Ranking
Originally Posted by Lazors View Post
Is it possible to translate a painting to a text without losing its original intent?

If not, you have to accept at least that the communicative value of art is different from the communicative value of text.

I think it is possible. I reckon' most authors of the painting could easily do that (unless they're the sort that just paint whatever, randomly). Will viewers of the art be able to do that? Likely not, but that's not because words can't explain it, it's just because rarely will an interpretation of art be in line with the artist's intention.

That said, yeah, there's different communicative value between pictures and words. I still think words are not on the 'low' end of the 'communicative value scale' (sounds fancy).

Originally Posted by Lazors
I expected this sort of criticism. Of course, trying to explain with words that words can explain what words can explain isn't really convincing to me.

Well apparently it was.
You're right, I was sloppy in distinguishing between science and abstract thought.

If you swallow the idea that art is beyond science and reason, and there are ideas that cannot be translated into words, you must accept that there is something bigger that we cannot understand. If that isn't the definition of God I don't know what is.

This wasn't addressed to me, but that's just classic 'God of the gaps' thinking.

Originally Posted by xero901 View Post
Well it is solipsism. If reality existed independent of my senses, what proof do I have of that other than my senses?

If you want to indulge in that degree of self-delusion then there's nothing I or anyone else can do to convince you otherwise.

yada yada Qi-gong, yada yada third-eye, yada yada vision of Alex Gray paintings, yada yada

Mhm.

Edit: Another thing, if people aren't asking for your help. And if you think 'helping' someone is flexing your own ego at them, attempting to invalidate their opinion as drug-fueled rambling, you got too much to work with in your own head to be working in mine brah.

You said yourself that your opinion was supported by your drug-use. Fuck me for repeating you, ey? I wasn't aggressive with you at all. Fuck me for trying to get you to realise that that the world exists beyond your senses... I'm a real cunt, ey?