Ranking
Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
Apart from that, there is simply no way to know. How can you oppress a people that cannot be identified? In short, you can't.

I don't think you've been around too many trans people.
-----

The unfortunate story that has been shoved to the sidelines is that mental illness is the real bad guy here. We should be working together as a society to help people, not validate their illnesses. It is very sad that so many people are losing out on the treatment they deserve in the name of 'progress'...

Daym son. We need more gay to straight camps in this motherfucker.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jun 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I don't think you've been around too many trans people.

I don't think you have mate - or maybe you have but you don't know it. Tell me how you know?

And please don't say something incredibly transphobic. There is literally no way to tell if someone is trans or cis without them telling you, or without examining both their DNA and their genitals - and frankly someone just telling you isn't what I would call 'proof'.

Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Daym son. We need more gay to straight camps in this motherfucker.

Mental health among LGBT is MUCH poorer than average. I'll give you some stats from NAMI https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/LGBTQ

"LGBTQ individuals are almost 3 times more likely than others to experience a mental health condition such as major depression or generalized anxiety disorder."

"or LGBTQ people aged 10–24, suicide is one of the leading causes of death. LGBTQ youth are 4 times more likely and questioning youth are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide, experience suicidal thoughts or engage in self-harm than straight people. Between 38-65% of transgender individuals experience suicidal ideation."

"An estimated 20-30% of LGBTQ people abuse substances, compared to about 9% of the general population."

"25% of LGBT people abuse alcohol, compared to 5-10% of the general population."

If you do not believe this is a huge issue, then I don't know what to say to you. LGBTQIA+ communities are extremely vulnerable, they need help. They do not need people pretending there is no problem, or laughing off mental health care as 'gay to straight camp'. You are making a joke of people dying and lives being ruined here, but I'm not laughing.
How would being LGBTQ affect someones mental health?

Its a far less big assumption to suggest that the mental health statistics are more to do with people like you telling them their gender and sexual identity is wrong and trying to fit them into a mould that makes you feel comfortable, than just the gender identity or sexual orientation itself.
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
How would being LGBTQ affect someones mental health?

Its a far less big assumption to suggest that the mental health statistics are more to do with people like you telling them their gender and sexual identity is wrong and trying to fit them into a mould that makes you feel comfortable, than just the gender identity or sexual orientation itself.

I think you are being extremely bigoted and trivialising mental health here.

Besides that there's an obvious flaw in your 'logic' - wouldn't cis het see the same increases from LGBTQIA+ bullying them?

And besides that, there are cases where gender dysphoria, dissociative identity disorder, etc have lead to more mental health issues. Imagine if you have GD or DID and someone tells you "don't worry, just chop your dick of and we will call you Sally"? How do you think that ends? Of course there was the extremely high profile case of Reimer too.

It is very insensitive to brush away the LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH for young LGBT as "probably just bullying". Can you not see that? Give these people some help for God's sake! They are dying out there, your hand waving isn't helping anyone...
I think you are being extremely bigoted and trivialising mental health here.

Besides that there's an obvious flaw in your 'logic' - wouldn't cis het see the same increases from LGBTQIA+ bullying them?

And besides that, there are cases where gender dysphoria, dissociative identity disorder, etc have lead to more mental health issues. Imagine if you have GD or DID and someone tells you "don't worry, just chop your dick of and we will call you Sally"? How do you think that ends? Of course there was the extremely high profile case of Reimer too.

It is very insensitive to brush away the LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH for young LGBT as "probably just bullying". Can you not see that? Give these people some help for God's sake! They are dying out there, your hand waving isn't helping anyone...

Stop trolling about LGBTQ and mental health, these are serious topics dont shit on them.

Despite me being 95% sure youre trolling ill answer anyway
1. SJWs "bullying" cis people is not comparable, its not relevant to many people's lives due to the comparably small number of them compared with the number of people like you who are derogatory and insulting towards LGBTQ calling their gender identity or sexual orientation a mental illness, numbers of people being abusive and frequency clearly is important in bullying cases. You're aware of that clearly, so stop trolling on trivial aspects of an important subject.

2. "Being LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community because LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community."

3. Using a sample size of 1 its still fucking 50/50 because theres controversy as to whether he identified as a boy or a girl throughout his life anyway, in addition in this case it seems very likely that it wasnt just the fact Remier was transgender that caused him to commit suicide.

Reimer had experienced the visits to Baltimore as traumatic rather than therapeutic, and when Dr. Money started pressuring the family to bring him in for surgery during which a vagina would be constructed, the family discontinued the follow-up visits. From 22 months into his teenaged years, Reimer urinated through a hole that surgeons had placed in the abdomen. Estrogen was given during adolescence to induce breast development.

It seems almost certain that his "much needed treatment" was more damaging to Reimer's mental health than being transgender, this a complicated as fuck case, there were clearly plenty more complications to Reimer's life than being transgender. In addition to all this complication there is controversy as to whether Remier identified as a boy or a girl throughout his life anyway. I dont know why you used this case, its a pretty fucking convoluted one and doesnt prove anything to do with your point.

3. "Probably just bullying" is a phrase you threw in, not me, dont trivialize bullying, unlike being trans it is well documented that being bullied without many other external, resulting and complicating factors can cause suicide. Note cause not correlate, correlation is not causation.

Again, im pretty sure youre trolling as per, so I have no interest in continuing this discussion with you.
1. SJWs "bullying" cis people is not comparable, its not relevant to many people's lives due to the comparably small number of them compared with the number of people like you who are derogatory and insulting towards LGBTQ calling their gender identity or sexual orientation a mental illness, numbers of people being abusive and frequency clearly is important in bullying cases. You're aware of that clearly, so stop trolling on trivial aspects of an important subject.

Not true and unsupported...

2. "Being LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community because LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community."

Who are you quoting? Certainly no study I have read..........

Sure, you are right, let's just ignore the entire issue because of some strawman bullshit argument that is unprovable. Doesn't matter if we don't get people the help they need, so long as we can say "omg it's all the cishet bullies that are at fault!!" Who cares about people - placing blame is what is important..................

3. Using a sample size of 1 its still fucking 50/50 because theres controversy as to whether he identified as a boy or a girl throughout his life anyway, in addition in this case it seems very likely that it wasnt just the fact Remier was transgender that caused him to commit suicide.

If you are talking about his life then of course you have a sample size of 1? Wtf are you even trying to say... You are using "but 1 person is only 1 person" as an argument to disprove someone's personal experiences? He developed chronic depression because of his dissociative gender disorder and killed himself, this is fact. We don't have to resurrect or clone him to increase the sample size... Sorry I have no idea what kind of argument you are trying to make with your statement, it just seems like an absurd thing to say.

It seems almost certain that his "much needed treatment" was more damaging to Reimer's mental health than being transgender, this a complicated as fuck case, there were clearly plenty more complications to Reimer's life than being transgender. In addition to all this complication there is controversy as to whether Remier identified as a boy or a girl throughout his life anyway. I dont know why you used this case, its a pretty fucking convoluted one and doesnt prove anything to do with your point.

He never identified as a girl, neither surgery nor hormones made him feel like a girl, and this fucked him up hardcore.

You cannot simply chop someone's dick off and pump them full of oestrogen and expect them to become a girl - gender is not a choice.

3. "Probably just bullying" is a phrase you threw in, not me, dont trivialize bullying, unlike being trans it is well documented that being bullied without many other external, resulting and complicating factors can cause suicide. Note cause not correlate, correlation is not causation.

"mental health statistics are more to do with people like you telling them their gender and sexual identity is wrong and trying to fit them into a mould that makes you feel comfortable"

Your words, not mine. You are the one who said that it was just because of bullying. You are the one trivialising mental illness by claiming that it's a simple as 'just bullying'. You are the one invalidating LGBTQIA+ identity by claiming gender is a choice. You are the one who wanted to brush the issue aside and just blame 'people like me' (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) rather than admit that hey, maybe this is something we should try and fix.

Fact: mental illness is RAMPANT among LGBTQIA+ communities and it is a serious problem that needs to be fixed. It is not something that you should trivialize and try to blame on other people.

On a sidenote: If someone shows you statistics and all you can say is 'correlation does not imply causation' then that is exceedingly weak and shows a lack of understanding of statistics. The correlation between LGBTQIA+ and mental health is something to be VERY concerned about, claiming there is no problem because LGBTQIA+ is not the 'cause' is disgusting. Let me put it into perspective one more time for you: "LGBTQ people aged 10–24, suicide is one of the leading causes of death." <- that is what you are trying to ignore, literally people dying. Just because there is no proven link between LGBTQIA+ and mental health is NOT a reason to deny them the help that they need.
Im less sure that youre trolling now and more concerned, can you actually confirm whether or not you are playing devils advocate/trolling? You are renowned for doing so, Id rather not have a futile discussion about this so please clarify your position.

Not true and unsupported...

Why is it not true? Who is it not supported by? ._.

Who are you quoting? Certainly no study I have read..........

I was summarizing your argument.

Sure, you are right, let's just ignore the entire issue because of some strawman bullshit argument that is unprovable. Doesn't matter if we don't get people the help they need, so long as we can say "omg it's all the cishet bullies that are at fault!!" Who cares about people - placing blame is what is important..................

What strawman? There was no strawman. Mental health issues are CAUSED by bullying, they CORRELATE with LGBTQ
(associate is the right word rather than correlate really but same difference). This is because LGBTQ people get bullied because of their identity. Which bit of this do you not get? The issue is not them being LGBTQ, the issue is people bullying them and making them feel unjustified for it, placing the blame is important - you cant fix an issue if you dont know where the issue lies. I think its disgraceful that you can call people who mercilessly bully LGBTQ people not the problem and then blame the person that commits suicide simply because of their gender/sexual identity.

If you are talking about his life then of course you have a sample size of 1? Wtf are you even trying to say... You are using "but 1 person is only 1 person" as an argument to disprove someone's personal experiences? He developed chronic depression because of his dissociative gender disorder and killed himself, this is fact. We don't have to resurrect or clone him to increase the sample size... Sorry I have no idea what kind of argument you are trying to make with your statement, it just seems like an absurd thing to say.

Ffs, theres a reason that biological and sociological experiments use large sample sizes. Are you not aware of that?

Even then, Reimer developed chronic depression because he found his "therapy" "traumatic" and because he had to piss through a hole in his abdomen his whole life, and because "He was ostracized and bullied by peers, and neither frilly dresses (which he was forced to wear during frigid Winnipeg winters)[12] nor female hormones made him feel female." Also according to his biography Reimer never identified as female at all. So on the whole this whole case is overcomplicated as fuck, and supports my argument rather than yours - i.e. he identified as a boy and was told to live as a girl, as he couldnt he was ostracized and bullied, which is traumatic and caused mental illness.

He never identified as a girl, neither surgery nor hormones made him feel like a girl, and this fucked him up hardcore.

You cannot simply chop someone's dick off and pump them full of oestrogen and expect them to become a girl - gender is not a choice.

This is the bit where you should have fucking cottoned on. You say "gender identity is learned" -> which necerssarily means it is a choice and can be changed. And at the same time you gave a case which showed that a biological male was raised as a girl his whole life and never identified as anything other than his biological sex. i.e. his gender identity couldnt be changed. Fucks sake man.

"mental health statistics are more to do with people like you telling them their gender and sexual identity is wrong and trying to fit them into a mould that makes you feel comfortable"

Your words, not mine. You are the one who said that it was just because of bullying. You are the one trivialising mental illness by claiming that it's a simple as 'just bullying'. You are the one invalidating LGBTQIA+ identity by claiming gender is a choice. You are the one who wanted to brush the issue aside and just blame 'people like me' (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean) rather than admit that hey, maybe this is something we should try and fix.

Fact: mental illness is RAMPANT among LGBTQIA+ communities and it is a serious problem that needs to be fixed. It is not something that you should trivialize and try to blame on other people.

The word I was taking issue with was just not bullying. It is because of bullying, being LGBTQ is not a mental issue, the issue is people who try to "fix" them and invalidate them. i.e. You.

I at no point claimed it to be a choice, no idea where you got that from. Also biological sex =/= gender identity. Of course we should try to fix the issue, but the issue is not people identifying as LGBTQ, the issue is people not being acceptant of that and trying to "fix" them. i.e. You.

On a sidenote: If someone shows you statistics and all you can say is 'correlation does not imply causation' then that is exceedingly weak and shows a lack of understanding of statistics. The correlation between LGBTQIA+ and mental health is something to be VERY concerned about, claiming there is no problem because LGBTQIA+ is not the 'cause' is disgusting. Let me put it into perspective one more time for you: "LGBTQ people aged 1024, suicide is one of the leading causes of death." <- that is what you are trying to ignore, literally people dying. Just because there is no proven link between LGBTQIA+ and mental health is NOT a reason to deny them the help that they need.

No it isnt. Correlation not being causation is a core principle in statistical maths, which is used widely in biological and sociological sciences. "shows a lack of understanding of statistics" lol.

The classic example of "correlation is not causation" that there is a correlation between skin cancer cases and number of ice creams eaten. The reason for the correlation is that over exposure to sunlight causes skin cancer, and people out in the sun typically eat ice cream. Applying your same logic to a different situation; eating ice cream causes skin cancer.

Edit: I feel that youll say that the situations are not comparable, so Ill make it fucking clear.
|1| The reason for the correlation is that over exposure to sunlight causes skin cancer
.1. The reason for the correlation is that being bullied and not being accepted by a huge portion of your peers is extremely damaging to mental health and causes mental health issues
|2| and people out in the sun typically eat ice cream
.2. and people who are in the LGBTQ group often do not get accepted and get bullied as a result (as you are a perfect example of).

Edit 2: Havent you done a mathematically based degree? You know what youre saying is flat out bullshit here -> you are trolling again arent you. >_>

I am not ignoring people dying, I am pointing out the cause - you are just looking at raw data and jumping to conclusions. Rather than actually fixing the cause, you would be adding to the issue - as I don't doubt you do on a daily basis.
Last edited by SmallBowl; Jun 27, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
Id rather not have a futile discussion about this so please clarify your position.

Don't post if you don't want to post. No one if forcing you to peddle your bigotry here.

Why is it not true? Who is it not supported by? ._.

Your statement isn't true and I don't support what you claim I do.

Unless you can show me proof that there are more people who say something like "all gay people should die" than there are people who say something like "all men should die" or "all cis should die" or something to that effect. I hang around a lot of LGBTQIA+ communities and I can safely say that I have seen at least 10 times as much anti-cishet sentiment than I have anti-LGBTQIA+.

If you can't produce proof then I will not accept that argument.

I was summarizing your argument.

You were creating a strawman and I don't appreciate it.

What strawman? There was no strawman. Mental health issues are CAUSED by bullying, they CORRELATE with LGBTQ

This is a strawman: "Being LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community because LGBTQ is the cause of mental illness in members of the LGBTQ community."

And it is absurd to say that all LGBTQIA+ mental health issues are caused solely by bullying. I would LOVE to see some proof on that, but I know that it doesn't exist, because it's an absurd thing to claim... Just think about what you are saying next time...

(associate is the right word rather than correlate really but same difference). This is because LGBTQ people get bullied because of their identity. Which bit of this do you not get? The issue is not them being LGBTQ, the issue is people bullying them and making them feel unjustified for it, placing the blame is important - you cant fix an issue if you dont know where the issue lies. I think its disgraceful that you can call people who mercilessly bully LGBTQ people not the problem and then blame the person that commits suicide simply because of their gender/sexual identity.

It is exceedingly rare for someone to kill themselves because of bullying, yet it is the leading cause of death for young LGBTQIA+. Of course you can just keep hand waving it away as "ah but I'm sure they get bullied a lot", or you could just admit that this is something WE NEED TO FIX.

Blaming people at random without any proof helps absolutely no one.

Ffs, theres a reason that biological and sociological experiments use large sample sizes. Are you not aware of that?

How can you have a large sample size for 1 persons life? Literally what are you talking about?

Even then, Reimer developed chronic depression because he found his "therapy" "traumatic" and because he had to piss through a hole in his abdomen his whole life, and because "He was ostracized and bullied by peers, and neither frilly dresses (which he was forced to wear during frigid Winnipeg winters)[12] nor female hormones made him feel female." Also according to his biography Reimer never identified as female at all. So on the whole this whole case is overcomplicated as fuck, and supports my argument rather than yours - i.e. he identified as a boy and was told to live as a girl, as he couldnt he was ostracized and bullied, which is traumatic and caused mental illness.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and from that "[12]" I can see you are just copy pasting from wikipedia.

Reimer had severe depression because of his dissociative gender and after a long battle sadly he took his own life. This is what I said before, you have done a full 360 and now end with "he identified as a boy and was told to live as a girl, as he couldnt he was ostracized and bullied, which is traumatic and caused mental illness".

This is exactly what I said, but thank you for your pointless argument and 180 degree flip from "there is controversy as to whether Remier identified as a boy or a girl" to "Reimer never identified as female at all" and your copy pasta from wikipedia............. Are you trying to waste my time on purpose? Next time you have no idea what you are talking about just say "I don't know about this" - it's unreasonable for anyone to know everything, so it is polite to just say so instead of resulting to wikipedia.

This is the bit where you should have fucking cottoned on. You say "gender identity is learned" -> which necerssarily means it is a choice and can be changed. And at the same time you gave a case which showed that a biological male was raised as a girl his whole life and never identified as anything other than his biological sex. i.e. his gender identity couldnt be changed. Fucks sake man.

Wtf are you talking about? I never said "gender identity is learned". This isn't even a strawman at this point, it's just outright dishonesty... I will quote myself from above:

"Imagine if you have GD or DID and someone tells you "don't worry, just chop your dick of and we will call you Sally"? How do you think that ends?"
"""""gender is not a choice"""""

Is this not clear? I never said otherwise. You cannot change gender, gender is not a choice. Am I being clear yet?

The word I was taking issue with was just not bullying. It is because of bullying, being LGBTQ is not a mental issue, the issue is people who try to "fix" them and invalidate them. i.e. You.

Um, when did I ever say that LGBTQIA+ is a mental issue? I said that many people are having their illness validated rather than treated, which is true - there are people out there with GD or DID who will die from their untreated issues because it is 'taboo' to even discuss it. I mean for God's sake you are flaming me for talking about suicide! Imagine if I was talking about GD or DID!!!

I at no point claimed it to be a choice, no idea where you got that from. Also biological sex =/= gender identity. Of course we should try to fix the issue, but the issue is not people identifying as LGBTQ, the issue is people not being acceptant of that and trying to "fix" them. i.e. You.

"In addition to all this complication there is controversy as to whether Remier identified as a boy or a girl throughout his life anyway."

You cannot change your gender, cutting his penis off did not make him a girl. Implying otherwise implies that gender is a choice. It is not. Please stop propagating this garbage that is getting people killed.

No it isnt. Correlation not being causation is a core principle in statistical maths, which is used widely in biological and sociological sciences. "shows a lack of understanding of statistics" lol.

You are ignoring the data itself just so you can make a reddit-tier quip to try and make yourself look smart.

This is you right now "Guys it doesn't matter if LGBTQIA+ are killing themselves at much higher rates than cishet, because correlation doesn't imply causation so there is no real issue!!1". How is this helpful? No one ever said that correlation implied causation, and yet you just have to make your little joke at the expense of people's mental health. I bet you would have got a lot of upboats on reddit though (lol).

dit 2: Havent you done a mathematically based degree? You know what youre saying is flat out bullshit here -> you are trolling again arent you. >_>

Yes I have a mathematics 'based' degree. And I know that 'correlation does not imply causation', but I also know that when you look at data you don't have to say every single time "ok guys correlation does not imply causation". LGBTQIA+ have high rates of mental health problems? THAT IS A PROBLEM. You don't have to tell anyone that correlation does not imply causation because it doesn't change the fact that this is a HUGE PROBLEM.

But sure, we can rule out "the sun makes people gay and also makes them kill themselves". Give yourself a pat on the back for being oh so smart........

Why are you even arguing this point? Just trying to waste more time and pad your post?
Don't post if you don't want to post. No one if forcing you to peddle your bigotry here.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and from that "[12]" I can see you are just copy pasting from wikipedia.

From this Im going to conclude the answer to be yes you are trolling and ignore the rest.

It was in quotation marks because it was a quote. I dont know much about the case, but what I found from searching is that it was a very complicated case and wasnt as simple as "hes trans so he committed suicide". I didnt pretend it wasnt a quote - to the point where it was in quotation marks, so I dont know why you took issue with it.

^^I guess the reason is in the first paragraph. Gorman, please genuinely stop ruining this board with your obnoxious trolling (this request is from me as a user not from me as staff). The numbering should make my point very clear, and you having done a mathematical degree, clearly know youre chatting shit - if youre going to play devils advocate do a convincing job.
From this Im going to conclude the answer to be yes you are trolling and ignore the rest.

Nice damage control. Again, no one is forcing you to post.

It was in quotation marks because it was a quote. I dont know much about the case, but what I found from searching is that it was a very complicated case and wasnt as simple as "hes trans so he committed suicide". I didnt pretend it wasnt a quote - to the point where it was in quotation marks, so I dont know why you took issue with it.

lol so it was a quote from wiki.....................

^^I guess the reason is in the first paragraph. Gorman, please genuinely stop ruining this board with your obnoxious trolling (this request is from me as a user not from me as staff). The numbering should make my point very clear, and you having done a mathematical degree, clearly know youre chatting shit - if youre going to play devils advocate do a convincing job.

If you have no argument to make just shout troll and copy paste from wiki huh?

No matter how many locations are designated as "National Monuments" it does nothing to help the people that are in need. Waggling your finger at cishet and shouting "BUT ITS YOUR FAULT" helps even less. End of story.

PS: "correlation does not imply causation" should only be brought up if someone claims otherwise, it is not a generic "+1 internet argument point" that you should spam whenever statistics are discussed.