Toribash
Original Post
144hz Monitors, Trying to find one to buy
So I'm looking to buy a 144hz monitor somewhere around $350 or less. I would prefer monitors under $300 though.

I've been looking around and I've found two that I'm really considering.
I would like opinions on these two, and also if you have other suggestions of other monitors please let me know.

Acer XF240H 24", 144hz
  • 1920x1080
  • TN Panel
  • 144hz
  • 1ms GTG
  • $250

or

MSI Optix G27C Curved 27", 144hz
  • 1920x1080
  • VA Panel
  • 144hz
  • 4ms GTG
  • $280

Would 3-7 ms GTG difference really affect gameplay/blurriness of objects moving across the screen or?
I've only ever experienced playing on 5ms monitors or higher
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SmallBowl] [fallu] [Moop] [Parrot] [SkulFuk] [Icky] [Sassy]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
Acer. Cheaper and higher refresh rate.
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Acer. Cheaper and higher refresh rate.

"higher refresher rate"
what?
they're both 144hz refresh rate

Differences are response time, monitor size, panel type (so how the color is displayed), and design as one is curved and one isn't
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Need help with any market related questions? Feel free to PM ME. <Powas> I've got a degree in 1001 techniques of masturbation
I doubt the response time would bother your that much unless you're hardcore into esports. I'd go for the msi one as it looks way better and I've heard curved monitors really enhance the experience.
|Opener by Xioi|#KillTheScootCork|
|Replays|
"Cool delfin med solglajjor" -Larfen
IMO neither. Curved screens are gimmicky crap, however sadly it's the far better screen out of the two.

The Acre has a terrible viewing angle, wasn't so much of an issue for me since mine's sat on a swing arm, but if it was still on it's stand then URGH.
URGH.
Don't touch their TN screens with a stick (also applies to their LED monitors which have equally bad viewing angles). Unless like me you needed a replacement monitor and had your back against the wall time wise. -_-

Oh, and a response time of 6ms or lower is all you need for 144hz panels to avoid ghosting issues.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I got this monitor for Christmas, and it's amazing (same price as the ones above). I haven't had any problems so far with it, the only thing you need is a dual DVI cable (which comes with the monitor) and the ability to run games above 60fps.

Also, in CSGO (any game, really) there is an insane amount of difference between a 60hz and a 144hz monitor, and you can feel it.
Yea, I know there is a difference in between 60hz and 144hz monitors. I'm asking whether or not 1ms response GTG is really that much different than 4ms-8ms GTG when it comes into gaming.

The GTG response time if too high would create blurred/ghosted imagery when playing fast paced games. I haven't really experienced a 1ms GTG myself, so I'm unaware if there really is a noticable difference in that aspect of seeing things "less blurry"

As Skulfuk stated, "Oh, and a response time of 6ms or lower is all you need for 144hz panels to avoid ghosting issues"

I'm assuming with a 60hz panel you'd want something lower than the 6ms reponse time.

I think though I've really used TN panels my whole life, but I've seen IPS panels and the color is way more vivid, etc. I feel like this sometimes affects my gameplay seeing as for example in CSGO, I can't always make out the color difference between certain boxes/walls and the actual player models. Is there a TN panel that has pretty decent color/contrast or are they all shit? Obviously no TN panel is going to compare to an IPS but \o/

I do really like the design of the MSI optix monitor, I'm not all into "OMGOMGOMG curved screen is the best" but it does look kinda nice, I'll give it that. My main concern is the response time. As it states it's 4ms gtg, but I also see that on a certain picture it has another "response time" that says, 8ms typical. So I'm concerned if that will cause any ghosting/blurring of image.

@royal, I've also considered that monitor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]
Originally Posted by DruggedPanda View Post
Yea, I know there is a difference in between 60hz and 144hz monitors. I'm asking whether or not 1ms response GTG is really that much different than 4ms-8ms GTG when it comes into gaming.

Unless you're a pro CS:GO player, 1ms response time won't mean anything. In fact, anything under 8ms is going to be good. Either one will work for your purposes perfectly fine.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Originally Posted by hawkesnightmare View Post
Unless you're a pro CS:GO player, 1ms response time won't mean anything. In fact, anything under 8ms is going to be good. Either one will work for your purposes perfectly fine.

So you're stating that it does actually make a slight difference?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[Ex-MSquad]