people playing: 111, servers online: 36, games played: 142,171,532 Top Player: Firesun

  Toribash Community » Toribash » Mods
Register FAQ General Rules Community
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 5, 2018   #1
Haluejah
Senior Member
 
3rd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Clan: Vector



Rhom. Cage Release!
Hi Guys!


I made another mod, this time, competitive, so all of you can challenge your inner hokage and beat eveyone up in this crazy Rhombicuboctahedron. Don't worry sparrers and tricksters, I though of you too!
This mod comes with two versions, the competitive mode I mentioned above, or a calmer, more cooperative sparring/tricking mode.


A brief explanation on the mod.

The competitive mod is named rhom_cage, rhom coming from Rhombicuboctahedron, a 26 faced polyhedron. However, this one's hollow if you didn't use common sense.
The competitive mod has 25 Turn Frames and 375 Match Frames, sumarizing it, there's 15 turns. Both dismemberment and fracture threshold are 100, the reaction time is 30 seconds, you can grab the walls too, and... what makes this mod so special is... theres no gravity!



"So we're basically stuck in a hollow 26 sided polygon?"
- You may be asking yourself. Yes, you are!


More of the sparring/tricking mod now, it's the same Rhombicub- I give up, you get it right? The turn frames are now 10, and the match frames are 750, for a brief challenging spar.


OK! OK! Less talking more showing right?

Preview :: Screenshots



Preview :: GIFS




Summing up this presentation mod release, I'd like to thank Gnaww for helping me out with the quality GIFs. Special props to that sweet lad! Hopefully you, reading this right now, will like this mod I've made.


EDIT:: Added new faster version.
Attached Files
File Type: tbm rhom_sparring_cage.tbm (19.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: tbm rhom_cage.tbm (19.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: rpl rhom_demo.rpl (352.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: tbm rhom_cage_faster.tbm (22.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: tbm rhom_sparring_cage_faster.tbm (22.1 KB, 6 views)
i cut myself with a yogurt lid and i dip vanilla cookies in peach ice tea
i've been playing hardcore mode all this time

Last edited by Haluejah; Jul 5, 2018 at 08:21 PM..
Haluejah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #2
Kurokaen
Member
 
4th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 111



awesome concenpt, Rhombicuboctahedron, how do you even pronounce that
lionet is cute
Kurokaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #3
Origanami
Member
 
Black Belt
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 398



Holy fuck this looks so cool!
Be Unique. Be Textured.
Origanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #4
Gnaww
Junior Member
 
Brown Belt
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 11



<3
Super fun testing it out with you, I really hope this mod goes far.
Gnaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #5
Lionet
Forumite
 
2nd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,828
Clan: Vector



The replays really are good looking and give an impression that this mod is the funnier thing to play competitively but while testing this mod and seeing the results that came out with it I would it gets really boring and dull once you get in the air you may have to wait a long time to make another move.

At least for me, this makes the mod way more frustrating to play, so I would recommend to make toris a little faster (lighter or stronger), but not to a point where the first to move/hit the opponent shatters him
Lionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #6
Haluejah
Senior Member
 
3rd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Clan: Vector



The competitive mod was build so you used the turns strategically and know when to jump & strike, but sometimes things need to loosen up and be a little bit more fun to play.

Originally Posted by Lionet View Post
...and seeing the results that came out with it I would it gets really boring and dull once you get in the air you may have to wait a long time to make another move.

At least for me, this makes the mod way more frustrating to play...

And in that sense I do agree with you, the mod needs a funnier side to it, so I've changed the tori speed a little bit on both mods to around 1.5x stronger.

I added both of them to the OP.
i cut myself with a yogurt lid and i dip vanilla cookies in peach ice tea
i've been playing hardcore mode all this time
Haluejah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018   #7
Karbn
Parkour Extraordinare
 
7th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,456
Clan: Vector



Absolutely sick. You know I'm going to be sparring in this after work. Nice job!
hi i'm karbn and i eat ass; love the market overlord
Karbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018   #8
Lionet
Forumite
 
2nd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,828
Clan: Vector



Originally Posted by Haluejah View Post
The competitive mod was build so you used the turns strategically and know when to jump & strike, but sometimes things need to loosen up and be a little bit more fun to play.



And in that sense I do agree with you, the mod needs a funnier side to it, so I've changed the tori speed a little bit on both mods to around 1.5x stronger.

I added both of them to the OP.

by the way any criticism from me is about competitive mode, sparring in this is already sick. But even if you could add speed in sparring mode would make things better because when I saw your replay I was sickened with the slow motion moves but when you set 2x speed looks really awesome
Lionet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018   #9
pouffy
<cocacobra> hes like an neckbeardling
 
7th Dan Black Belt
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,596



i was just talking with some guys about doing something similar - this is a super cool mod

personally, i think some things could be improved - some of the line intersections could be cleaner, and i'd prefer the lines to be thinner ( although i realize that the thicker lines are also making the intersections look better ) just for increased visibility inside of it.

if you're worried about time suspended in air, you can also increase both the bounce and the friction of the walls. if i were to have made the mod, i probably would have made it low or zero grav, and made friction something around 95,000 - 102,000, and bounce around 0.9 - 0.98. Lower gravity allows players to make full use of the shape you've created - they can actually make use of the ceiling and upper walls, the bounce change increases the force they retain/gain by kicking off of any of the surfaces ( more force = moving across the 'dojo' more quickly, reducing the amount of time between contact on surfaces and thus airtime ), and the friction makes it so you can properly kick off of a surface before bouncing off of it. This is a trick I've employed in most of my mods set in closed off dojos and boxes, and it works really well.

but seriously, actually doing this was a herculean task and it looks super cool. awesome job

pouffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018   #10
Haluejah
Senior Member
 
3rd Dan Black Belt
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 607
Clan: Vector



Originally Posted by pouffy View Post
i was just talking with some guys about doing something similar - this is a super cool mod

personally, i think some things could be improved - some of the line intersections could be cleaner, and i'd prefer the lines to be thinner ( although i realize that the thicker lines are also making the intersections look better ) just for increased visibility inside of it.

if you're worried about time suspended in air, you can also increase both the bounce and the friction of the walls. if i were to have made the mod, i probably would have made it low or zero grav, and made friction something around 95,000 - 102,000, and bounce around 0.9 - 0.98. Lower gravity allows players to make full use of the shape you've created - they can actually make use of the ceiling and upper walls, the bounce change increases the force they retain/gain by kicking off of any of the surfaces ( more force = moving across the 'dojo' more quickly, reducing the amount of time between contact on surfaces and thus airtime ), and the friction makes it so you can properly kick off of a surface before bouncing off of it. This is a trick I've employed in most of my mods set in closed off dojos and boxes, and it works really well.

but seriously, actually doing this was a herculean task and it looks super cool. awesome job

Thanks for the notice, but the intersections are totally messed up and at this point if I were to fix them all it would take a lot of patience and it would be a huge time killer.

As for the air time, I believe it's acceptable.
In the sparring version, you're looking for good launchers, so air time is only wasted if the launcher was bad. For the competitive version I feel like it's more on the mechanics and the way you use decide to jump.
i cut myself with a yogurt lid and i dip vanilla cookies in peach ice tea
i've been playing hardcore mode all this time
Haluejah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ragdoll fighting game physics fighting game ragdoll fighting physics funmotion joints martial arts karate pc mac free game turn based game