ES Recruitment Drive
It's not trivializing it's realism.

Secondly it is rational, both of these are punishable by law in some cases such as hate crimes, not to mention both these problems have massive amounts of global awarness and organizations to help raise said awareness .

What you're asking is for everyone to feel the exact same way about two different problems that you do, keyword being different there is not one thing that the whole world or even most of the world can agree upon and you're proposing just that.
Last edited by AzureMage; Jul 6, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
I'm not proposing everyone think alike, that's idiotic. I'm making a case as to why homophobic remarks should be taken more seriously. If you chalk that up to "asking everyone to feel the exact same way" then why argue at all about anything? Nothing would ever change if arguments were generalized they way you're generalizing mine.
My signature sucks
Homophobic remarks are taken seriously when need be, but considering a majority of the time that it's a joke then there's no need to. Same as how the n word has been used multiple times in this thread without penalty because it was appropriate.

Fact as to why it's not as penalized in toribash is because it's already been accepted, and is pretty much the most popular form of humor used here. If there were a gay toribash community that decided to bring it forth to someone's attention then it would be different but as it stands your just making waves where there are none. Unless you yourself are homosexual that is.

I'm generalizing because I know this will never end topics that include things such as race, sexuality, religion etc. never do that's why leaving some things as, is best. How I see it is fine as long as those who commit crimes because someone is of a different race or gay is punished is fine by me, but You're saying that those who use homophobic slurs aren't being punished enough? How is that if someone can get banned here and locked up in actuality then where exactly is the system failing? .
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
Why, if a man thinks that he is an alien or a robot,
he is going to be treated in psychiatric facility
but if he thinks that he is a woman - no
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
I'm not proposing everyone think alike, that's idiotic. I'm making a case as to why homophobic remarks should be taken more seriously. If you chalk that up to "asking everyone to feel the exact same way" then why argue at all about anything? Nothing would ever change if arguments were generalized they way you're generalizing mine.

you ask why homophobic slurs, or jokes arent taken more seriously. I ask why are racial jokes arent taken more lightheartedly. If you were to answer both questions without bias, knowing the full story on both topics, including opinions and emotions of the People, You would know why they arent handled the same.

anyways as said a million times, the only way these jokes would be taken more seriously, is if people took them more seriously. That may sound like some bullshit You'd read off a fortune cookie but slow down and read it and you'll understand. If you want people to take something more seriously, people have to take offence to it, otherwise it will just be you trying to force your opinions of humor on others.

Now on a side note, the gaming community as a general accepts homophobic humor, hands down, however it can be taken to far, and thats when its punished, and since I'm on the subject, I dont like homophobic jokes, in real world speach, or such. In real life, Id accept racial jokes, depending on their content, however rarely would I take it in the gaming community
Originally Posted by HunnKhan View Post
Why, if a man thinks that he is an alien or a robot,
he is going to be treated in psychiatric facility
but if he thinks that he is a woman - no

One, gender confusion is different from homosexuality. You can believe you were born the wrong gender, but still feel heterosexual attraction based on your biological gender.

Two, gender confusion does not inhibit somebody from functioning in everyday life, unlike schizophrenic delusions.

Three, gender is both a biological and social construct. It's biological that a male will have a penis and a female will have ovaries, but it's socially constructed how each gender is required to act. People with gender confusion can either believe they were born the wrong gender, and thus act like the other gender in the social construct and usually attempt hormone therapy to become as close as possible to the other gender (basically a biological focus), or believe that they are better functioning within a different gender's social construction, and thus adopt it (basically a sociological focus).

Four, this is exactly the kind of ignorance that causes discrimination. You don't understand the subject, but you believe you do, and thus make decisions on false, and usually destructive, information.

Originally Posted by iLiltay View Post
you ask why homophobic slurs, or jokes arent taken more seriously. I ask why are racial jokes arent taken more lightheartedly. If you were to answer both questions without bias, knowing the full story on both topics, including opinions and emotions of the People, You would know why they arent handled the same.

Because clearly, you know. You must know if you know exactly how you can know. After all, it's not like both blacks and homosexuals were lynched, denied basic rights, and experienced genocide at the hands of white, heterosexuals. They definitely did not experience the same discrimination, right? Right? It's crazy that homosexuals and blacks would want to be respected as an equal for once, right?

anyways as said a million times, the only way these jokes would be taken more seriously, is if people took them more seriously. That may sound like some bullshit You'd read off a fortune cookie but slow down and read it and you'll understand. If you want people to take something more seriously, people have to take offence to it, otherwise it will just be you trying to force your opinions of humor on others.

Because everyone knows that if everyone accepts it, it must be right. We can't change their way of thinking because we believe it to be insulting. No sir, that would be immoral.

Oh wait...

Now on a side note, the gaming community as a general accepts homophobic humor, hands down, however it can be taken to far, and thats when its punished, and since I'm on the subject, I dont like homophobic jokes, in real world speach, or such. In real life, Id accept racial jokes, depending on their content, however rarely would I take it in the gaming community

Why does medium of the discrimination legitimize it? Is it more acceptable if I insult a person on race or sexual orientation face to face, or over the phone, or through letters, or with smoke signals?

Read that last question back to yourself really slowly, and you might realize how stupid your argument sounds when you try to legitimize discrimination because of the way it's presented.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Thellian View Post
Everyday, at least in-game where I spend most of my time, the chat is inundated with garbage like "gay ass fag" or "fuck you faggot". I know most of the people who communicate like that are kids who don't know any better, but switch up "faggot" with "nigger" and nobody would stand for it. This is the double standard that should be eliminated.

You cant joke about a persons race on the internet without offending 2 or more people. Thats just the way it is. homosexual humor is just something popular on the gaming community, that doesnt intend any harm or insult. its Humor when its an insult thats when its a problem. you are trying to turn the jokes into the insults and make it all the same thing. If im not mistaken, racism is in someway illegal(not supported under freedom of speech.

So, I sorta bolded just about every statement I guess I agree with. I think I'll have to edit this post a few times because I have so many quotes to sort through.

Anyways, I think people are way too sensitive about racial slurs in comparison to calling others "faggot" or "gay"
For the past few weeks I've been throwing tons of homosexual slurs to test this double standard, even in lobbies with Admins and GMs. I don't think anyone was very offended and I was not punished for any of these statements.

BUT

I distinctly remember being given a 5 day ban for saying "nigga" in GMbets lobby months ago, and the term was not used in a hateful way.

Nigger is a term meaning ignorant dark skinned person. I personally have an issue with nigger because its a term meant to be an insult, few dont have an issue. the term I dont have an issue with is "nigga" because it has meaning that isnt an insult.

I'd have to agree with Tay. It seems way too many people are offended FOR blacks instead of being genuinely offended themselves. The term "Nigger", which he also defined earlier in this discussion is the word that was used as a hateful word. The term "nigga" was a result of African Americans embracing this years after slavery and segregation. Keep in mind that just about all of the events involving this hateful word took place in the U.S after Africans were brought to this country as slaves. The word was used to keep them feeling inferior as a race. This is DIRECTLY linked to U.S history and nowhere else.

racism offends a large group of people. If you say nigger in a server, not only will every black person, but every person who has an issue with racism will jump in.

Tay sums up what I think again:

I believe this is still a double standard simply because people have yet to understand homosexuality. Religon, and even culture seem to played a major role in what people think about homosexuals at this point in time. Take 1TheV for example. (Not quoting because it hurts to read)

As we begin to learn more about this situation, I'm sure people will take this standard much more seriously and realize how cruel these words are. Both gays and blacks have been dealing with this hate for hundreds of years.

BUT DON'T FORGET.

There are tons of other racial slurs that get by. Through my experiences, I've noticed that racial slurs towards blacks have offended people the most. It actually scares me; knowing how subtle racism can get. I can call someone a spic and rarely get a response. I'd most likely get a chuckle.
Last edited by LagSwitch; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
NOODLE ARMS