Ranking
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Does ownership of guns inherently make you a murderer? How come other countries can own guns and not have astronomical crime rates? This suggests it's a problem with the culture in USA.

Remember we are talking about gun laws in general, not just the USA.

And remember this thread is not about how to solve gun crime it is about what gun laws should be. I agree that the fastest way to stop people doing something is to stop kids growing up into that sort of person but this is not really what this thread is about. You are telling us how a society can reduce crime in general while the Thread Starter didn't mention crime, although gun crime and gun accidents are the only reason that gun laws need to be in place.

So is your argument that if society was improved gun restrictions could be much more relaxed? because this sort of makes sense, and does show that gun laws should be based on the society they apply too rather than there being a universal set of laws which work for every nation. If so then this is a relevant argument but nevertheless, try to focus on specific gun law rather than just general societal problems and crime rates.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
Remember we are talking about gun laws in general, not just the USA.

Well, that's harder to respond to since each country has a different society so they need different laws.

And remember this thread is not about how to solve gun crime it is about what gun laws should be. I agree that the fastest way to stop people doing something is to stop kids growing up into that sort of person but this is not really what this thread is about. You are telling us how a society can reduce crime in general while the Thread Starter didn't mention crime, although gun crime and gun accidents are the only reason that gun laws need to be in place.

What other reason is there to have laws other than to stop crime?

If you ask me what gun laws should be in a perfect world, there shouldn't be any.
So is your argument that if society was improved gun restrictions could be much more relaxed? because this sort of makes sense, and does show that gun laws should be based on the society they apply too rather than there being a universal set of laws which work for every nation. If so then this is a relevant argument but nevertheless, try to focus on specific gun law rather than just general societal problems and crime rates.

Yes, that's exactly it. A responsible society doesn't need gun laws, one that is irresponsible needs laws that are strictly enforced.

The point of laws is to enforce morality and fairness. If a society already has positive values, then there's no need to have those laws.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
So do schools just need to be better or do children need to be taught that guns are scary dangerous things? I don't think you can rely on people to treat guns with the respect and caution they deserve without being taught to do so from a young age. Especially with the relatively frequent possesion of guns in video games. I do not think that video games are a problem, just that they make a lot of things seem less dangerous (unless it is a horror game...).
So do schools just need to be better or do children need to be taught that guns are scary dangerous things? I don't think you can rely on people to treat guns with the respect and caution they deserve without being taught to do so from a young age. Especially with the relatively frequent possesion of guns in video games. I do not think that video games are a problem, just that they make a lot of things seem less dangerous (unless it is a horror game...).

If you don't believe video games contribute to the problems of gun violence, why bring it up? Riding the fence on an issue is not a way to promote any meaningful dialogue, it's just a way to backpedal on your statements if you receive too much flak.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Are you arguing about gun laws or arguing about how I am discussing gun laws? Anyway, I will answer your question even though I would rather you you didn't make posts like this.

I think that it is impossible to deny that some people are affected by media (this includes TV, newspapers, comic books, movies and video games). There are very impressionable people in this world and I think that this is the real problem. If kids seriously end up thinking that certain unrealistic video games are like real life then the society has failed them (depending on their age, obviously age restrictions exist for a reason but they are almost entirely ignored). This goes back to the issue of teaching people that you must always have the safety switch on (or whatever it is called) and that even if you think your gun is empty it is a terrible idea to point it at someone else or at yourself.

I hope the dialogue has been promoted in a satisfyingly meaningful way for you now. No fences were harmed in the making of this post. To be honest I brought up video games just to make my post longer (it seemed so empty) rather than to inspire any future dialogue, although after writing it I did realise that such dialogue was an extremely likely possibility afterwards.
So do schools just need to be better or do children need to be taught that guns are scary dangerous things?

Guns are guns, they aren't scary.

Someone pointing a gun at you a telling you they are going to kill you, that is scary.

People shouldn't be afraid of inanimate objects.

It's not such a simple issue that just teaching children to be afraid would fix it.

I don't think you can rely on people to treat guns with the respect and caution they deserve without being taught to do so from a young age.

Maybe.

I don't think people really develop the ability to really have respect until later in life.

Especially with the relatively frequent possesion of guns in video games. I do not think that video games are a problem, just that they make a lot of things seem less dangerous (unless it is a horror game...).

Normalization or familiarity does not cause an increase of the behavior. More and more violent media is being displayed but we are seeing falling crime levels.

Are you arguing about gun laws or arguing about how I am discussing gun laws?

I think he's against you not have conviction!
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I think guns should be scary, as should knives, swords, petrol and cars (the petrol because it is flammable, not because it is used in cars) as well as anything which can cause a lot of destruction very quickly because of one person making a mistake. In a society where people all kept to the speed limits and slowed down at zebra crossings we would not need to advertise the fact that cars can kill you. If people were clever enough to avoid train tracks we wouldn't need to advertise that this is a fucking stupid thing to do. When I say advertise I am referring to the youtube, tv and even cinema adverts I have seen of these (dumb ways to die included even though it was one not shown in my country).

Normalising careless gun use in film, tv and video-games probably does have the effect of making stupid people less careful with guns. I am not talking about violence resulting in violence, that argument is pretty senseless.

although you are probably right that fear might not be the solution. What types of improvements do you think would stop irresponsible people being stupid with dangerous things? (How do you stop people being irresponsible?)
Well that's not quite correct because different states have their own laws.

There's been quite a few cases where mentally ill people have purchased guns and then used them, either on themselves or others.

States have their own laws regarding what types of firearms are allowed, how they may be carried, and the process one goes through to get the firearm itself. The states are almost identical in terms of WHO may purchase a firearm.

Mentally ill people were able to purchase their firearms because they had already gotten their gun ownership card (FOID) before they were diagnosed or anyone knew anything. When someone walks into the gun store and purchases a gun, only a criminal background check is done on that person. As long as that person checks out and have a valid FOID card, they can have their gun. This is one thing that I agree should be changed, just for their own safety's sake.

Again, depends on the state, and clearly the laws for your state are inadequate. Just having a trigger lock is not enough.

Again, it really doesn't. There are only a few states in which it is absolutely required to have firearms in a locked case. Most others allow a 'one or the other' policy. I ask you, how is a trigger lock not enough? It does not prevent someone from stealing the gun itself, but it DOES prevent that thief from using it against the owner (minus using it as a blunt weapon) during the stealing process, which allows the owner more time and opportunity to get his stuff back.

I didn't look up their official statement, I'm just going by what I see them post. Obviously liberals is quite a big group, I was referring to just some people who happen to be liberals.

Pretty much every liberal (Democrat in US) cries for stricter gun laws. It looks horribly like you just tried to bash liberals because they're liberals.

In short: People are morons. Our media is portraying people as NOT being morons, and so everyone assumes that when someone says "Hey stupid!", that person is not talking about them, so they don't listen when someone is giving a PSA.
-----
What types of improvements do you think would stop irresponsible people being stupid with dangerous things? (How do you stop people being irresponsible?)

Tell everyone blatantly that they are an absolute donut, and listen up or THIS will happen to them (insert gory picture of someone with their intestines out or some shit)
Last edited by hawkesnightmare; Nov 30, 2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Are you arguing about gun laws or arguing about how I am discussing gun laws? Anyway, I will answer your question even though I would rather you you didn't make posts like this.

Nobody can argue anything if a standpoint isn't articulated. If you don't take a concrete stance on what you're trying to say, there's nothing to argue about. A wishy-washy statement that could be interpreted as supporting both sides of an argument is not debatable.

I'm not against having a nuanced opinion. You don't need to be black or white in your opinion to debate something, but your statements that you use to back up your opinion should clearly support your opinion. If your statement is so open-ended that any conclusion could be reached from it, it's a worthless statement in the context of a debate.

And if you rapidly wanted irresponsible gun behavior to be curbed, put the death penalty on any unsafe gun behavior that results in the injury or death of another person, no exceptions. Extreme punishment and widespread enforcement of said punishment quickly stops the unwanted behavior in normal people. Of course, such a thing would never get passed in America due to various political, economic, and historical reasons, which are enough to fill a large book, but a rapid solution won't come to a nation that has guns and government paranoia ingrained into its culture.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
I apologise that I didn't initially say how video games made it harder to emphasise the danger of guns and I am sorry I specifically referred to video games rather than media in general, I just felt that video games are the most influential popular type of media the public are exposed to (movies are not so frequently experienced and tv is often very diverse in it's subject matter and tend to show guns as being dangerous when they are shown at all). This feeling was probably wrong and I shouldn't have considered adding video games to the discussion on such an impulsive whim when it wasn't necessary. Re-reading this I noticed that this paragraph may sounds sarcastic to some people, it is not.

Concerning your suggestion of death penalty: Don't you think that there is an easier way to solve the problem? As far as I know (which is not actually very far since apparently most of my view is blocked by a large fence which I am dangerously close to) the death penalty is actually very expensive to sentence and I think that it might be a bit extreme anyway.