Toribash
Originally Posted by 8OJ4N View Post
Elaborate, idk what you mean...

Had my thoughts at the other card game...

Idk how that went, but i know I built a deck but never played it
-----

How about using stances as well, for example being defensive should pay off when blocking, if that is now possible.
Last edited by Smogard49; May 25, 2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Thank you deprav, that would be helpful.
-----
How would you resolve grab in martial arts fight? Which benefits grab would have in a fight?

When you grab someone, naturally you have better option to hurt or subdue him. So grab card would work as an opener to do more potential damage to player. If player has no counter for grab, the moment he is grabbed, his guard would fall and he would be vulnerable to suffer some kick(s) or punch(es) that would probably injure him.

On the same time, if you try to grab someone and he successfully evade it, you would be vulnerable and without proper guard. Then you would provide an opener for your opponent to kick or punch you going straight to your vulnerable spots.

What are your thought on this?
Yeah sounds good. You can grab to either clinch and hurt him by knees elbows or go for a take-down.
-----
Lets talk about Hung Gar Kuen style. It will be in game, and based on what I've read about it, cards presenting moves of that style will have these characteristics:

good:

- precision (you will hit targeted spots on opponent body more easily)
- power (your attacks will do much damage)
- endurance (your blocks will reduce much of opponents damage he is doing to you)

bad:

- lack of speed (you will be prone for counter-attacks)
- no adaptability (since it is pure stance martial art, it will be harder for you to block moves (cards) that are outside of wushu canons [moves that player have learned from bosses NPCs])
- No grabs (that style won't have any grab card, thus you are limited only to attacks and counter-attacks)

I think you got this pretty spot on! I would add that since the stance is pretty rigid..we can a quite few more hits!

Please, discuss about this. I want to hear your ideas, because this will be first set of 10 cards I will make, to honor our beginnings in Hung.

-----

Perfect stance!This one is called the Horse stance if you're interested in knowing the stances. The left hand is a perfect tiger claw, but the right..the thumb looks pretty awkward.
This is just a preview of Player Character Card. It is still in beta. ;] Quick example.
But, as you can see, players would have option to spend 19 points on characteristics which have influence on cards they use.
For instance:
Good speed will add bonus to: dodge and counter-attack, in that way that dodge would be more successful ( dodge can fail! ) and counter-attack would be more successful and with better damage inflicted.

There are also 3 perks every player can choose from perk list (it is planned to have 30 of them!), so you can focus your character to have some advantages in certain situations...

And you can choose one ability that can be activated once per turn, and has impact on Trading Card Game resolve. (it deals with cards only)
It is planned to have 15 abilities to choose from.

Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
Had my thoughts at the other card game...

Idk how that went, but i know I built a deck but never played it
-----

How about using stances as well, for example being defensive should pay off when blocking, if that is now possible.

You mean Toribash Trading card Game?
That card game was very true replica of Toribash wushu match. I've played it (for testing) with Snake, and it was quick, easy to play and very random (like TB) so things would change dramatically for one or other player in few minutes.
You could be winning all the time, have advantage, and then lose in one go.
It was really fun game, and because it was looking like a 'TB with cards' I was naive that presenting that idea to some developers, they would be interested to make it as a real game, in web browser, so we have something to do while we wait in long lines in TB rooms.
But, as i said, I WAS NAIVE. If I had some programming skills I would sure try to make it. I'm sure that card games are much easier to do than these 'physic' games Hampa is making. In essence, its all arrays and data bases, functions for calling cards from data base and resolving simple mathematical equations.
Hampa would make engine for that in few days, I'm sure of that.
Me, I couldn't do it unless I would spend some really long time to learn all the mathematics I forgot and some programming languages...

To be honest, if I was Hampa and had programming skills like him, I would just buy this Construct 2,game making tool, and made that game in a span of 24 h!
I mean, looking at the stuff he's doing now, MiniBash and that racing game, things like that some people with programming skill are making in Construct 2 very easily, and Construct 2 is Html5 compatible. Basically, you make a game and export for web. End of story.

I've made some shit in it and exported just to see how it works in different web browsers (IE Explorer, Mozzila, Chrome, Opera)...
It worked in all these browsers without any bugs.
Considering how much Hampa is losing his time to make browser compatibility 'manually', I really don't get it why he do things 'on hard'?
Maybe he likes to program everything, idk...

Construct work perfectly with vector graphics, adding sounds, video, whatever, is just 'drag and drop'...

But, what can I say? I'm no programmer. I really can't became one (at least good one) now, because I have big holes in my knowledge of mathematics (and you have to be good in that) and I don't have a 'logical mind' of a programmer. All I can do is to prepare artwork and idea.

It would be possible to play TTCG on forum, but if I have to play some game on forum I would rather play something more complicated, refined, brain-engaging... And this new card game is that. It is evolution of TTCG.

TTCG was jamb, and Wushu Masters (WM) is chess. It is more cerebral game. With idea that evolved on all levels.
Combining it with map, travel and RPG it is now something that can tell a story, while TTCG was a 'quick fix', you play few cards - bam! - you're won or you lost. Nothing complicated.

And WM is slow progress, tactical, quests, story-line, leveling... Basically, many things!

So, I'm sad that TTCG wasn't interesting enough to Hampa as a side-project, and I can tell the truth, I WOULD WORK ON IT, WITH HIM, NOT ASKING ANYTHING IN RETURN, no pay, not even to be mentioned as a developer, artist, NOTHING! Just to have that game published on Tb forum in web browser would be enough for me, because idea was sound, it really looked like Toribash with cards! and I'm sure coding it would be much easier than MiniBash or that PiRacer...

But, as I said, I was naive.

So, better to do something very close to that. And this forum RPG with cards is that thing.

Since it is all in alpha stage, we can work on it together, balance it through beta (when I'll promote the game on event part of the forum), we can give people that would participate in beta testing some TC rewards so they wouldn't feel like doing it for nothing, and then, when we polish the game, we can make ORG and do some stuff.

I think I've explained everything with this 'wall of text' post. ;]
-----
I'LL say some things about GAME MECHANICS (forum and cards), IN NEXT POST!
-----
TRAVEL ON MAP

In this game there is simple rule: ''While you masturbate, I calculate!''
Meaning that everything you have to do is to post your action, and magically, it will be resolved and updated on forum.
When I say magically I mean: I do all the work. I am the game engine.

So, in this chapter we will go through the process of travel and random encounters with wild life of ToriWorld.

Important: all these images are just example images, true look of the game may change...

So, here is the situation:
We see William (his character) position somewhere not too far from the River City. River City is laying on the fork of two rivers. Deprav is also there, outside of the city, and we see a NPC camp of some river pirates.

Now, let's say that William had some troubles on his journey through ToriWorld and he wants to go to the River City and do some stuff there. Since all players have their turns of playing, let's also say that Deprav plays before William, and William is second in turn.

So, Deprav do his move like this, he post on the forum:

Deprav:I'm going to pirates camp.

What happens next? Well, while he scrape his butt somewhere in the comfort of his room, I do this:

I put a 'measuring tool' on the marker of his character and point it toward pirates camp. Every circle is distance of 10 km. So, as you can see, from Deprav's location to pirates camp there is a roughly distance of 40 kilometers. Now, in this game it is set that every person can travel 30 km a day, which means that Deprav will be at the location of pirates camp (roughly) in a day and a half time.
So, after I know that, I post this on forum:

Bojan: Deprav will be on pirate's camp location in day and a half time.

And I put this arrow marker on the map so I and everybody else know where is he going.

Now, don't expect that I will watch the clock, count the hours exactly and make next post at the right time when his travel end. No way.
Roughly day and a half (where half can be anything XD), I'll set Deprav's marker on pirates camp location, and that would be it. Maybe he will be there few hours earlier or later, that really doesn't matter since there are no quests in the game that depends on time. Only thing for sure is that it will pass a day before he gets there (24 h later I'll make an update on the map)
When you travel through wild nature anything can happen, so you are never on time anyway...

Now, since Deprav has played his turn, William can do his stuff, so he also post something like this:

William: I want to find some nice brothel in River City and spend all my money there! River City, here I cum!

So, after another measuring...

We can see that he must travel 50 km to River City and that is roughly 2 days of travel. So, again I just post on forum that he will be there in two days, adding arrow marker so we know where's he going and when that time expires I update map, and he is there.
After that we continue game

So, for some time, maps look like this:

And, day & a half later, it will look like this:

I will probably post a notice:

Bojan: Deprav is now on pirates camp location.

Now, since we are on forum, and time really doesn't have any meaning here, I really won't care if Deprav would go inactive and just stay there for few days doing nothing, or will William in the meantime do two or three things by posting on forum because suddenly he became super-active... When I say that players play in turns, it is a loose meaning. You play when you can, and game progress (for your player) after you make a post. So, will you sit on some location for days or not, really doesn't matter.
When you post - something happens. When you don't post - nothing happens.
It is an action - reaction relationship.

So, if Deprav in few days decide to challenge pirates camp leader to a fight, it will be resolved then. And, if, after spending few night at River City brothel William decide to travel further, it will be resolved then, all in due time and when they make a post, continuing game when it suits them.

It works like that. No one is under pressure to constantly post. Play it when you can, how you wish. Simple.

Now, if u for some reason change your mind, and on the half way decide to change the location of your travel, you just have to post that.
Maybe William decided that city is not that much attractive, and that he want to travel to the woods, right of the city.
When he post on forum his new destination of travel, I will calculate how much kilometers he already passed, put his marker accordingly (we have time stamps on posts so it's easy to determine that), and I will set him new time table and direction.

Map will have compass (or rose of the Winds), so you can travel West, East, North-East... Stuff like that. You can move freely, or between marked locations in straight lines.

ENCOUNTERS!

Now, when you travel through wasteland of ToriWorld it is possible to encounter some NPC wild life, or some NPC characters, like road bandits or lone wolfs, etc.
Encounter could happen when your travel is 2 or more than 2 days long (so, after every 60 km u might encounter something).

It is purely random and it serves as a mini-quest thingy. You can't be killed by encounter! Only thing that can happen is injure that will prolong your travel (you will have to rest and heal).
If you pass your encounter by defeating it in a fight you will earn some card move (only one!). So, encounters can be good for your character in that way that they will enrich your deck with cards that are special and have characteristics that other pre-set cards don't.

So, you might have complete deck of Hung Gar style, but when you defeat (for example) dire wolf, you might get a card like: animal wrestling, that will grant you some move that is completely different from the style of your play, and can serve as a nasty surprise to your future opponents. Basically, encounters are good thing, they evolve your character deck and fighting options.

Ok, lets see how they work than...

On this example we see William that decided to travel freely on the distance more than 50 km long, heading South-West, which will take him through some wood and travel itself will last for more than 5 days.
All prerequisites for encounter are met so it's time for me, Game Master, to make his life miserable! :]

I do this stuff with dice and a list of encounters set by numbers from 1 to 6. This is the only part of the game where I can indulge myself and it's a reward for all that calculating! XD
List of encounters is yet to be made, but, for instance, let's say that by the random play of a dice William just got some very bad number and, after 60 km of travel this happens:

Bojan: William encountered a forest bear. Fight erupts!

After this notification, William will have to fight this animal. Fight is resolved by cards, and animals, monsters, bandits and other NPC encounters have their pre-set decks of moves they use.
Naturally, these encounters are not very strong, but than again, they are not harmless either. You could be injured fighting them, but not killed.
If you win a fight, you get a card from their arsenal. RANDOMLY.

You can keep these cards, or trade them with other players. What you will ask for them I leave to you to decide. Depending how much you take this game seriously you can even trade them for TC.
I really won't object. You can give them for free to some other play if you wish. But, when you do that, you lose the card. It isn't part of your deck anymore, and if you try to swindle me by using it although it is not in your possession anymore, I'll remove you from game permanently.
Don't forget that, while you masturbate, I calculate, and I keep a record off all these things in my book.

Also, there is one rule of forum game that, if you brake it, your post get's deleted and you get 7 days (a week) of 'out of the game' ban.
That rule is:

NO EDITING OF YOUR POST!

If u make grammatical mistake, or any kind of mistake, DON'T EDIT YOUR POST. Leave it be. Just DON'T TOUCH IT!
Because of this I recommend that, before you click on the 'reply' button, read your post carefully.

So, this it the basic things about TRAVEL and ENCOUNTERS.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 26, 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
hmm i got an idea.. some techniques based on useage of some bodyparts, so if you know waht kind of techniques opponent use you will attack bodyparts required for him to execute his techniques
Yes, I was thinking about that.
The whole fighting part of the game should be close to realism of a martial arts clash of two fighters.

What happens in a fight? They sure don't look like stuff we see in movies.
First; they don't last for ages, where fighters block each-other constantly like they can predict every move of their opponent. That's just choreography.

Real fight between two martial art fighters would probably last no more than 10 minutes. Someone would be hurt really fast, and that who would be better at predicting and know how to manage in a situation would probably do few hits with no blocks that would devastate his opponent, no matter what kind of endurance he has.

So, injuring someone in a fight, braking his arm or leg, would basically mean end for that poor fellow. There is no way that guy with broken limb could be threat to his opponent.
If he would continue to fight in that condition he would only be hurt even more.

On the other hand, open wounds like cuts and bruises would be just a nuisance for trained fighter, under all that adrenalin he would still be able to fight. While strained muscles would had mayor impact on his moves and ability to prolong the fight. Hi 'skill' would suffer due his inability to do some moves impaired by muscle strains...

Internal bleeding is even worst than broken bone. You are just closer to death.

That's why this game has:

- power of the punch / kick that has three 'strengths':

low (when punch / kick is blocked)
medium (when you hit opponent but not in full strength, it may be due his constant moving or because you didn't execute your move how it should be) and
full (when you executed your move perfectly and it wasn't block by anything)

So, depending on the fact that your full strength move landed on the target, you can devastate someone with that one good punch / kick.
If it lands on some critical parts of the body or organs, you just have swayed fight toward your win, eventually or instantly.

For example, lets say that two fighters are fighting in different styles of wushu.
One of them just had very bad card to respond on his opponent's attacking card, so he suffers an injure - strain muscle of his right leg.
Momentarily, all card moves that, to be executed, use both legs, are -25% ineffective. (25% because 100% = both arms and both legs)
So, lets say he risk it (because he doesn't have any other card at that moment in his hand) and plays his move even while injured, and because of that fumbles and make an opening for his opponent to attack him and lay a full strength kick to his lower body part, hitting him on target (liver) and causing internal bleeding due to a power of that kick.

Fight is over.

Situations like that would happen in this game, and when you manage to make some advantage, causing an injure to your opponent with some good card played at the right time, it will put a strain on him and make harder for him to win. Just like in real life.

On cards, on the image of a move, there are red spots that show which limbs you need to execute them. If all of them are not injured, your move is fully effective. If some of them are, your punch / kick will be in lower strength than usually. So, basically, you lose a full strength hit option, so you are limited to low and medium.
You can still do damage like that, and with few hits on the soft spots of your opponent you can still beat him, but your task just became much harder with your injure.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 27, 2013 at 07:39 AM.
I'll explain it quickly now, before I go to bed, and I'll put detailed explanation tomorrow when I get from work...

Every player who deiced to participate in beta testing and balancing of the game will get 10 cards, just basic moves that any student-beginner of martial arts would know. You know, kids stuff. :]

That deck will consist some attacking cards (punches and kicks), blocks, grabs and doge cards. No cards that have counter-attack specialty, that will come later, advanced stuff.

So, set like that they can fight, not really good, but good enough to survive encounters. Then they roam the ToriWorld and 'build' their knowledge. There will be seven schools (dojos) on the map where they can go and learn wushu styles. There will also be some masters that teach advanced things for every style (special cards), but you will have to find them, :]
If you focus on learning one or two styles, you will collect the full deck of those styles, if you start learning all at once you will just have parts of everything and nothing... But, that's on players to decide how to focus their knowledge and on what.
When you make your character, depending how you spent points on your characteristics, perks and ability, you will know for what styles to go. (I'll make a list of cons and pros of all styles)

So, roaming world on map is already explained, now for fighting with cards:

Every player will have his spoiler in which all his cards will be (that's for them and me to know what they have of cards). When there is a duel between two players or player and NPC they will need to post replay from Toribash.

Replay is there acting as 'virtual dice' data, that is used in mathematics equations I've prepared to calculate bunch of stuff. One of that stuff is which cards you will be dealt during your first turn.

Stamina = how many cards in hand you have during your turn.

I send you PM with images of your cards you got dealt, so only you and I know what you have in hand. Your opponent doesn't know shit.

Data from replay is used to calculate who plays first.

First player just right click on image of the card in his PM and set it on his post (copy image url), thus playing his first card.

His opponent responds to his card (if he can) in same fashion.

If you are targeting with your attacking card some certain part of opponents body you are obliged to write that in your post, together with card you using.

Example of post format:

Target: Head
[card]

Card fight is resolved, and they continue to play depending on that resolve. First player might lose his lead to play first if he suffers HP drain due a hit, which makes Second player to play next card first.

When they play all their cards they got dealt (and if they are still standing :]) second turn starts, again they post TB replay, data is extracted and calculated, and new cards are dealt to them via PM.

When all cards are used, player with higher HP has won, or someone might get injured or knock out cold, or just submit so he won't suffer greater injuries or death.

Winner gets duplicate of a card from loser's deck (losing player doesn't lose the card from his deck, it is duplicate), so that way you learn some new stuff from your opponent (new move, new style), or you get card that you already have, so you have 2 or 3 of the same, which is also good because chance of that card to get dealt just rise with every duplicate you have.

Winner also receive XP, and loser also, but very little amount. This is calculated by points of HP damage they have done. Full XP amount for winner, just 1/2 per point for loser.

And, that's it. Same goes for fights with NPCs, just, I'm the one who have to provide replays and get cards depending on data. I play for NPCs (or my assistant Game Master)

Off course you will have to believe in my honesty, I can't just show you equations because then anyone would be able to calculate what kind of cards his opponent has.
But, I didn't made this game to cheat in it. What would be point in that? I think you know me that good. All my events and games were strictly 'by the book', and I don't give anyone exemptions. Not even to you Snake.

So, that's it, in short. Details will come tomorrow.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 27, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
errr.. can we use gdocs mb? to speed up process etc? like the old one?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

i can create a new doc and link will be free for all to edit who have a link and copy for each duel so it will be several "desks" aswell as movement map can be done in gdocs too
Last edited by snake; May 27, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
This forum doesn't support gdocs anymore.
And if people would go to gdoc to play it than it would be Google game not Toribash forum game.

What to speed up? It is a forum game after all... And since this card game is x10 complex then the TTCG, calculating which card won over the other one has many variables, and how to calculate it depends of cards abilities and when one card is played before another (sequence), so making it in gdoc would be just as hard as programming the engine for the game itself.

This is not TTCG, snake.

Map updates are much more easier through dropbox, since image is already set on cloud, so update is like: move some layer, hide some layer, save image, finish.

Game will not use gdocs and no one will have to follow some external links to follow what is going on.

You come to the forum, see what is posted, reply, and you are done. That is how this will work. You're forgetting that to use gdoc two people must be online in the same time to use it (if its used to calculate things and moves during a card match), which again brings that GMT problem. Also people has to deal with permissions, to learn to use that gdoc file, etc... Too complex for them.
This way, game is GMT free, and all you do is - you post something and wait for reply. As I said, you play it when you can and as you wish.
-----
Card duels will be done in separated threads.

Thread will be opened with header like: [Card Duel - Snake vs William]
Inside the thread you will play your card match as it is explained. When both of you post your cards, I will calculate which card has won and post that. (you can do it yourself just by looking at cards characteristics and writings and consulting rules, but only I can post the resolve for it to be valid)
Then you play next cards, and so on, and so on, until someone wins or all cards are used in finishing turn.

Then we scrap that thread, and return to main thread with the map, where you continue your journey and quests.
Last edited by 8OJ4N; May 27, 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump