Ranking
Originally Posted by illv View Post
Studies can only be consistent up to a certain degree and studies can only account for behavior that's common to the behavior of every kid. What kind of perspective does a doctor or researcher have on a kid that's miles away and living under certain conditions that he/she has no experience being in?

I doubt that any person can gain an insight deep enough to truly make an effective study that would apply to every child. I'm not invalidating any research that you guys might refer to. I'm just saying that it will never be enough and no amount studies will compare to the first hand knowledge and personal involvement of a decent parent.

Unfortunately a 'parent' is not a professional qualification, and unless these parents are have at least 2 kids and somehow mange to perform a double-blind trial then there's no way to tell if beating the kids actually did have a positive effect.

Correlation does not imply causation, which is at best what a parent can observe. A parent does not have the experience, knowledge or training to be able to make an informed decision.
^ I feel that you need to acknowledge the importance of variables such as affection and the relationship of a decent parent to his or her child and the deeper purpose of discipline that goes well beyond the boundaries of obedience.

Do you actually know a responsible and wise adult that grew up under these strictly clinical and scientific methods that you can personally vouch for? Maybe we'll just have to agree that we just don't have a common ground to stand on in regards to this subject if you can't provide that much to move my opinion.
Last edited by illv; Aug 11, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
^ I feel that you need to acknowledge the importance of variables such as affection and the relationship of a decent parent to his or her child and the deeper purpose of discipline that goes well beyond the boundaries of obedience.

If you are claiming it's unstudiable and can only be known by a true parent, then I disagree completely.
Do you actually know a responsible and wise adult that grew up under these strictly clinical and scientific methods that you can personally vouch for? Maybe we'll just have to agree that we just don't have a common ground to stand on in regards to this subject if you can't provide that much to move my opinion.

I think you are very confused as to what a study is.

You do realize they don't take a bunch of kids and raise them in laboratories right? Studies are just anecdotes on a macro scale.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
If you are claiming it's unstudiable and can only be known by a true parent, then I disagree completely.

How so? What kind of insight do you have on this?
Are you a parent and have you studied children yourself? or are all your answers based on some body of work that you found on the net?

I'm really interested in hearing your answer.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post

I think you are very confused as to what a study is.

You do realize they don't take a bunch of kids and raise them in laboratories right? Studies are just anecdotes on a macro scale.

Oh i do. I'm just putting a bit of emphasis on how coldly lined your comment was when you said that :

Correlation does not imply causation, which is at best what a parent can observe. A parent does not have the experience, knowledge or training to be able to make an informed decision.

It really gave a cold impression to me.

No need to feel derailed.

What's you're reason for standing by your side of the argument anyway? Do you have any actual experience with these things?

I'll come back to this tomorrow. Provide what you can.
Last edited by illv; Aug 11, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I don't agree, every article I read says it needs to be consistent. So if your child calls you a fuckface 5 times in 1 week, and you swatted him on the first one then you should every time. I also agree that the degree of punishment should fit the crime. Can't swat your kid for every little thing of course.

Oh yes, yes. Certainly. But if your child calls you a fuckface 5 times a week, there IS a problem. You should take actions and not just keep slacking off and just hitting it in the face. Yes, you need to be consistent. The fault was on my part on that, I needed to be more clear. But yea, I agree with you.
f=m*a syens
How so? What kind of insight do you have on this?
Are you a parent and have you studied children yourself? or are all your answers based on some body of work that you found on the net?

I'm really interested in hearing your answer.

Oh i do. I'm just putting a bit of emphasis on how coldly lined your comment was when you said that :

It really gave a cold impression to me.

No need to feel derailed.

What's you're reason for standing by your side of the argument anyway? Do you have any actual experience with these things?

I'll come back to this tomorrow. Provide what you can.

Quite honestly, you sound mad that somebody doesn't instantly agree with you. You present nothing to support your argument, and your only counter-argument has been "you aren't an expert, what do you know? Now listen to what I say because I'm clearly an expert."

In fact, the only thing you've said to support your argument was by saying, in a nutshell, "I don't believe in the scientific method because it's too calloused, therefore it's unreliable. So therefore, studies about children serve no purpose for this argument about children." Which is probably the stupidest refutation I've heard in a long time.

I'm starting to wonder whether this topic is even possible to discuss with any semblance of intelligence with practically all arguments for spanking being "it happened to me and im fine rite guise?" Usually with similar grammar and spelling as well. Seriously, you can't argue widespread acceptance of an action with only isolated cases being your evidence for it's effectiveness.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
This is not from a study or research just personal experience. But I think if the punishment is a spanking or what have you, that coupling it with non violent consequences(depending on the lesson you're teaching) is very helpful.

Example: Me, my brother, and the neighbor kids threw rocks through the windows on an abandoned house because it was fun, the guy who owned it used it as storage. My dad and the neighbor had to pay to replace all the windows and my dad installed them. We got a few swats for that but we also had to work the rest of our summer, helping my dad build our cabin, and doing lawn work for a majority of the day. I think that taught a very valuable lesson
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Me, my brother, and the neighbor kids threw rocks through the windows on an abandoned house because it was fun, the guy who owned it used it as storage. My dad and the neighbor had to pay to replace all the windows and my dad installed them. We got a few swats for that but we also had to work the rest of our summer, helping my dad build our cabin, and doing lawn work for a majority of the day. I think that taught a very valuable lesson

Parenting done right. Good father of yours. The swatting was the immediate response to what you'd done, helping restoring the damage was a way of showing that you were sorry. I think this is a good example of how physical punishment can indeed contribute to the evolution of a child. The first response made very clear that it was wrong, the second punishment taught humilty.
f=m*a syens
That's what I thought. I doubt it was what was going on in my dads head though. The spanking was for the fact we did something we deliberately knew was wrong. The work was to show the consequence in a way applicable to real life.
Spanking and slapping seems rather fine to me if it's something as stupid as spewing racial slurs, trying to offend everyone at any given time, stealing or even bullying. By saying that I got spanked and slapped in my early years I'd go with everyone else that say they were, and quite frankly... I don't give a fuck. When these kind of punishments fell away because I was too impossible of a child I became more and more of the common brat you see today. I damn near fell into the teen-criminal cathegory. Later on I met some friends that turned it all around. They weren't the kind of brats you'd see around today. I actualy thrived to become like them and later on I became one that people could respect. I got polite, I helped elderly people, I even stray away from violence(despite having a horribly violent mind) something you would not see the common brat do today.

My point with that is that role models have a lot of say, just as much as proper punishments in order to help the child know right from wrong.
Toribash TakeOVER
<Colossus> ROFL
<Colossus> my friend got hit by a car
<Colossus> gonna go visit him. brb

[22:45:46] <Thorn> I know she likes it in the ear
[22:45:53] <Thorn> because when I put it to her mouth she turns away
[sigpic]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac268/IAMUBERTHANU/552502_413931871977453_2050418562_njpg.gif[/sigpic]