Ranking
Original Post
Get rid of tk in Ranked
Hey get rid of TK in ranked Hardly anyone wants this there. the weirdos that do are very vocal about it but hardly ever play ranked. it's to random. At the very least try to fix it and make it more competitive maybe add a box like in boxshu but smaller. or increase dm ratio
add a point system similar to the one in the lesduncan mod that existed a while back
turn dq off if it's a striking mod it shouldn't be there
if we do a vote for this how about only let the top 100 players vote or something along those lines
Make arms and legs not take damage or at least only biceps and shoulders take damage
Last edited by Candy; May 31, 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Trying
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
if we do a vote for this how about only let the top 100 players vote or something along those lines

how arrogant can you get
only because you didn't learn to play tk, doesn't mean it's a bad mod.
Personally I find judofrac more random. but some people like you say it's less random than tk, therefore I believe I'm just bad at judofrac and be done with it.

with that said, tk players aren't a few loud mouths. this has been talked about before.
http://prntscr.com/nw2ep1

And this will be the aftermath of the removal of tk
http://prntscr.com/nw2g5s
Last edited by Mafi; May 31, 2019 at 10:28 PM.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
you don't play ranked why do you care?
I also suggested changes to TK
I never said it was a bad mod
Again a lot of people who like the mod don't even play ranked so only let the top 100 or even top 150 vote
the aftermath you cited was two people who never really played ranked
even in the poll it was 41% vs 59% and again as we are seeing now and in your proof people who play ranked aren't the ones complaining about it most of the time
JUst because people want the mod to stay doesn't mean they wont support changes to the mod
Also i know how to play tk you don't get ranked in the top 10 without knowing (not saying im the best at it (I'm Not) just saying i probably know more about it then most) (Don't misconstrue this as a brag it's not)
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW LIKES TK PLAY RANKED AND SHUT ME UP
also Judo frac is the best mod Don't @ me this isn't a disscussion thread for Judo Frac
Don't Fight the change Bruv
Last edited by Candy; Jun 1, 2019 at 12:04 AM.
Trying
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW LIKES TK PLAY RANKED AND SHUT ME UP

I do play ranked...
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.
You are currently unranked actually unless your playing on a diff acount or playyed less than 9 games thats a big lie
Trying
Hi, I enjoy TK and have been suggested to post here. I'm also rank 1 and have a substantial gap between my elo and the bottom threshold for the diamond tier - so it's safe to say I'm quite competent in the other mods of the rotation; so I'm not just talking out of my ass when commenting about the inclusion or exclusion of a mod, or certain mods. I find that many members nowadays are quite adept in ABD and are starting to collectively become better at other competitive mods; lenshu in particular. And those mods are fine. They're straightforward and the techniques are pretty linear, so what separates the good players from the pack is familiarity with situational tactics to recover from kicklifts, shovels, someone coming in for a knee after being lifted etc. However, the gameplay for mods such as TK or JF are quite different, and the win-scenarios that each require are not as simple as forcing a ring-out and/or securing a safe position after achieving points. Since you're bringing up TK in this, I'll address that individually.

I've been playing for well over 10 years now; and TK has been around for just as long - so I'm no stranger to the early metas and how it has evolved into the modern approach to TK (which can be confusing to those not familiar with low-grav, low-dm thresh mods with a low turn frame). And as such, I don't find it to be at all random - which is what some often complain about. The point-multiplier for joints and body-parts are for the sake of argument, more forgiving, than lenshu per example (where groin and leg contact can result in high magnitude of points gained/lost). Too many times, I see players either getting shredded by a 2-frame snap kick; or have their leg massacred when their opponent only seemingly stick out a hand and grab when they themselves are trying to mimic a snap. Or they will find themselves inable to dm - or find that if they try to kick off the ground, their leg will explode into 3 pieces.

Now these examples may seem random and the mod may appear to be unforgiving. But that's just a part of intricacies of the mod. There are several aspects that need to attended to when playing TK. Point of contact per example. Or learning not to overcommit/rotate early on when both players clap. The latter is especially important since throwing out feints has become a big part of the meta. Too many times, I see someone overcommit to raising both of their arms as to fake a rush; and try to lower only to realize, "hey, I'm off the ground and floating wtf! This mod is randumb and gay xDDDD". As for self-dms...what the hell would people expect in a low-dm threshold mod would happen if you were to kick the ground with the force to chop a tree in half w/ a relaxed ankle?

I'm not saying Tk is perfect - as none of the mods are. But I find it to be tolerable since I know how to properly control my tori and am versed to what to do in particular situations. That's just a simple learning curve. Get over it. Learn not to overstress your joints so that they don't dm. And learn how to manage your tori so that you're not exposed after throwing out a bad snap kick frame 1 (which makes you go boom). Manage your way to familiarity with the physical aspects of the mod and it becomes less random and hArD.

If you don't have the capacity to learn 1 mod, simply don't play it. Always spectate when the mod comes up in ranked servers. Never matchmake. And accept that you'll never be able to rank up. Flex on brown belts in ABD who don't know what the hell a lumbar does to increase your elo to compensate for your inability to wrap your head around tk. Seems to me that many of the top players while not particularly tk mains, have adjusted well and are beginning to become more consistent (thus being able to rank up and widen the elo,and skill gap).

(:

edit: The point of ranked is too see who can consistently perform in a variety of mod settings. Tk is just one of them. Seems to me that the majority of those urging for its removal are unable to perform in a ragdoll fighting physics simulator game mod. And that for some reason, hinders their self-esteem to a crippling level.

Or something.
Last edited by visceral; Jun 1, 2019 at 08:56 AM.
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
Hi, I enjoy TK and have been suggested to post here. I'm also rank 1 and have a substantial gap between my elo and the bottom threshold for the diamond tier - so it's safe to say I'm quite competent in the other mods of the rotation; so I'm not just talking out of my ass when commenting about the inclusion or exclusion of a mod, or certain mods. I find that many members nowadays are quite adept in ABD and are starting to collectively become better at other competitive mods; lenshu in particular. And those mods are fine. They're straightforward and the techniques are pretty linear, so what separates the good players from the pack is familiarity with situational tactics to recover from kicklifts, shovels, someone coming in for a knee after being lifted etc. However, the gameplay for mods such as TK or JF are quite different, and the win-scenarios that each require are not as simple as forcing a ring-out and/or securing a safe position after achieving points. Since you're bringing up TK in this, I'll address that individually.

I've been playing for well over 10 years now; and TK has been around for just as long - so I'm no stranger to the early metas and how it has evolved into the modern approach to TK (which can be confusing to those not familiar with low-grav, low-dm thresh mods with a low turn frame). And as such, I don't find it to be at all random - which is what some often complain about. The point-multiplier for joints and body-parts are for the sake of argument, more forgiving, than lenshu per example (where groin and leg contact can result in high magnitude of points gained/lost). Too many times, I see players either getting shredded by a 2-frame snap kick; or have their leg massacred when their opponent only seemingly stick out a hand and grab when they themselves are trying to mimic a snap. Or they will find themselves inable to dm - or find that if they try to kick off the ground, their leg will explode into 3 pieces.

Now these examples may seem random and the mod may appear to be unforgiving. But that's just a part of intricacies of the mod. There are several aspects that need to attended to when playing TK. Point of contact per example. Or learning not to overcommit/rotate early on when both players clap. The latter is especially important since throwing out feints has become a big part of the meta. Too many times, I see someone overcommit to raising both of their arms as to fake a rush; and try to lower only to realize, "hey, I'm off the ground and floating wtf! This mod is randumb and gay xDDDD". As for self-dms...what the hell would people expect in a low-dm threshold mod would happen if you were to kick the ground with the force to chop a tree in half w/ a relaxed ankle?

I'm not saying Tk is perfect - as none of the mods are. But I find it to be tolerable since I know how to properly control my tori and am versed to what to do in particular situations. That's just a simple learning curve. Get over it. Learn not to overstress your joints so that they don't dm. And learn how to manage your tori so that you're not exposed after throwing out a bad snap kick frame 1 (which makes you go boom). Manage your way to familiarity with the physical aspects of the mod and it becomes less random and hArD.

If you don't have the capacity to learn 1 mod, simply don't play it. Always spectate when the mod comes up in ranked servers. Never matchmake. And accept that you'll never be able to rank up. Flex on brown belts in ABD who don't know what the hell a lumbar does to increase your elo to compensate for your inability to wrap your head around tk. Seems to me that many of the top players while not particularly tk mains, have adjusted well and are beginning to become more consistent (thus being able to rank up and widen the elo,and skill gap).

(:

I have to agree. For whatever it's worth, I'm also a diamond ranked player.

Like Gentleman said, people aren't well versed in Judofrac or TK which revolve around different skills and play patterns than ABD and lenshu. These mods are part of the embodiment of "what is toribash". At the essence of what made this game popular, was the ability to shred people to pieces. Like a single player replay. And fights featuring old TK legends like Imsku have the visual appeal of single player madmans with that feel of a spar. Learning to strike with paper thin room for error either because you'll be ripped to bits or your knees will fracture in low gravity is a legitimate talent. Not every game is about high gravity.

I recognize that the vast majority of players play ABD. It was the first mod many players learn competitively, it's what you see in betting servers, it's a unique skill. But that's not the only skill.

Simply put, results in both judofrac and TK are repeatable with similar levels of consistency as other mods. Good judofrac players produce high win rates against others. Good TK players can produce high winrates against others. Not perfectly, but Toribash has large elements of luck. Which by the way, prediction and luck manipulation and introducing or removing variance in your plays IS a skill. They deserve their place.

I, personally, think the clan league voting shows our community would prefer ErthTKv2 over regular TK to help prevent some of the mods short comings. But that's a different debate.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; Jun 1, 2019 at 06:24 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Gent and Bod thanks for in depth defense of the mod. TK is in no way a bad mod but both of you also hinted that the mod isn't perfect. I have also suggested changing the mod. the changes i suggested might be absolutely terrible and take the mod in a worse direction, but we should try to fix it's short comings the mod has been the same for, i don't even know how long. We should experiment with it and add changes when we find good ones. since a decent amount of people are unhappy with the mod and would rather have it gone. lets fix it's short comings as well as we can. I understand that we'll never get it to be perfect but lets get it as close as we can
Trying
tk is a weird mod, its not bad but its not like.. incredible.its not comparable to judofrac so you should stop with that, the only problem is that the matches take ages (lenshu matches also take ages but the difference im trying to highlight is the turnframes so maybe increase tk turnframes for ranked to 20 or something? i dont know. maybe just reduce matchframes)
the point system isnt exactly perfect in tk either, if it were to be replaced i suggest something like boxshu or one of those weird katana mods. i dont hate tk but i dont love it either, i dont really suggest removing it but maybe make a few changes to it.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Judo frac is the best mod how dare you the turn frames are fine considering most of the time someones to dm'd to do anything past frame 100
the main thing i think the mod needs is something that makes it more rewarding to be aggressive we already have Lenshu for somewhat defensive play
TK Frac perhaps Also that lesduncan point system i think is at least worth trying
main point: Update this mod to make it an actual striking mod
Trying