Toribash
Original Post
Learn how to learn Toribash (Fighting)
Basically you are doing something instead of watching a video
(ill teach you how to do something in my video)

Why i am doing this some might ask?
I want to make at least a part of Toribash into a game i can enjoy.
Im tired of most toribash players, 80% of the time i ran into one dimensional beeings. They know what they are doing and are good at it but they can use only like 5% of their potential. While i live here as a fourth dimensional god, bored by your Lifts and double handed grabbing. Your only doing the same over and over again. A lot of you might be stronger then me. But you are as creative as a stick. You are like a guy who think he can cook but only uses what he learned from a book instead of experimenting. Get out of your comfort zone instead of bitching about how you dont like other stuff.
Im done.

Sorry if im to offensive for some people but im just saying what i thougt and experienced in this game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to give you an idea, im no good teacher.
If you want to be good you need a healthy mix of physical understanding, 3d imagination and experience.

I offer you some experience here:

1st: Movement

You just have to start a Game with -30 Gravity and get into different Positions.

Its like: Starting to move, slow it down, get into position and stay for a few frames. Then get back into an upright position and repeat.

Movement: balance, maximal movement range, flow

2nd: Focus and Sparring

Example is Aikido.tbm

Here is the second lessons, 2 in one kinda.

Look at how other people are playing. If you lost an match and have to wait dont switch to youtube or your anime or whatever is in the backround.
Just listen to some music relaxe and analyise what is happening. You dont have to understand it. You will automaticly. After some time.
I am not saying that you have to watch every game always. Just sometimes. It really teaches you something. Also it helps to correct the attention handycap which smartphones and instant information have caused.
(Also trying to understand different martial arts and their principles is very usefull. Aikido is what movement of the whole body belongs the most experienced.(in my opinion.))

Your next challenge is to just watch the gameplay ive uploaded down below. Take your time for it, see it like you are meditating. Just empty your mind and absorb.

What i did there is your second lesson today. Ive looked for a guy i felt comfortable playing with and asked him if he wanted to do some basic training with me.
I opened aikido.tbm, changed dojosize to very big. I just moved him at the beginning and he kinda absorbed it and just stayed on his feet.
The more we played the more serious it did get. We made fun and did shit. This is what sparring truly is. Not trying to do something cool. Just doing something mindlessly (in this case grappling) untill your good enough to make it look cool.

Here a big thanks for Jeff who was the best sparring partner ive ever had. All the hours <3

3rd: Get out there and gather your own experience

At this point you should be able to move yourself freely (not perfectly but at least in the direction you want to go) and you should be able to move your opponent how you want to.

Now its time to try out different mods, stay on the same mod for a few days, learn it. Then move to the next one and start again. Thats it. You will find a lot of Challenges if you want to.

Try to only defend yourself sometimes, then go on full attack. Just play and have fun.

4th: Chain Movements

When i say chain movements im talking not about a specific set of moves or a way of how to do it. But rather about you ability to prepare movements instead of executing them.

Ehm for an instant, if you punch. You have to put all your weight behind it to deliver a lot force but also to bring yourself out of ballance. Which makes you fall forward obviously. That would be ONE executet punch. You hit, then you have to reballance.

When you are working with Chain movements you are predicting the force coming from your punch and you try to work against it. You can do a simple step. Or you can do a kick to transfer the forward force into upwards force which you should put into your opponent. You also could do a weak first punch to prepare a second heavy one. In aikido you can grab instead of punching, then pull yourself into your enemy to deliver a heavy punch with your second move.

This is really one of the hardest things i have encountered in Toribash. You have to forget about your ghost and work with your imagination. You have to be precise otherwise you would miss and get instantly out of ballance. You have to use the right ankles when attacking otherwhise you would just lift youself upwards or push you backwards.

It should be your goal to be able to create an infite storm of never ending attacks. Always beeing able to manipulate your opponent while also beeing able to move yourself freely. And that over a periode of multiple rounds.

Now let my words settle in your mind and forget about everything else. Here is some gameplay where i tried to concentrate only on this.

Last: Think about techniques and your style

How you attack or defend yourself, which stances you use, in which kind you counterattack is all up to you. You can go by a specific fightstyle or you do what you like and you can mix that. There is no limit on how much you can learn only on how fast. So it might be sometimes better to stay with one thing for a while.
Attached Images
012.jpg (86.8 KB, 13 views)
013.jpg (89.8 KB, 11 views)
Last edited by WorldEater; Oct 28, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
Originally Posted by reosuke View Post
I just want to give you an idea, im no good teacher.

If you're no good teacher why are you trying to teach us one of the hardest things in TB?

You just have to start a Game with -30 Gravity and get into different Positions.

More or less.

Its like: Starting to move, slow it down, get into position and stay for a few frames. Then get back into an upright position and repeat.

Uh... No?

Example is Aikido.tbm

Aikido? What? You know there's a mod for this right? It's called xspar.tbm

Look at how other people are playing. If you lost an match and have to wait dont switch to youtube or your anime or whatever is in the backround.
Just listen to some music relaxe and analyise what is happening. You dont have to understand it. You will automaticly. After some time.

Ok this isn't complete BS but it's pretty close.

What i did there is your second lesson today. Ive looked for a guy i felt comfortable playing with and asked him if he wanted to do some basic training with me.
I opened aikido.tbm, changed dojosize to very big. I just moved him at the beginning and he kinda absorbed it and just stayed on his feet.
The more we played the more serious it did get. We made fun and did shit. This is what sparring truly is. Not trying to do something cool. Just doing something mindlessly (in this case grappling) untill your good enough to make it look cool.

Sparring has been around for the past 6 or so years and you're now trying to change what it is to... This? Also, again, why aikido?

Thats what i most hate about only sparring players. They want to tell me how i should attack them? Fuck off, learn to read what im doing, its not like i try to pretend something and get every hit in i can.

Sparring is a collaboration between two players to create something. Communication is important for timing the moves. It's very obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about here because it's okay if not highly recommended to suggest to the other player during a spar of how to go about kicking or punching you. If you want some "reading", go MAS. In a spar, you're not trying to get as many hits possible. It's supposed to be an exchange of nice hits that great something amazing at the end.

At this point you should be able to move yourself freely (not perfectly but at least in the direction you want to go) and you should be able to move your opponent how you want to.

Not if they've been listening to you, they won't.

This is complete and utter BS and it should be taken down before new players come along and start thinking this is sparring.
Climbing like you've never seen before (parody of xlr84life's thread):
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...44#post9187844
Im not trying to teach you how to spar, i couldnt.

The biggest problem here is that i have a totaly different opinion about what a sparring should be. I know you guys have put a lot time into your Choreographic replays. And i dont want to say what you are doing is BS.

New players should think that what i told them is sparring, because it is.

Now its your turn as the senior community to get in touch with beginners again and lead them. If you dont want them to listen to me.

I dont want your Spars to dissapear. I had a lot funn doing it too. But its time for some changes. Because toribash was dead when i started.
Except of your elite Sparring, tricking community.

But the fighting Community was one big fat troll who tried to lift you into the stratosphere.
Please, whatever you're doing. Rename it to something that's not sparring. Because it's not. It's just your pathetic attempt to not flop on the ground. You can't teach someone if you don't know what the hell you're doing.
Knock down da walls wiv big rocks and kill all the men wiv arras. - Lamby
okay, lemme clear some stuff up because i think we're getting a little too heated over this. first off Rune is right. "Sparring is a collaboration between two players to create something. Communication is important for timing the moves."
That is the literal definition of traditional sparring (In toribash), and that definition has barely changed throughout the 6 or so years it's been around. why try to change something that doesn't need changing?

second off, although i... am amused by your attempt to create something new, please don't label it as sparring, because it isn't. i would be happy to call this something new, but sparring has stayed the same for years, and it has RULES. the kind of fighting you're doing doesn't have that.

as for sparring, you're trying to teach something you don't have a firm grasp of yet. try teaching movement and controlling your tori, but don't act like you're a professional at this game. i've watched your videos, and you clearly don't have the skill to call yourself a pro. you videos are full of cockiness and snide remarks towards the traditional sparring community, and i'm really not liking that.
"if you can't even watch this video until the end, toribash is the wrong game for you"
what? why would i want to watch a 30 minute video of someone explaining via TEXT how to play the game, when i can play the game? i love this game to death, but i couldn't sit through the 30 minutes of your video.

also, what's this about sparring not being about trying to making something look cool? sparring is a replay making sport, you're literally diving into the "hey, i wanna make this look cool" category. the whole point of sparring is to think and plan out your moves. sparring irl and sparring in toribash are two very different things. don't try to change that, because you'll get so much hate shoved up your backside, you'll look like an overstuffed turkey at thanksgiving. besides the fact, even sparring in real life isnt just "moving mindlessly". you still have to know how to block and kick and stay on your edge. that requires a thought process, which you don't seem to understand unfortunately.

as for the picture of all those aikido rooms, while i'm glad you think you're the cause of all this, you realize that aikido is the most popular sport on tb... right? you had maybe 5% to do with those rooms.

to finish this all up and to clear up some points, this is NOT sparring. this is something new that can be worked and evolved upon, but it's not sparring. second off, don't act so cocky about stuff. "forth dimensional being" my ass. you'll get much better feedback by suggesting things, instead of forcing them down others throats.

lastly, new players should think whatever the fuck they want to think, because this is a game where people can create whatever the hell they feel like. the fighting community was not "one big troll" who lifted us skyward. the fighting community saw new potential, and expanded upon that potential. no, it is YOUR duty, as a new member of toribash, to expand upon your idea without interfering with an age old sport.
Last edited by Karbn; Aug 3, 2017 at 04:01 PM.
hi i'm karbn and i eat ass; love the market overlord
"lastly, new players should think whatever the fuck they want to think, because this is a game where people can create whatever the hell they feel like."

This is exactly what im doing here. And yes im a fourthdimensional god playing Toribash.

BTW if your not willing to offer half an hour for something that might bring you a lot of fun or improvment.
Then yes a lot of things are not made for you.
Last edited by reosuke; Aug 3, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Originally Posted by reosuke View Post
"lastly, new players should think whatever the fuck they want to think, because this is a game where people can create whatever the hell they feel like."

This is exactly what im doing here. And yes im a fourthdimensional god playing Toribash.

BTW if you're not willing to offer half an hour for something that might bring you a lot of fun or improvment.
Then yes a lot of things are not made for you.

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding your side of the argument here. Can you explain further?

You say that new players should think this is sparring, as if you don't give them a choice to think anything else. But when faced with your own statement, you contradict yourself and say that players don't HAVE to think this is sparring and they can do whatever they want.

I am completely willing to spend a half hour or more learning to improve my skills, but I just don't find sitting and watching a half hour video of someone else playing a game(and calling it teaching others) fun. I would much rather get into the game itself, and find someone to help me out, or as you said in your videos and in your original paragraph, "finding someone you're comfortable with and practicing with them". I like this suggestion much better than sitting though a half hour video doing nothing. There are many many many better videos that explain exactly how to move your Tori in less time than yours does. those videos still get their point across

Now, I'm not surprised you skipped over every good part of my argument, so I'll state it again. I'm not against labeling what you're thinking of as a new form of sparring, or a new way of learning. But to completely erase sparring and try to warp the traditional sparring many of us know and love into.... This.... Is preposterous. It simply won't happen. I'd love to see a new sport or form come into play, and honestly I think that you're talking about a new form of competitive sparring. (which already exists btw)

Just try rewording your sentances in your original paragraph, and talk like it's something new. You'll get a much better response
Last edited by Karbn; Aug 3, 2017 at 04:01 PM.
hi i'm karbn and i eat ass; love the market overlord
I didnt reffered to to other players at this moment. I´ve meant that im just doing what i want to.

People should at least think by themself about what sparring is.
In my opinion they should think like me but i can just give them a choice, they have to decide.

In my eyes you took just the name of this beautifull thing thats around here since people learned how to swing their fists.
And tried to do some Tv action movie.

I can just repeat it Sparring is a tactical game where you work with positioning and try to dominate your opponent without hurting him. There is no need for talking. If one fails, he falls. Doesnt matter if it is grab or no grab. (I used Aikido because it is easy to learn btw).
When both do it right: One blocks, dodges, the other one is doing an attack. One attack, then rebalance or counter and repeat, without breaks or waiting. Target is to get your opponent off balance or get some weak hits in.

sound a bit like what you are doing except that it is instinctivly. Also you dont try to win. Just like you i want to make a good replay and try the best moves i can. But its also a little competition. You can only show off if you are able to actually use it.

You dont plan. Most of the time you will think how the fuck did it come to this? And you will remember. You will learn to predict what your opponent is up to. Because if you dont, youll get hit.

As the attacker its a lot about timing and seeing the counter attack. Or predicting a dodge.

To my watch the Video thing: Have you actually looked into it? If yes you should have noticed that its a pretty simple gameplay. I just moved what i needed to move, not more not less.

Sometime seeing something and beeing able to judge completly neutral about it helps to see things you wouldnt be able to see normaly.
Every gameplay material is ok, i watched a lot ConCon and replays from the froum.

And what a lot people seem to missunderstand. I dont want to kill your kind of sparring, tbh i dont care whats happening with it. I have nothing to do with it.

What im trying the most is to show people that they have to try out things, get out of their shell, discuss and play with people. You cant learn from just reading something or watching or hearing. You have to do something.

I dont know if it is just me but when someone tries to teach me something it just dont works. I have to do it then i will never forget it anymore.

Im no teacher. Im an asshole who shows people how he learned this game. End of the story.

Edit: Why do you think people are listening to me? Because your community is one big dissapointment for most Blackbelts out their. I might be naricistic to get some attention. But a lot of you guys act like THIS when it comes to contact with "newbs". I think im a god. At least i dont care what you are thinking about me and say it. We are pretty much the same.
Last edited by reosuke; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM.
"Im no teacher. Im an asshole who shows people how he learned this game. End of the story."

PREACH.

Also you're taking TB wayyy too seriously for a game and its mechanics and you do realize that there's limitations to how someone can react right? Any nice dodge you see in a replay is made collaboratively, it's incredibly hard to properly dodge otherwise without looking like shit. I'm sure your style of playing could work at some point if both players were good enough (say BinkLawz vs Flash) but none of us are on that level of sparring yet so IMO this is a rubbish tutorial and since you've stopped listening (or were you ever?) to our arguments, I'm done here. It's in black and white etc etc

GOOD DAY SIR.

Last edited by MagnusSol; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM.
Climbing like you've never seen before (parody of xlr84life's thread):
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...44#post9187844