Ranking
Funding is essentially step 2 to becoming an esport. 1) build the competitive community and get stand out players 2) tournaments and leagues. This is where the money part comes in, yeah you could do leagues and ladders with no prizes but you're not moving the community forward towards becoming an esport. 3) streaming and promoting. Now that your community has a funded league and you're starting to separate amateurs from pros you want to bring in cash flow to support the league. Streaming, merchandising, and registration costs are going to be your big 3. 4) more online leagues and LAN events backed with cash prizes and big name players. 5) do everything I just said in larger scale as the scene grows. 6) franchise, not only the game but the teams and players

Yeah it comes "later" but is a huge step in making a game successful competitively. I can give examples from games who lose funding and it destroys there competitive scene.
Originally Posted by deprav View Post
Also I think you guys miss the whole point of Toribash from a spectator point of view.

I think TB is a great spectator sport. It can change in an instant, but it always has nice breaks for commentators to discuss. When I'm in voice chat with mates specing a toribash match, we always get in to what each player could do, what they did already, what we think they might do, and who might win, etc.

Fast paced, often unpredictable, but with natural breaks for discussion. I could definitely get in to watching competitive TB.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
I think TB is a great spectator sport. It can change in an instant, but it always has nice breaks for commentators to discuss. When I'm in voice chat with mates specing a toribash match, we always get in to what each player could do, what they did already, what we think they might do, and who might win, etc.

Fast paced, often unpredictable, but with natural breaks for discussion. I could definitely get in to watching competitive TB.

completely agree, tho you need people who know whats going on to talk about it

Arglax Moderated Message:
Next time you post, please add more content. Nobody benefits or learns anything from a one-sentence post only expressing agreement.
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 17, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Idk if Toribash is suited for it, but there is some room to push ingame skills upwards. I'd also love it because then I'd have more duel opponents to duel with and more TCs to make if I'm on a winning streak :3

personally I like small points whoring on ninjutsu, so it would be fun watching it on competitive level. @snake: if a player gets small points and evades you taking the points leads, means he kinda won early, not that he's less skilled or it was random or excuses. Yeah, I'd like watching 'pro' players come up with custom openers to get early points. Would be fun.
Last edited by JSnuffMARS; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Originally Posted by snake View Post
tho you need people who know whats going on to talk about it

Yup, finding good commentators is hard and is probably the biggest factor to getting people to enjoy spectating TB.

Any volunteers?