Toribash
Original Post
Overkill PC Upgrade?
I just wanted your guys opinion to see if this upgrade im doing on my pc is a overkill or not just dont want to over do it and not be able to utilize it all.

My Current PC Specs:
EnerMax Coenus GunMetal MidTower Case
AMD Processor FX-6300 @ 4.8Ghz
Biostar TA970 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX AMD MotherBoard
4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Asus HD 7790 1GB
1x2TB Seagate Hard Drive
600W Corsair Power Supply Bronze

Specs I will be changing are the Processor, Motherboard, Graphics Card, and I will be adding another 4GB Stick of ram

Processor: i7-4770k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-901-_-Product
Graphic Card: GTX 780Ti Boost - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-771-_-Product
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORUMULA - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-038-_-Product
Overkill or no?
Last edited by BrutalLegacy; May 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM.
You have a fucking custom built monster already.

Stahp.
goodbye cruel world
Unless you're trying to make a god damn movie just stahp this overkill like major overkill
I am the true Bob of all things I was just Bob once until there was too many of too many that I could call fakes.
if you already have a bunch of really nice peripherals (1-3 120hz+ monitors, nice keyboard/mouse, stuff like that), then you could benefit from upgrading

right now you should be able to run most games, maybe struggle a bit with the 7790, so I can see an upgrade to the GPU, but the CPU is fine for most things

unless you really need a reason to upgrade and need the super powerful processor and gpu, then there is no reason to burn the money. at most i would upgrade the gpu and the ram. if you're going to upgrade everything, go for 16gb of ram instead of 8gb

also, your 600w psu may or may not suffer a bit with that setup. i personally would upgrade it so it isn't having issues if you plan to go through with this

OH and i almost forgot, get an ssd as well
Last edited by Faint; May 24, 2014 at 08:19 AM.
All you need right now is more RAM and an SSD. Upgrade to 8 or 16gb of 1600, and get an SSD for your OS.

Are you really finding that your GPU/CPU are bottlenecking the system? A 7790 and a vishera should be plenty fine for many years to come.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
All you need right now is more RAM and an SSD. Upgrade to 8 or 16gb of 1600, and get an SSD for your OS.

Are you really finding that your GPU/CPU are bottlenecking the system? A 7790 and a vishera should be plenty fine for many years to come.

I agree, pretty much what I was trying to get at. The 7790 seems a little weak when it comes to some intensive stuff so if you really have the money and you want the extra bang for buck you can get a nicer card if you like.
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
if you already have a bunch of really nice peripherals (1-3 120hz+ monitors, nice keyboard/mouse, stuff like that), then you could benefit from upgrading

right now you should be able to run most games, maybe struggle a bit with the 7790, so I can see an upgrade to the GPU, but the CPU is fine for most things

unless you really need a reason to upgrade and need the super powerful processor and gpu, then there is no reason to burn the money. at most i would upgrade the gpu and the ram. if you're going to upgrade everything, go for 16gb of ram instead of 8gb

also, your 600w psu may or may not suffer a bit with that setup. i personally would upgrade it so it isn't having issues if you plan to go through with this

OH and i almost forgot, get an ssd as well

Originally Posted by Faint View Post
I agree, pretty much what I was trying to get at. The 7790 seems a little weak when it comes to some intensive stuff so if you really have the money and you want the extra bang for buck you can get a nicer card if you like.

Yeah The 7790 struggles a bit when things get intense and the frames drop like crazy but other than that it runs decent... and the power supply will likely be upgraded as well but im gonna test it out with the 600w to see if it still runs fine if not then i'll likely be upgrading it to a 700w or 1000w. I have heard alot of people saying the FX6300 would be a huge bottleneck on the gtx780ti boost so Im upgrading my cpu/motherboard but considering alot of those that i saw their cpu's were never overclocked the same as mine so it could be a different story... I just dont wanna take any risk.
-----
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post

The GPU/CPU is not bottlenecking but it really lets me down when it gets pretty bad when a game gets pretty intensive the 7790 just wants to drop the frames to 20... Least to say alot of my games already such as Arma which I really love can barely run on 1080p on medium getting 30-20fps caused by all the vehicles and explosions as I play with a big group of other people we like to do special ops type of stuff on our private server but still then its pretty intensive.
Last edited by BrutalLegacy; May 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
the 7000 series was a bit of a cock up, 7790 made no sense, it was less powerfull than a 5770.
i agree on the gfx upgrade, moar RAM is the most important bit, otherwise the rest is fine.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
the 7000 series was a bit of a cock up, 7790 made no sense, it was less powerfull than a 5770.
i agree on the gfx upgrade, moar RAM is the most important bit, otherwise the rest is fine.

Yeah im gonna buy the gtx780ti first and test it out on my system and try to run a few games if the bottleneck is there im gonna have to upgrade the cpu...