ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
it seems that youre talking about like "the next level texturing" but im not seeing so much in the way of next level thinking, in how youre doing it.
youre basically talking about, taking a resource and turning it into a texture. people like vermine have been doing that for ages.
what we want to be doing, is talking about taking a resource/concept, breaking it down, and seeing how it could be done in all the different styles and genres.
one concept, done into tribal, robotic, realism, cartoon, etc... all different sets.
or taking one concept and combining styles, to come up with something new. tribal realist, or cartoon robotic or whatever.

il go resource hunting again and post later

I feel differently. I think that what we're trying to do here is just think something up and work from there. When I post resources I tend for them to be more inspirational as opposed to "look what this is, let's copy it" and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that this set will be basically a realistic set with pen tooling to accentuate any deep characteristics. Not because that's what I want, that's just how I feel it will end up given the people who will be working on it. I feel that by breaking down textures to what people are good at we should get a relatively new style that isn't completely random for every different piece.

Something I've been wanting to do lately is make a set to incorporate the forces/relaxes that you have automatically and the fact that they change color depending on which position you're in. I experimented with octopuses and such but the mapping on the top of the head fucked me up.

If we could find something that looked good in both colors without altering the actual textures I feel that we could achieve something new and exciting.

For some reason I'm leaning towards the idea of making food into a set too.
BTW for ideas, I'd like to point out that a lot of things that look cool as art can't really be put into texture form. At least, not easily at all.

Take the stuff on page 2 for example. Most of them are well shaded, yes, but there isn't anything too special for their actual skin. What makes them really cool to me is their design. Unfortunately, we're gonna be limited by the shape of the tori.

I've always found already humanoid stuff to work best.

As for the force/lax thing....A lot of people work with two tones for that reason, although you REALLY only need to work with forces, since that's what shows in replays anyway. And even if it's not in two or more tones, a guy could just use void/demon/plat lax and it'd all be good too!

IMO, if we do organic, it shouldn't be alien, but more like an earthly monster. But then we'd be stuck on what to do for the body, since all the interesting details would be in the face.

Armor is so much easier >_<
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
BTW for ideas, I'd like to point out that a lot of things that look cool as art can't really be put into texture form. At least, not easily at all.

Take the stuff on page 2 for example. Most of them are well shaded, yes, but there isn't anything too special for their actual skin. What makes them really cool to me is their design. Unfortunately, we're gonna be limited by the shape of the tori.

The textures in of the pieces on page 2 would look great in Toribash...

Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
IMO, if we do organic, it shouldn't be alien, but more like an earthly monster. But then we'd be stuck on what to do for the body, since all the interesting details would be in the face.

Armor is so much easier >_<

I didn't call it a challenge for nothing :P
*gets out the thread defibrillator*
what about stuff like an enraged animals or mutant things for example...

this intensely gore n boob filled manga about the monkey king would be a swish set.

Although it is still a bipedaly character... not much of a jump from the regular I guess.
[GATA Elite #2][PigeonHive]Ldr's
-=[Shop]=-
To keep this from dieing I've made a decision to just go with a tree of some sort.

I've added positions to the first post which need filling. Please read the first post and reply here saying if you'd like to help and if so, what you would like to assist with.

Thanks.
I'd like to help, and with that, the shading. If you've saw me previous work you know i am pretty good with shading.

Tools of the trade:
Gimp, air brush with modified settings.
Burn/dodge tool.
Smudge tool.
Eraser.
Paint brush.
Some filters.

I use all that for shading, still working out some kinks in that combo, but it works find for me.
Aka jusmi.
*hates GIMP*

Can you show me some of your best shading? I've seen some of your heads but nothing really heavy on shading and such.
Don't forget if you need some artists i'd like to help.
you already have some great artists in here but it's a colective work or what is it called.
Oh gimp isn't bad if you know how to use it.