Toribash
I grew up in the Appalachian mountains in the US. Spanking children is a custom, everyone does it. Also, which do you think is more effective? Hitting your child on the bottom gently but firmly, or telling them to not do what they are doing? Idk about you, but when I was young and someone told me, I would laugh in there face.
There is nothing wrong with spanking unless you are very very harsh with it. If you beat the crap out of your kid until it bleeds, that is unacceptable under any circumstances.
But if you give them a hard pat on the bottom, thats ok
"People should not be afraid of their governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people."
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Are you implying you can compare the human psyche to that of a dog? And if so, are you implying that enforcing every rule you would like a child to learn through violent means would be a good idea?
You are expressing yourself rather vaguely, please try and be more precise in your statements.

Also, if someone elses opinion makes you dislike them on a personal level you might want to reconsider your evaluation process, because that is rather infantile and nothing I want to see in this board. Stick to PM if you want to start a flame war.

Yes, we can be taught like dogs and like dogs they don't all have to be hit and is there no middle ground for some of you people? It's one or the other all the god damn time. Obviously excessive anything is wrong. And obviously some things you shouldn't have to be hit for, but pissing somewhere in the house like a dog like some kids. Should get hit, A nice good one to the rear. If they aren't retarded to begin with they should know that is why they are being hit. If a dog can knows it, A human should know.

And now you're going to tell me that not all kids have the hindsight to learn from being hit, Well, there you have it. We have a massive pussy on our hands when he/she grows up. I've met a few kids who never been hit because of their white parents and I'll tell you what, They aren't interesting in even the slightest. And a bit lazy because they haven't had that motivation from parents telling you get a job, do your homework, get the fuck outside for once, and etc.

Also in many, many, scenarios have I met people I did not like afterwards because of their opinions. So, hoow do you base your evaluations on people? Just by looks? It has to be what they say because that is what they are about. Opinions = YOU
Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
Yes, we can be taught like dogs and like dogs they don't all have to be hit and is there no middle ground for some of you people? It's one or the other all the god damn time. Obviously excessive anything is wrong. And obviously some things you shouldn't have to be hit for, but pissing somewhere in the house like a dog like some kids. Should get hit, A nice good one to the rear. If they aren't retarded to begin with they should know that is why they are being hit. If a dog can knows it, A human should know.

And now you're going to tell me that not all kids have the hindsight to learn from being hit, Well, there you have it. We have a massive pussy on our hands when he/she grows up. I've met a few kids who never been hit because of their white parents and I'll tell you what, They aren't interesting in even the slightest. And a bit lazy because they haven't had that motivation from parents telling you get a job, do your homework, get the fuck outside for once, and etc.

Also in many, many, scenarios have I met people I did not like afterwards because of their opinions. So, hoow do you base your evaluations on people? Just by looks? It has to be what they say because that is what they are about. Opinions = YOU

I never assumed a position, I just asked questions.
If you want to say that the human psyche can be compared to that of a dog I invite you to provide sources, otherwise I will consider that claim to be off-key. Same with your “people who don't get hit become pussies” statement.

Furthermore if you want to debate weather or not a set of opinions makes a whole person I invite you to create a new thread, for this is not the right place. Your odd ways of judging people is in no way relevant for this thread.
How are you?
I never assumed a position, I just asked questions.
If you want to say that the human psyche can be compared to that of a dog I invite you to provide sources, otherwise I will consider that claim to be off-key. Same with your “people who don't get hit become pussies” statement.

Furthermore if you want to debate weather or not a set of opinions makes a whole person I invite you to create a new thread, for this is not the right place. Your odd ways of judging people is in no way relevant for this thread.

Where am I gunna' get sources on this? It's in the text books and you can only assume on how things were handled.
People not even 200 years ago were people being treated like dogs (black and first nation people) Did they rise up and attack the white man? No, because they were stricken with fear, And I'm not going to be able to find a source saying "MAN THAT OF A DOG?"
Because it's an inhumane study that only old school German scientists under Hitlers rule would conduct. Also the Art of Torture. I'm sure you know how far this could go and what it can obtain. Anything.

Oh, and schools in China, a while back as well as India.

-snip-
Last edited by Redundant; Sep 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: I told you to stop.
If you want to say that the human psyche can be compared to that of a dog I invite you to provide sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaping_(psychology)

I think this is pretty well known and widely accepted.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
There is a huge difference between conditioning and teaching philosophical values.
Conditioning is merely the attempt to train a reaction to a certain stimulus.

Furthermore humans and dogs do not react to conditioning in the same way.
There is a reason why the CIA engaged in projects such as MK ULTRA. Humans cannot be trained as simple as dogs can.
When you say it is well known and widely accepted I do not know what to say. The human mind does not work like the mind of a dog. My guess is that you did not articulate what you were trying to say precisely enough, and we will probably agree once you did.
Oversimplifying issues won't do you any good.
There is a model that can be applied to the stages of moral development.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrenc...al_development
I can't say that I am well educated on the subject and I do not know if there are newer models that are more complex and in debth, but I agree with Kohlberg's view that there are stages which can be applied to most people.
The “conditioning” aspect you think is so relevant is the dominant part in only the very early youth of a child, when it does not know how to consider its actions and choose those it finds to be most attractive for whatever reasons.
The only way to really force a child into a certain set of behaviour patterns is to control its entire environment. Military schools are famous for that and I do think that they are worthwhile.

That said, I do agree that showing a child what it did wrong through physical punishments can be a tool, but its efficiency goes hand in hand with an effect of surprise, so it should be used rarely.

Originally Posted by T0ribush View Post
Where am I gunna' get sources on this? It's in the text books and you can only assume on how things were handled.
People not even 200 years ago were people being treated like dogs (black and first nation people) Did they rise up and attack the white man? No, because they were stricken with fear, And I'm not going to be able to find a source saying "MAN THAT OF A DOG?"
Because it's an inhumane study that only old school German scientists under Hitlers rule would conduct. Also the Art of Torture. I'm sure you know how far this could go and what it can obtain. Anything.

Oh, and schools in China, a while back as well as India.

-snip-

Not sure if trolling…
Saying “it is in textbooks” is a terrible excuse not to provide evidence for anything.
You make very wild claims and have very little evidence.
I do not know what people living in fear has to do with the human mind working like that of a dog.
Either way, if you want to discuss that, create a new thread. This thread is about punishments against children, not the mind of dogs.
Knowing you will probably still respond I have to warn you to refrain from doing so.
Last edited by Redundant; Sep 6, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
How are you?
I agree with you. And I was talking about the text books in highschool 9 to 12.

Fear is the strongest emotion, you technically don't have to use anything more than that.
If you want to make a reasonable moral person in the future, sure go beyond it, I would.
Last edited by T0ribush; Sep 7, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Corporal punishment may make kids avoid doing bad things because they fear you will punish them, but it will not teach them why they should avoid doing wrong. It does not teach kids to have a moral compass, which is the biggest problem with corporal punishment.
Mei fati dominus, mei animi dux
Need to PM a SMod?

Unofficial Skimmer of Discussion!

Fabula Magnus wants more able RPers!
Cataclysm is still alive?

Thorn

Wiggi must love me forever now.