Toribash
Original Post
I'm trying to get into video making for toribash, any tips?
Title self explanitory, what do I get? What should I avoid? What should I do? What should not get into the habit of doing? etc etc etc
<BISH> kick chan my modes are moving on their own~
<Shook> FLAGGOTS
Ok, first you need to think of a few things.
1. Music - use music YOU like. Ofcourse it's got to work, but if you don't like it then you're gonna get super bored half way through and not finish it. Happened to me plenty of times. Look for hard hits and good "sync points".
2. Recording - Fraps is generally used, I think. If you can, record in full screen and use Bezcam (unless you feel like doing freecam). Multiple angles tend to make a video step up a level.
3. Vegas - it's the go to program with this, windows media player isn't really good enough. With Vegas if you want tips and such, people on the IRC can help, but a better source would probably be YouTube tutorials, they're very useful.

Obviously there's a lot more than that, but you know, that's the basics imo
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
The most common mistake I see nowadays is that people sometimes put the replays to the music and they won't even speed them up to match the pace of the music. It really glazes my donuts when people play speedcore to a replay recorded at 15 FPS. I always speed up my clips to make them as fast as the music.
oh yeah
The number one rule of video making/editing/recording is this:
"Crap in, crap out". You have to have good content to begin with, no matter how good you are with editing. That means you should pay full attention to everything in your replay as you record. Play around with shaders, the default white is too bright and boring. If it's a parkour replay, keep uke out of it, it takes attention away from your tori. If you're using a mod with additional content (buildings, hills, etc) pay attention to depth and get some unique angles. The less "flat" the video looks the better off you are.

Also, like Erth sort of mentioned, make your cuts on beats. Meaning your edit cuts sync to the beat of the music. Pay attention to continuity if using multiple angles for one replay. And just because your recording from a computer, it's no reason to ignore basic cinematography rules such as rule of thirds and head/lead room. It's subtle things like that, that can really separate a good video from a shitty one.

Good luck man, I'd love to see some of your work.

----

Don't think you have to use the entire length of the song either, check out Slycooper's videos, he usually has short videos, but they are very well done.
Last edited by JayStar; Jun 1, 2013 at 08:05 AM.