Toribash
Original Post
Won't let me do a system restore
Ok well today, I tried to do a system restore but somehow, it won't let me do that.
All that shows up is a white box, and a little white box at the top left of it that usually shows up when something freezes. Here:

And that happens when i click the icon on the start menu. (You know, when you click start on the bottom left of the screen)

And when i try to click on all programs--> accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore, nothing shows up.

I have windows XP, and i'm using avast free. If it is a virus, then i don't know why it didn't pick it up when i did a system scan.

Can anyone help me please?
Thanks
can u do a daifrag? (speled wrong i know)
i hade a prob like that to with my old pc
i fomated it it can be a virus
Defrag? ...daifrag...yeah defrag is all I can think of that sounds like it. :P

It'd be a weird virus if system restore is all that's affected, btw. Are you having any other odd issues?

Also, try booting in safe mode and opening system restore up. It would prevent the virus from becoming active.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
ok i'll try that after i get back from swimming, and do you mean a disk defragment?
Also, i haven't seen anything else acting weird lately.
it is possible that the copy of windows you installed, if not "genuine" was corrupt, or the installation was corrupt, even if it was a valid windows copy. Ive had a similar problem, except i could see the menu, select a restore point etc, id hit the restore button, and that would happen. Do you urgently need to system restore?

edit: http://www.brothersoft.com/restoreit-84679.html try that, its an alternative to the windows system restore program, havent used it myself but a quick google search told me its reliable :P
Corrupt executable or dll or registry.

If you have another pc in the house with the exact same version of windows, try copyign the file over.

Failing that, I would suggest a format, because system restore is one of the most useful features that windows has.
what does formatting mean?
sorry i don't know alot

Also, there is another computer in the house, but it's a friends. and mines a laptop, his isn't. Will it still work?
Last edited by Ginkey; May 31, 2010 at 04:16 PM.