ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Publicity Problems/Topic
So a lot of things have been going on with me lately.
I've started posting my art and animations on multiple sites and have even publicized myself during events I've DJ'd, displayed art/animation at, etc.
Unfortunetly, It seems as though People aren't starting to notice my work more. I know this takes time, but I should at least be making more progress than what i am now.

So that's where you guys come in.
I want you guys to discuss methods, ways, and tips you can think of that would be useful for publicizing ones self and ways people can do the exact opposite. How would you try and get your works known to the public and have them wanting more?
I know people often tweet their work to someone who is "big" in that line of culture. If that person likes it, maybe they'll respond to you and others will see that, and look into you further. I don't know.
Your pal,
crith
Just make something interesting. Over 9000 people make animations and art, and over 9000 of them are incredibly talented.

You aren't owed recognition.

Work on things that will entertain or impress people. If you get a lot of people interested then eventually someone who knows what they are doing will show up.
Originally Posted by chrisfinne View Post
I know people often tweet their work to someone who is "big" in that line of culture. If that person likes it, maybe they'll respond to you and others will see that, and look into you further. I don't know.

This method is cancerous, please don't do it.
If you frequent forums that others visit and you are a productive member making good work then someone will take notice, but it won't be overnight. Please don't go around begging people to retweet you - same goes for "plz sub me on YT" "plz share me on FB" etc.
Agreeing with the cow, if you want noticed you need to do something spectacular to stand out. All it takes is for a few people to think you've done something awesome & it'll build from that... So long as you can be consistent on awesomeness.
Note "awesome", not good, not great - AWESOME. As he said there's far too many people trying the same for anything less than awesome to stand out.

And FFS don't e-beg or pester people, a shitty rep for being an e-whore will overshadow any work you do.

That aside, you said "People aren't starting to notice my work more". So that implies that you've already got some attention? If so that's good, means you're sorta on the right track. Now all you've gotta do is kick it up a notch; repeat until awesome happens. GL.

Note - More people will die unknown than get anywhere, so don't get your hopes too high.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I hope you're not talking about the stuff on your youtube.
Because if you are, you could start by improving.

As to what most people do, get in with groups, theyr pretty good for getting exposure.
subscribe to other people and comment on their work.
talk to people. irc channels and forums, the more people see your face, the more chances you have of people checking your work out.
get a blog, and just talk, repost other peoples stuff, generally, be nice

asking and begging wont get you any exposure, but talking and discussing will.
Last edited by BenDover; Dec 9, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
The best advertisement is word of mouth. You should have things that people will want to show to their pals.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Thanks everyone who has helped me so far.
I am going out in public with more of my work as well as trying to get more content, quantity and quality wise, for my alias.
Also attempting to use more sites more often like Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal, DeviantArt, etc.

Originally Posted by chrisfinne

No offense or anything personal, but this tip was just ridiculous. I don't want a bad rep. you know.

Anything else anybody has for me that's related to this topic, please share it with everyone.
Well depending on what type your doing, deviantart isn't a bad bet. I've posted some artwork and got more views on that then I do my youtube page. Deviantart,photobucket are pretty good bets with art and animation.
But in all reality... I think I might be insane...
Deviant Art is excellent in many ways, but visibility is poor without external linking.

Youtube is terrible as far as standing out goes, you have to rely on using tactics that will inevitably result in hate if you want to hit numbers worth getting.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I can vouch for deviantART, i met some cool and extremely talented people there, and i also actually got contacted once about doing arty stuff for this cool thing (which i REALLY should get back to). Beyond that, i can't really offer much advice that hasn't been said. Finding groups of people in the same line of work is a tremendous help though, that much is certain (and i'm not even remotely famous yet).

Also, i repeat: Post your stuff wherever you can, obviously without being overly obnoxious about it. The more people that see it, the bigger the chance that a word of mouth cascade will start. You just need one of those cascades to become a known face.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol