Toribash
Original Post
IRC etiquette and a statement on hate speech.
IRC standards have been updated. The guidelines are as follows:
Originally Posted by IRC Rules & Guidelines
These rules apply to channels that are seen as public and official by Toribash administration. Currently those channels are: #toribash & #support.

• No flaming or harassment.
  • No NSFW links.
  • No warez.
  • No spam.
  • No racial slurs.
  • No DDoS'ing, phishing or anything of that nature.

Notes:

• Staff may not be able to handle your requests immediately, please submit any troubles you may have through the forum as it is more likely to be seen & dealt with there.
  • Complaints about staff and/or ban appeals are to be held in query or their respective boards only.
  • Any questions about the rules can be discussed with any staff in the channel, if you wish to discuss the rules publicly feel free to make a discussion thread or bring it to attention of the staff via. PM.
  • Admins, SMods and GMs currently have &, @ and % respectively for ease of identification. Any non-staff that may help you are likely to sport a +, so contact who is most likely able to help you. Due to MSquad affairs being handleable only through the scam reports board you are asked to go there directly with your issues or query the member you need to contact.

Regarding homophobic/racial slurs and their usage in public space, here is the current ruleset:
Originally Posted by Homophobic/racial slurs ruling
Any homophobic or racial slurs are not allowed in what the staff has defined as "public space" under any circumstances. "Public space" is currently defined as:

• The entirety of the forums, excluding clan boards
  • IRC channels #toribash and #support
  • Ingame, official servers and any globally broadcast server (for as long as people are able to join that server based on the broadcast info - these servers will be considered private if you change the room name and notify the room)

Using slurs in any of those places allows a moderator to infract or ban you at his or her discretion. Staff justify this kind of policing of servers as they believe removing slurs from the vocabulary of officially endorsed Toribash Community mediums is a small price to pay for a more cohesive community experience. It is worth noting that any private channels (i.e: private IRC channels, clan boards, private servers in-game) are not actively policed and so you are generally free to do as you want there regarding the language you use, though be aware reports will be looked at on a case by case basis. For example, repeatedly insulting someone in your clan board will most likely result in staff intervention.

Users should try to handle these sorts of issues amongst themselves before escalating to staff intervention. We don't want to have to step in for every single case, so please ask people to stop (And document it!) before reporting to us.

This has been edited into our FAQs and Beginner's Sanctuary's introduction thread to the rules. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Gynx; Oct 17, 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: formatting
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
As always nice to talk to you lmao

EDIT: Not being obtuse, just amused that you want to argue such an obvious strawman. There was obviously a communication problem mate! (even if you guys /were/ high at the time, you guys still made it out to be a 0 tolerance policy!)
-----
Clarification required, is this new section: "Users should try to handle these sorts of issues amongst themselves before escalating to staff intervention. We don't want to have to step in for every single case, so please ask people to stop (And document it!) before reporting to us." supposed to ONLY apply to private?

To what you first said, can you stop being such a dick and instead of arguing, maybe have a civilized discussion. You're on the internet, that doesn't mean you lose all your manners, either.
To what you said second, that doesn't just apply to private, it applies to it all. If someone said one odd racial slur, that doesn't mean it's automatically a report in an open server.
Originally Posted by iPortal View Post
To what you first said, can you stop being such a dick and instead of arguing, maybe have a civilized discussion. You're on the internet, that doesn't mean you lose all your manners, either.
To what you said second, that doesn't just apply to private, it applies to it all. If someone said one odd racial slur, that doesn't mean it's automatically a report in an open server.

I was literally replying to Gynx saying "Yep, none of what you said is actually worth responding to at all. Thanks for posting."

It's not the first time he's said shit like that, so I think my response is more than appropriate.

I'm waiting for a staff clarification on the last part, because an smod told me otherwise. The rule as it currently reads definitely looks like it applies to all.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I agree, I'd really like clarification on

"Users should try to handle these sorts of issues amongst themselves before escalating to staff intervention. We don't want to have to step in for every single case, so please ask people to stop (And document it!) before reporting to us." supposed to ONLY apply to private??

as well.

There's been a lot of unknowns with the rules recently discussed here... hope that doesn't end up continuing to be a problem with any new rules implemented.
If you can resolve a situation without moderator input, it's generally preferable. This is true for both public and private spaces. If it turns out that moderator intervention is required, it would be appreciated if by that point evidence already exists that people had asked the offender to stop.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
You guys maybe need to do a better job of making sure your staff know wtf is going on with these rule changes... Some didn't know these rules, some had misunderstandings, etc.

Well, we have clarification now, but still that's only assuming they read this thread and that they believe it...
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
You guys maybe need to do a better job of making sure your staff know wtf is going on with these rule changes... Some didn't know these rules, some had misunderstandings, etc.

Well, we have clarification now, but still that's only assuming they read this thread and that they believe it...

That's entirely our responsibility. Moving forward we will make our own staff well aware of our distinctions on this rule, and if we make a mistake and infract someone wrongly, simply make a complaint and I'm sure if it's appropriate the infraction will be reversed and the situation can be explained to our staff.

We're doing our best, thanks for the patience.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!