same exact conditions it could be possible that we don't always choose the same choice. There's no way to prove it wrong really, and no way to prove it right. I'm probably ranting at this point someone set me straight.

EDIT2: I'm also very very very doubtful when it comes to any article about scientists claiming to understand how the brain works. I mean they can monitor a few things like releasing of chemicals and heat but I don't think that scientists can make such huge speculations like the one in the article claim. Not to mention that is not a very scholarly article, it's doctors answering to a reporter so there are probably some inaccuracies and dumbed down answers.
Last edited by cocacobra; Oct 29, 2015 at 07:32 PM.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
I don't think there is a wrong one at the moment, just pick the definition (or definitions if you like) of free will that you have the strongest opinion(s) about or find most interesting. As long as you make it clear what you are actually arguing then I can't imagine that you will have a problems.
Elaborating on what i said someone can look at your background and take up all the percentages of what your ancestors have done what they ate the most what area are you in and through percentages takes the most likely things and determine what your life will be like and what choices you will make what your favorite food will be and what color you like the most and what your genetic make up will most likely be through that they can see problems you might face hardships you may have to go through even when you will most likely die is that free will truly free will?
Or at least that's how I see free will as
Last edited by Pimp; Oct 29, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
“Aaah rum zum zum aaah rum zum zum booly booly booly booly booly rum zum zum”
Originally Posted by cocacobra View Post
I mean I think since there is no true way to test whether the determinism theory is true or not its hard to argue on this, because for all we know given the same exact conditions it could be possible that we don't always choose the same choice. There's no way to prove it wrong really, and no way to prove it right.

I would like to repeat that reality is non-deterministic. This is well established and tested physics. Look up John Bell and his inequalities. The determinism vs non-determinism argument ended decades ago. The result of a measurement in quantum physics is not predetermined, it is random.
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
I would like to repeat that reality is non-deterministic. This is well established and tested physics. Look up John Bell and his inequalities. The determinism vs non-determinism argument ended decades ago. The result of a measurement in quantum physics is not predetermined, it is random.

I think absolute determinism can be ruled out (thanks to quantum mechanics), but you can still argue for "lesser versions" of determinism. Especially in the context of free will.