Ranking
Original Post
3d Candy Commercial, 6 week project in Maya
So as some of you guys might have noticed I am working on a huge Maya Project, this is going to be the biggest project Ive ever worked on, so I figured why not document my progress with my dear beloved t3al buddies.

The goal is to make a 35 second commercial for a Candy called Racermints, I would post a storyboard I have drawn but its like 16 frames so.. :P

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 8, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Front of the car looks rather empty atm., could use some sort of grill or something.

I do like the environment shot so far, shadows could be a bit softer.
Cute style you're developing right now :)
DeviantArt (╯А□А)╯︵ ┻━┻
Warning: Removal of the attached label is punishable by instant death.
I like the car a lot but I have to agree with wiirus, the front of the car is a bit empty.
Good to see some projects going

I want to see how it looks in the end
ok so body texture is close to finished, spent like 5 hours UV-mapping it, but that means texturing will be a lot better and easier.

texture

I also got some positive feedback from my teacher, forgot to freeze geometry before saving the preview.
Last edited by Ezeth; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
yeah the font is pretty basic, I got it on its own layer so I can change it easily
edit:update, week 2 is over.

http://i.imgur.com/sUhfa.png

Week 3 is done.

All textures done, all bumpmaps done, all specular maps done, more lighting options and faster render speed (believe it or not)
Last edited by Ezeth; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Week 5: Playblast of the animation, animating the car box camera and mint and getting ready to render the full version.

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/a...Racermints.mp4

keep in mind that the playblast is just rough animation and isn't very refined. A playblast like this is made so the customer can agree of what he/she is buying before sending it to rendering saving tons of time.

I am currently in week 6, started rendering on 4 computers at the same time, total of 60 hour render time (divided by 4)
Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 8, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Looks nice, I like the shot where the mint goes in to the car, much better than the other edit.

The stairs at the start look a bit boring. Maybe give them a chamfer and change the texture? It's very dark and spec-y. It doesn't read very well. The mint is also pretty small on screen, so maybe tighten up the shot a bit or make it stand out more.

Overall the entire ad is pretty dark.

Car doesn't look like it's going very fast at the end. Needs motion blur and a faster speed to make it look like it's really racing instead of doing 20 mph.

When the lid comes off the mint container shouldn't it bounce a little or something? It's falling on to what looks like concrete so it shouldn't do that kind of thing.

the bouncing of the mint looks a bit unnatural

when a car fishtails like that the front doesn't move so jerkily, and it doesn't usually move that much. Is the car fishtailing or swerving to warm up? I can't tell, it looks a bit unnatural

the text at the end is terrible man XD

When it goes from R to Racermints, you should make that text 3d, it doesn't blend in with the lighting at all. The background when it goes to the text part is pretty bad too. I really liked that final vista when it's got the big R and the sky and such, are you sure you can't keep that part a bit longer?

Great work