Ranking
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Original Post
How to Do Aikido for Adept Players
So I am making this tutorial to add to my Basic Tutorial That I did 2 weeks ago or so. So I will just get right to the point in this one. (Edit) I have gone through and found some replays to use as examples of different things.

Knowing Your Play Style

There are tons of different kinds of play styles, mine for example is a countering style. There are three basic play styles though, Counter,
Aggressive, and Passive, here is some info on them.

Counter Style
Counter style is recognized in a 2 key ways. One, they like to play aggressive, two, they don't mind having things like losing balance happening to them. So being lifted and shovels, things of that sort. Anyone that likes to play more passive than aggressive is generally more of a countering player. One major weakness to a counter style is to play passive, because then you force them to play aggressive and do what they don't like to generally do, and they end up generally playing more reckless.

Aggressive Style
Aggressive style is the most easily recognized playing style. An aggressive player is generally the people that go for the decapitation, go for the quick points with quick kicks, try to get hard hits on their "prey" as they would probably like to call it. A weakness to an aggressive player is a counter style, because a counter style is passive, and look for the hits that a player can get, and move in such ways to nullify the aggressive players move. For example, when an aggressive player is going to kick a good counter style can recognize that and if they kick, that will make it easy for a counter style to get lower, and suplex and or lift the aggressive opponent.
A hard move to counter though is a strong knee, if you can learn a strong knee that is good, because the foe is forced to not raise shoulders or extend elbows, unless they want to risk dismemberment or fracture. Will explain more later

Passive Style
A passive Style player is also pretty easy to recognize, because they will generally avoid going in for hits and sit back and wait for the other person to strike first. A passive player isn't always a counter style player,
because passive players that aren't a counter style, like to avoid getting lifted and such. They get the points they need and sit back and try to disqualify their foe as safe as possible. Playing passive is obviously the safest way to play, but also the slowest and requires most patience.

How to Make a Good Opener

This all depends on your play style so now that you know your play style here is what you need to know.

A Good Opener For Countering
A good opener for countering is always a move that focuses more on the second move rather than the first. Really, the opener is insignificant to a counter style play, I have 3 openers I use, the one I generally use, then I can do the reverse of it, and I have a suplex opener I made as a Green Belt. The opener I do is a secret for me though so, you can learn it, but it's hard to use because of the way it is. There is a lot of movement going on it is,
different movements. Anyways, a good opener for a counter style is a Clap move really, a suplex opener is always good too. A clap is contracting both pectorals, what you do with the rest of, is up to you. Contracting wrists is always good, because inside grabs always help more, more on that later. The suplex opener I do is extend glutes, relax knees and hips, hold ankles, contract abs and elbows, extend pectorals and wrists, extend neck, lower shoulders, and hold lumbar and chest. What you do the second turn is you turn the way to which the opponent comes in at, like if they bring a hook to your left, twist body to your left, vice versa, if they come in the same on both sides, what you do is up to you, it is generally best to turn to the right of you.

A Good Opener For Aggression
With aggression your first move is always more important than the second move. Though both are very pertinent. When making an aggressive opener one thing to remember is that you want to hit the "prey"
before they can hit you. Quick kick is definitely the most popular, as well as a shovel or lift move. Noob and Pro Claps are pretty popular among aggressive players. Clap moves are good because it always them to bring in a good knee on the second turn, as they can pull themselves in using pectorals, elbows, and wrists, shoulders sometimes too. Basically they will pull themselves in and bring knee around side, right into your pectorals or abdomen. Generally causing a fracture or dismemberment, but always giving tons of points. since if they hit you with a joint, and hit your body, they will get more points, since join hits don't give nearly as many points as a head, arm, or body hit does. I don't know any quick kick openers because I don't do them, but if you do, then post them in the comments, and I can add them to this and put your name next to it to give you credit. A Clap opener is simple though, you just contract wrist and pectorals and mostly will relax rest of body. With the Pro Clap you will contract knees and elbows I do believe and will lower shoulders to give allusion that you will shovel.

A Good Opener For Passiveness
Being passive can be fun, but requires most patience and is safest play style. Really all you have to do to be passive it Noob or Pro Clap and sit bad and relax. You will sit back and stay low to wait for your foe to attack first, when they attack you will try to use their being off balance against them. You will basically try to get them off the ground since when they attack, most likely they will have only one foot on the ground and you will still have two. So you can push off ground and push them up into the air. I will explain how to stay low and whatnot next, but really that's all a passive player does. They try to avoid contact as much as they can. Most players don't like that because they find it boring, but if this works for you it works for you.

More Abut Balance

I did talk about keeping balance in my other tutorial, but here is a little more on it. As I said before center of gravity is key to understand,
if you want to find your center of gravity here is what you do. Look at where your head is, look at where your feet are, then your center of gravity is definitely somewhere around the middle between those two.

P.S. in the images, imagine an imaginary line from the head, to the feet, and the center of gravity is around the middle of that line.

Here's an example:

However, if the tori is not straight up and down, the center of gravity shifts to around half way between feet and head, diagonally.

Here's an example:

Another thing that can happen that would change the center of gravity is the addition of mass. Which would be the other tori on you. The more extra mass you add, the more the center of gravity, moves down toward the ground, because you're being push down more and more. A key thing to remember when playing is you want to get that center of gravity as low as you can, but you never want center of gravity any lower than your knees. If it gets that low, you have issues, and are too low, you never want center of gravity above the abs if you are trying to stay low. Only time you want it any higher is when you are suplexing, shoveling, or lifting. Remember, staying low is essential to keeping balance.

Developing Counters
Obviously everyone knows the big thing in Grapple mods are to counter what your foe does to you, that is if you get suplexed, shoveled, or lifted.

Suplex Counter
Suplex is the hardest move to counter, most of the time, depends on who you are fighting. The reason suplex is hard to counter is because it's a question of how to stop momentum more than anything. When you see that your foe is leaning back and you are on top of them, and they are any good, expect a suplex. So knowing that here are some things you can do:

• Curl up your legs into your chest first.
  • Contract every joint on your legs, including ankles and glutes.
  • Extend your pectorals and elbows, raise shoulders, and contract wrists.
    (This will nullify the throw they will try to ensue on you,
    for the most part)

Even still some people will be able to get you up, so then what you do is contract elbows to pull yourself in. You can also try to extend glutes and knees to try and "straddle" your opponent, because if you can get legs around them, they won't be able to pull you up over themselves. It locks you in the air, wherever you are, when you do the straddle. It's like using your feet to grab their sides.

Countering Lifts
Counter a lift is something EVERYONE and there mother complains about, but it is one of the simplest counters their is out there. Next to that of countering a shovel. Now when you counter a lift it's all about timing. You have to know when to pull yourself down.

• Sometimes it's good to help them lift you into the air by extending you whole arm, contracting pectorals and raising shoulders.
  • Next turn you can extend pectorals, contract elbows and wrists, keep shoulders raises, and pull up a knee, contracting knee and hip, of the leg you want to knee with.
    (This could get you easy points, dismemberment, or fracture)

Mostly though the best and easiest way to counter a lift is to do what I said in the Basic Tutorial I did. The knee is a better way to help you get advantage if you can pull it off, Since you are in the air, you have all that potential engery that you can trust right into your opponent, if you know how to take advantage of physics on your side.

Countering Shovels
Perhaps my favorite thing to counter, a shovel, since it's so easy to turn it into a suplex and put them out the ring, where they tried to put you. To counter a shovel you basically do everything I said in this tutorial on how to counter a lift, but minus the knee, because it is more dangerous to do when you are being pushed out the ring:

• Once you get on the ground be sure to try and get lower so you can suplex the heck out of them.
  • So contract knees and hold hips hold glutes, contract ankles.
  • (P.S. Contracting ankles does matter, because it always you to fall forward rather that backwards onto your booty)
  • Now once you have gotten low and back into the ring, you have to try and extends knees and elbows to reverse the upward force, onto them, also extend wrists if they aren't, if they're extended contract them so it is easier to push them up.
  • If extending wrists doesn't help or makes it worse, you can contract them for one turn so that you can get the force going up, so on the next turn, it is easier to extend them, since the momentum would be in your favor.

The only reason this one has the most steps is because of situations. For most part situations change more with a shovel than with a suplex or common lift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. These don't always work, and people know that this is how people counter, so they make moves that counter that counter, it is up to you to find out how to counter their counter to your counter. Grappling is just one big counter contest. Try to find the best counters. I can make a more advanced tutorial in the future if people enjoy this one too.
Attached Files
Lift Counter.rpl (52.2 KB, 12 views)
Lift Counter 3.rpl (52.4 KB, 9 views)
Lift Counter 2.rpl (60.8 KB, 11 views)
Suplex Counter.rpl (61.1 KB, 10 views)
Suplex Example.rpl (57.4 KB, 10 views)
Suplex Example 2.rpl (68.8 KB, 8 views)
Shovel Counter.rpl (74.7 KB, 9 views)
Last edited by MrMiyagy; Jul 31, 2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Adding more info, and reorginization