Ranking
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
The whole Atheist are Hitler argument is stupid in my opinion. It doesn't matter what you believe in or don't believe in, you can be a nice person regardless if you are religious or not.

This was the point I was trying to make. I am not arguing that atheism caused the holocaust, it had nothing to do with the holocaust. My point is that religion had nothing to do with the holocaust either. If someone (read "Cowmeat") says that religious people can be more evil than atheists could because they are religious, I am 100% going to mention all the evil things people don't need religion for. The prime examples, of bad something bad humanity did are the world wars, and more specifically the holocaust, neither of which needed religion. Do you want me to use a larger font or do you understand me now? TBH Hitler didn't need to be an atheist for my argument to work, although it certainly helps.
Good morning sweet princess
Well in the end, religion (in all it's incarnations) has done a whole lotta good and bad.

The thing is, religion gives people the excuse to feel:
better,
different,
superior, or even,
detached,
towards other people who may or may not follow the same deity. I believe that's part of the reason it's so prevalent in today's world.

People are fueled by the need to feel special. For some people this means a feeling of superiority, for others it could be feeling unique. There are many ways to be 'special' or 'different' and everyone seeks out one way or another. Our world is actually built around this model, rewarding those who do better or are more creative.

Now how does religion factor into this. Well if your worshiping a deity and following it's specific rules then 90% of religions state you will go to the "Good" version of it's afterlife. (Most having a horrendous bad version if you don't follow the teachings exactly)

Now since your following your 'god' or 'goddess' and your gonna make it into a good afterlife you immediately feel like you are in better shape than anyone who isn't gonna make it into the good afterlife. Hence that strong feeling of relief allot of religious folk say they feel.
That's how a majority of religions attract people. (Though there are MANY cases of indoctrination and other unsavory ways worshipers get a hold on people.)

Break that down to it's base factors and you'll find that religions strongest influence on the world is simply giving people a reason (good or bad) to divide themselves from other people and to think that they will have it better in the end.
Regardless of reasons malicious, or saintly, this is not helping us as a species. Ya know that old proverb: "United we stand, divided we fall." Well there is actually some truth to that however cliched it is, and religion is dividing us.

I'm not saying it's bad. I firmly believe that most religions original goals are to spread morals, good behavior and humanity. The thing is, we have a powerful educational system in place to teach those things in this modern age. Taking away religions original goal. Without that goal, what good is it currently doing?

Also, just throwing this out there but the church of Christ is the most wealthy organization on the planet. (Whacha gonna do with all that cash in the afterlife you silly popes.)
All religions have moral ups and downs.

Is religion contributing to society? Definitely. Whether that contribution is positive or negative is up to the person to ponder about.

Early Christianity focused on Love and Unity of all peoples within their common faith, originally there was no church, but it emphasized that the love and acceptance is the spirit of god himself. This view changed and was twisted and bent over hundreds of years, by the catholic church, by different influences, cultures, other religions. some changes bettering the religion, others hurting it and creating it into greed and extortion (Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, ect.)

There's good and bad in everything.
I'm not religious myself, but I'm courteous of other's faith. Some people don't realize that insulting one's religious faith is insulting one's chosen meaning for life, it would mean one is taking their meaning of life and reducing it to a pile of crap. Same way vice versa, one shouldn't speak badly towards a person with no faith or who's unsure of their faith. It's good to have an opinion,but be critical and analytical. Don't just hate one side for any random reason, ask questions, maybe you'll enlighten yourself. your question might be answered, or maybe not. there's nothing to lose with a little acceptance.
I'm sorry if I'm 2 years late for the discussion.

While I'm not denying the fact that religion has some good effects to people too, like giving inspiration and motivation and whatnot, but the bad effects of religion to our modern world is simply out of hand.

If there's one main thing that religion contributes in our modern-day society, its bullshit.

If (most) religious people arent so pessimistic about science, we could've had more scientific advancement.

If religious extremists didnt exist, then we could've achieved true "world peace".

If religious people didnt stop abortion because >MUH GOD, the world would be less crowded by now.

If Islam didnt restrict women, then we could've had more potential great thinkers or contributors to the world.

If Death Penalty wasnt stopped by Religious people because >MUH GOD, then we couldve had a better world.
Weirdest Tori in Toribash
<Diuwaybuns> Toribash is unprotected sex
arent these two contradictory?

If religious people didnt stop abortion because >MUH GOD, the world would be less crowded by now.

If Islam didnt restrict women, then we could've had more potential great thinkers or contributors to the world.

art horder. i like art.
mod requests: https://discord.gg/VEYqUSU
No, not at all.

Islam punishes women to death, beatings and physical harm if they do or are suspected of disrespecting their husband/cheating on their husband/doing something without the husband's permission, something as simple as talking. Very oppressive religion.

Christianity does no such thing. It is a moral/belief system, where if you break the moral code (to commit a sin), you ask God for forgiveness. Christianity preaches grace, forgiveness and the ability to move on from past failures. It also teaches you to be a kind, generous and honest person.

No single person represents the masses of any religion.
Originally Posted by Sc1ence01 View Post
If religious extremists didnt exist, then we could've achieved true "world peace".

You think religion is the only impediment to world peace..?

But yeah, agree that religion ain't good. Only worth I see in it is that some people find solace in it. That doesn't mean religion is good, it just means that these people either don't want to or are incapable of casting aside their faith, for whatever reason. They've got a secular, humanist (+less magical) alternate philosophy available but they don't choose it - It's self-delusion, whether they recognise that or not.

Good news though, cus there's a trend going on which displays that with every census, less and less people identify as being religious. Young people are way less religious than their grandparents generation, and short of some catastrophic event and a dark age period, this trend is going to continue.
Last edited by Ele; Jul 22, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
For me, religion is one of the biggest factors why most people still can't get along with each other. If we think of it, religion is the one who divided humanity, the one who poisoned the minds of thousands to do unbearable things.

And yea, I'm quite happy that atheism is becoming relevant in our society. I guess people are starting to grow up by not seeking comfort on their ex-sky Daddy.

I'm sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors. I'm just using a phone (the forums is terrible on a phone).
Weirdest Tori in Toribash
<Diuwaybuns> Toribash is unprotected sex
religion is really bad for people because it makes them believe in made up stuff thats not real like god for example it ruins for me because im christian but dont believe in god so like i feel like people are trying to force me to believe in something thats not real for me its impossible like many others ive heard or seen to actually believe in god
piratez
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
religion is really bad for people because it makes them believe in made up stuff thats not real like god for example it ruins for me because im christian but dont believe in god so like i feel like people are trying to force me to believe in something thats not real for me its impossible like many others ive heard or seen to actually believe in god

If you don't believe in God then how can you believe this world happened. Who created stars, who created planets, who created earth, who created the whole universe, who created YOU. There's someone and something behind this. This all didn't happen itself. No human power can create this, neither a small ant, nor a big planet. If you think it's wrong, show me an example.
No one has an answer to how this universe is created, not even science.
But the answer is in his book.

God is the only one who made this universe and the only one who gave us life. A chance, to do good in this world and he is the most merciful, He is the only one who shall put us in heaven or hell depending on what we have done in our lives. We are only given one chance, either make this short period of time, what? 70 years? probably less, a heaven for us in this world or obey our God and be in heaven afterlife, forever.
Last edited by MrSofty123; Jul 27, 2017 at 07:45 PM.