Ranking
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
They were like the equivalent to a main team. Toribash just lacks something can't put my finger on it. And there is luck that happens on all mods.

Maybe it's just because toribash matches usually only last a minute. If you wanted to host a tournament, either you'd host a super short one or you'd host one that would take longer but bore a lot of people. I guess watching others play ToriBash isn't as exciting as seeing a MOBA or a fighting game like Street Fighter. Street fighter battles also don't last that long, but you have a load of characters you can pick from, each with their own style. That adds a bit of variety to it.

Also, guys, let's contract the discussion to ToriBash only.
Comparisons or analogies are perfectly fine, but there's no need to discuss SF4AE in here.
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 16, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
f=m*a syens
An interesting aspect is that even beginners can follow what is going on, if they were to watch a pro tournament (esport tourney or something). There's not a lot of strategy behind the scenes, as opposed to other games like starcraft, dota, and lol, where you have to worry about cooldowns and other spawn timers which are all behind the scenes in the players mind.

Unfortunately, I don't see the community getting to that point. The multiplayer is more casual (there is no ranked queues, or shown elo, so there is no punishment for losing, thus decreasing the competitive feel.)

It would be interesting if hampa took a different approach towards the multiplayer. Maybe as in, you can have lobbies, or custom games, for you and your friends but at the same time you could queue up and be matched against a random player around your elo. Win = Gain elo. Lose = Lose elo. Better players would play against the better players and I think it would add a whole new competitive aspect to the game.
inq.
Originally Posted by sham View Post
It would be interesting if hampa took a different approach towards the multiplayer. Maybe as in, you can have lobbies, or custom games, for you and your friends but at the same time you could queue up and be matched against a random player around your elo. Win = Gain elo. Lose = Lose elo. Better players would play against the better players and I think it would add a whole new competitive aspect to the game.

Good idea. I think you'd start seeing more high belt players in no time. There's not much to gain by playing now. A ranking in Elo or some other statistic other than WR would revitalise the game and as such create more room for competition on a larger scale (i.e. esports).

*edit: Apparently ToriBash already has elo.
http://forum.toribash.com/tori_ranking.php
Click "global" to see global elo rating.
My next suggestion would then be to increase awareness, because in my 4 years TB career I never heard anything about the TB Elo.
If more people start to become aware that there is indeed a ranking, I think there would be a more competitive atmosphere.
Maybe give higher players an in-game ribbon or something, like the League of Legends load screen borders so there'd be a point in playing a lot and becoming more skilful.
As I understand it, the whole "cult" with the good players and clans is a whole aspect of esports too. People have their favourite teams as they do for physical sports like soccer.
If TB would become more competitive, something like that might happen to TB too.
Last edited by Arglax; Aug 16, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
f=m*a syens
My next suggestion would then be to increase awareness, because in my 4 years TB career I never heard anything about the TB Elo.

It's displayed after each fight in Multiplayer. More awareness? Huh.

The thing is, Toribash players are usually different from those who play Dota/SC/anything else that's considered to be mainstream. It attracts those who don't play all day long (usually) and just come here to relax and not even play but talk. Nobody will ever really care about any ratings/ELO until this changes.

In general: Toribash could make a decent e-sport if it was an EA game, for example. Not an indie product with small audience.
Wait till the influx of new players due to greenlight.

There will be an influx, but surely you have to keep in mind that we'll double the number of players, probably triple or even quadruple them some time. But we'll never get close to number of those who play Dota.

Look, there's 232 players online here. With Steam we'll be able to have around 1000, for example.

Statistics for most played Steam games are:

As you can see, Dota has almost 300k people online now. And that's early morning in EU now and night at US. I bet that in about 12 hours this number of people will be way higher (even in Toribash it's sometimes about 600).
But with the influx of gamers, there will be those looking for a more competitive aspect to the game. People who want a league, a ladder, tournaments, ect. Maybe they wont be looking for Esport status. But I'm sure there will be a push for this game to be more competitive, which to me is never how Toribash should be/was played. I mean we all see the guys who come in to Public Akido, global rank <20, and just textbook shovel. Thats not fun for anyone. But I'm afraid we will see more people like that joining.
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
My overall view on eSports: I think it's stupid to watch someone else play a game just for the sake of entertainment instead of going out and playing it yourself.
Professional gamers? I don't really have a lot of respect for them. Maybe you can win a lot of prize money, but basically you're playing games for a living and you're not gonna have a future after the game loses popularity.

This makes me sad.
Professional gamers have a lifespan, they use esports to support their studies, and as a base for future opportunities.
Esport games have a lifespan longer than most professional gamers careers. starcraft, dota, call of duty etc

And if you dont understand the value of watching professional gamers play, then you are wasting your time with dota.
the professional scene is part of what makes the game entertaining.
sometimes i dont want to play games, but i do want to dota.

And there is luck that happens on all mods.

once players break a certain skill bracket, the luck element is less relevant. which would obviously happen if the game where to get real big

So whats your thoughts on Toribash as an esport and just esports in general.

there are obviously possibilities for competative play.
But there needs to be more structure the competative scene, teams need to have active captains, that understand what the team needs, and who can bring in a strategic element to the game, setting who plays when, how they should play, who they should play against or when they should play etc.
games still got a long way to go befor it reaches that point.
it needs peopel to take the game seriously

toribash is perhaps too slow from a spectators point of view, long turn frames and very short replays, where often times, the spectator has no idea what is going on.

I tried watchin Les doing the Toribash casts on youtube, and realised, i found watching these games, boring as shit.
The spectator thing is one of the biggest things about esports.
Last edited by BenDover; Aug 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
toribash is perhaps too slow from a spectators point of view, long turn frames and very short replays, where often times, the spectator has no idea what is going on.

Also, when you join as a spectator in the middle of the game, the game spazzes out so you have no idea what's happening.

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
I tried watchin Les doing the Toribash casts on youtube, and realised, i found watching these games, boring as shit.
The spectator thing is one of the biggest things about esports.

A commentor would also not really have much to do. There's no stream of action. After a set amount of time, the whole game pauses and everyone can see what's going on. So we've excluded the commentor. Now you have a completely silent game in which 50% of the time is spent staring at immobile stick figures (during move time). TB is indeed just too boring to spectate. As you said earlier, the spectating part is a huge part of the esports. I think we can all conclude that, as it is now, TB doesn't have a real future as an eSport.
f=m*a syens
"The spectator thing is one of the biggest things about esports."

Well it is one of two things in esports that brings in revenue, no revenue, no scene. A lot of games competitive scene dies, they stop getting tournaments, and sponsors/leagues drop events and teams because nobody wants to watch that game. Which is why Valve pushing the esports scene with their own tournaments is such a huge development. Toribash doesn't have the backing/wouldn't make enough money to support a competitive scene. On top of all the other reasons holding it back. Good point.