people playing: 180, servers online: 58, games played: 135,879,590 Top Player: Shmevin

  Toribash Community » General » Discussion
Register FAQ General Rules Community
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 14, 2017   #11
MagnusSol
Member
 
Blue Belt
Join Date: Aug 2013



Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
Would you say that corruption among staff is killing the game? In what way would you say that the staff was corrupt and where is corruption most notable in its effect on players?

In every system with a small number of staff where staff are picked by staff the feeling of corruption will be felt whether its there or not. The reason is, staff pick people they think are best for the job - how do you know who is best for the job? >By knowing what the person is like and what their personality is. The people whose personality you can judge best are the people you know best - and so the people you know best have more chance of getting the position because you can judge that persons suitability to the staff position.
Its the same reason that white belts are unlikely to get staff, noone knows what the person is like - least of all the people accepting or denying the application of the staff member

Fair point to that Small. Very fair point and I can clearly see the reasoning behind that. Now I'd rather not go in to too much of a "this happened to me, look how unfair life is" but examples are necessary. So once again, whilst I was [Aeon] some years back I got acquainted to hosting events and such because of people like Abyss and through that I met JtanK and became decent friends with him (at this point he was only a GM). He'd give me tips and tricks for hosting a good tourney and because I wasn't GM I supplied my own prizes but even so, I hosted every couple of days until I was easily 20-30 players per tourney and people recognized me as a hoster. Obviously I was doing this to work towards GM and my clan supported me 100%. After a few weeks of this (I carefully noted the dates/times/prizes/winners in notepad with screenshots for validity) and during the GM recruitment drive, I send in an app that I myself was quite proud of and saw no reason as to why I should be rejected. But I was and when the recruitment drive was finished and people were notified who had become a Trial GM all I noted were that those recruited were people I'd seen hanging around GM's talking and shit and I'd never seen one host a tourney or an event. Ever. Of course I felt cheated. I'd put in hours and hours towards this goal and eventually I got past my resentment and moved on with my life.

TLDR; Small I believe you are right about them choosing friends but I'm not entirely sure it has to be with ability as well. Although I was friends with Abyss and JtanK, staff have never been very friendly with me and even if I had the skill, their hatred was what made the decision (I'm sure there was some reason for that but I can't quite remember). (Looks at Arctic who permad my two mains for myself account sharing with myself. What).
Arctic Moderated Message:
this is not true at all and you know it.


I'm not sure whether or not corruption among staff is killing the game but I am sure it's becoming a less friendly place than what it used to be like. I remember when I was coming back to the game in 2012 after a one year break and having Erth (god bless him) take time out of his day to hang out with me and help me learn tk and offered administrative help when one of my clan leaders invited all of our members as leaders. Good times. Once upon a time this community was just tons of players being friendly and respectful to one another but now most of us are split into clans and our friendship only extends so far.

On another note as well: Toribash does not lack new players. There's constantly new players but none of them stay. Or very few. I believe this has something to do with what I was talking about. People used to be a lot more keen to helping others and learning with them. Nowadays it's everyone for themselves. All I'm hoping is that TBN somehow fixes this but I have no idea how.

Any thoughts?
Climbing like you've never seen before (parody of xlr84life's thread):
http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...44#post9187844

Last edited by Arctic; Aug 26, 2017 at 01:10 AM..
MagnusSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017   #12
+Flame
 
dont lack Belt
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,395
Server: tourney2



i think the biggest change was removing gms (well atleast for me since i joined the game(
they were not only event squad and shit they had other duties aswell. event squad is kinda like u know . meh

for me gms were like the people i looked up to .


Hope|Charm|Catalyst|Veoo


Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017   #13
•SmallBowl
Better than Viddah
 
10th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,333
Clan: Parrot



Originally Posted by MagnusSol View Post
Fair point to that Small. Very fair point and I can clearly see the reasoning behind that. Now I'd rather not go in to too much of a "this happened to me, look how unfair life is" but examples are necessary. So once again, whilst I was [Aeon] some years back I got acquainted to hosting events and such because of people like Abyss and through that I met JtanK and became decent friends with him (at this point he was only a GM). He'd give me tips and tricks for hosting a good tourney and because I wasn't GM I supplied my own prizes but even so, I hosted every couple of days until I was easily 20-30 players per tourney and people recognized me as a hoster. Obviously I was doing this to work towards GM and my clan supported me 100%. After a few weeks of this (I carefully noted the dates/times/prizes/winners in notepad with screenshots for validity) and during the GM recruitment drive, I send in an app that I myself was quite proud of and saw no reason as to why I should be rejected. But I was and when the recruitment drive was finished and people were notified who had become a Trial GM all I noted were that those recruited were people I'd seen hanging around GM's talking and shit and I'd never seen one host a tourney or an event. Ever. Of course I felt cheated. I'd put in hours and hours towards this goal and eventually I got past my resentment and moved on with my life.

TLDR; Small I believe you are right about them choosing friends but I'm not entirely sure it has to be with ability as well. Although I was friends with Abyss and JtanK, staff have never been very friendly with me and even if I had the skill, their hatred was what made the decision (I'm sure there was some reason for that but I can't quite remember). (Looks at Arctic who permad my two mains for myself account sharing with myself. What).

I'm not sure whether or not corruption among staff is killing the game but I am sure it's becoming a less friendly place than what it used to be like. I remember when I was coming back to the game in 2012 after a one year break and having Erth (god bless him) take time out of his day to hang out with me and help me learn tk and offered administrative help when one of my clan leaders invited all of our members as leaders. Good times. Once upon a time this community was just tons of players being friendly and respectful to one another but now most of us are split into clans and our friendship only extends so far.

On another note as well: Toribash does not lack new players. There's constantly new players but none of them stay. Or very few. I believe this has something to do with what I was talking about. People used to be a lot more keen to helping others and learning with them. Nowadays it's everyone for themselves. All I'm hoping is that TBN somehow fixes this but I have no idea how.

Any thoughts?

Now I cant personally make any comments on your personality either now or in the past because I havent spoken to you much and I dont know it (just like I dont know your case or app), also this is more of a general statement than about your case. But its easier to teach someone with a fun a welcoming personality to host than it is to teach someone who knows how to host to have a fun and welcoming personality. Also a lot of people get into ES/GM after a lot of attempts Id say maybe 50% of ES members have applied more than once

Similar thing with your ban, I dont know the case - but arctic wouldnt ban you if he though you were innocent and he unbanned you afterwards it seems because you were innocent, he has nothing to gain from your ban. This is the case with most staff members, theyre only human and bound to make mistakes and sometimes its impossible to communicate your thoughts to the community clearly these things sometimes look suspicious to people who arent in the same thinking loop. Now of course this isnt always the case, sometimes something corrupt and suspicious is going on but its pretty rare and its a big scene when it happens (Stellar).

Erth is a big miss but Im not sure the community in general has changed that much. People tend to look at the past (especially at things that were once new) through rose tinted lenses so they seem better than they really are, I imagine in 2014 when I joined there were loads of people complaining about similar things to now in this community back then. Does this mean things are great now? Nah they could be way better, but other than activity I dont really think theyre worse.

I completely agree with your point about player retention, but thats absolutely in the mind of the devs and staff at the moment - all the new features and rule amendments etc have this in mind. For example the market squad recently did some work to condense and simplify all their rules this is so its not a wall of text to read and its less daunting to new players. There is still a lot of work to be done there but its a lot better than it was.

Originally Posted by Flame View Post
i think the biggest change was removing gms (well atleast for me since i joined the game(
they were not only event squad and shit they had other duties aswell. event squad is kinda like u know . meh

for me gms were like the people i looked up to .

In addition to the ES job the GMs were supposed to server sit (the old job of tori-agents; sitting in beginner servers helping them out and offering a helping hand). This was really hard to keep track of and very rarely done.

GMs also handled general reports once upon a time, but when that moved to an smod job people still saw GMs as moderators rather than an event team. Erth was the lead at the time and decided it was confusing, especially to beginners, and that a name change was needed to clarify "what we do".
[11:49.10] <Scorp> i wish they would ban the chinese
Please note, this quote was not taken out of context
SmallBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017   #14
DesiTwist
Junior Member
 
4th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 626
Clan: Evolution



I feel like the actual game itself has never changed but everything else has

back then it was all about who was the best fighter now its all about silly aesthetics. Paying for celshading? Really?
.
DesiTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2017   #15
GoodBox
Senior Member
 
5th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 622



Probably not in a position to comment but...

Nobody makes good sets anymore. People just make heads.
(>^_^)>

Last edited by GoodBox; Aug 15, 2017 at 08:55 AM..
GoodBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2017   #16
Sthip
Member
 
2nd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 109



Originally Posted by GoodBox View Post
Probably not in a position to comment but...

Nobody makes good sets anymore. People just make heads.

http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=558837
Its usually not worth the time if you want to make high quality sets for the sake of selling them
But yeah we are lacking good new sets

Last edited by Sthip; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM..
Sthip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2017   #17
Akkilles
Member
 
Blue Belt
Join Date: Jun 2016



To sum it all up.
The moderation is trash. If I had to pick between unemployed adult moderators back in 2006 and edgy teenager moderators in 2017 I'd go for the 2006

SmallBowl Moderated Message:
Don't post like this guys. Add something to the discussion if youre going to post
"No one will remember your name"

Last edited by Akkilles; Aug 15, 2017 at 06:02 PM..
Akkilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2017   #18
m27l115
Junior Member
 
Green Belt
Join Date: Feb 2016



The game seriously needs some revamps.

One is the market place. When new players come to play this game and are immediately blasted with skins that they have to pay money to get, it turns them off because you know, no one likes to pay for shit in a game.

Second is more marketing. I come back occasionally because i get nostaliga, and not because i see cool videos. Whoever develops this game should really work hard if they want to be succesful.
m27l115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017   #19
Belongs
Junior Member
 
White Belt
Join Date: Aug 2017



Originally Posted by MagnusSol View Post
Fair point to that Small. Very fair point and I can clearly see the reasoning behind that. Now I'd rather not go in to too much of a "this happened to me, look how unfair life is" but examples are necessary. So once again, whilst I was [Aeon] some years back I got acquainted to hosting events and such because of people like Abyss and through that I met JtanK and became decent friends with him (at this point he was only a GM). He'd give me tips and tricks for hosting a good tourney and because I wasn't GM I supplied my own prizes but even so, I hosted every couple of days until I was easily 20-30 players per tourney and people recognized me as a hoster. Obviously I was doing this to work towards GM and my clan supported me 100%. After a few weeks of this (I carefully noted the dates/times/prizes/winners in notepad with screenshots for validity) and during the GM recruitment drive, I send in an app that I myself was quite proud of and saw no reason as to why I should be rejected. But I was and when the recruitment drive was finished and people were notified who had become a Trial GM all I noted were that those recruited were people I'd seen hanging around GM's talking and shit and I'd never seen one host a tourney or an event. Ever. Of course I felt cheated. I'd put in hours and hours towards this goal and eventually I got past my resentment and moved on with my life.

TLDR; Small I believe you are right about them choosing friends but I'm not entirely sure it has to be with ability as well. Although I was friends with Abyss and JtanK, staff have never been very friendly with me and even if I had the skill, their hatred was what made the decision (I'm sure there was some reason for that but I can't quite remember). (Looks at Arctic who permad my two mains for myself account sharing with myself. What).
Arctic Moderated Message:
this is not true at all and you know it.


I'm not sure whether or not corruption among staff is killing the game but I am sure it's becoming a less friendly place than what it used to be like. I remember when I was coming back to the game in 2012 after a one year break and having Erth (god bless him) take time out of his day to hang out with me and help me learn tk and offered administrative help when one of my clan leaders invited all of our members as leaders. Good times. Once upon a time this community was just tons of players being friendly and respectful to one another but now most of us are split into clans and our friendship only extends so far.

On another note as well: Toribash does not lack new players. There's constantly new players but none of them stay. Or very few. I believe this has something to do with what I was talking about. People used to be a lot more keen to helping others and learning with them. Nowadays it's everyone for themselves. All I'm hoping is that TBN somehow fixes this but I have no idea how.

Any thoughts?

This guy gets it 100%.
Belongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2017   #20
•SmallBowl
Better than Viddah
 
10th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,333
Clan: Parrot



Originally Posted by Belongs View Post
This guy gets it 100%.

Can you add anything to his point? Are there parts in particular you would like to highlight and add examples to?
[11:49.10] <Scorp> i wish they would ban the chinese
Please note, this quote was not taken out of context
SmallBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:56 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ragdoll fighting game physics fighting game ragdoll fighting physics funmotion joints martial arts karate pc mac free game turn based game