Toribash
Original Post
Argument over what discussions should look like.
Basically this is where the discussion stands right now:
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I think this is the problem with discussion forums. When you argue for logics/arguments sake you make simply retarded statements that have nothing to do with the real world (read every immortal pigs post). Sure in some idea world where only theory is applied, some of the arguments pig has used might work or be realistic. But in the real world, everything he has said thus far has been utterly wrong. I don't know if pig is playing the devils advocate or if he's just dumb, I can't tell but all the arguments he has made have either been based on semantics or some abstract philosophical ideas (and usually filled with logical fallacies)
To me this kind of discussion is banal, sure it gives more to talk about, but the quality of the discussion is simply worse. Especially when the other person is grounded in reality and the other isnt.

logic doesn't apply to the real world

My arguments are 100% logical and grounded in reality, making sweeping statements like "they are logical but have nothing to do with the real world" or "semantics and philosophy are bad" or "I don't like it, thus it is bad" are not productive at all.

Originally Posted by cow
Originally Posted by pig
If you want to discuss, then discuss. If you don't want to, then don't. How hard is that?

Discussion with a brick wall isn't very fruitful. With statements like "my arguments are 100% logical and based in reality" I highly doubt you would ever listen to anyone else than yourself; or someone who agrees with you. Ive yet to see a post here that isn't basically "Immortalpig is wrong and here's why" followed by more insane rebuttals that are "100% logical and based in reality"

I do like discussion as much as the next guy, that is why I'm here, but you are effectively ruining this discussion. It's like you're vomiting all over the board and when people get tired of shoveling vomit back and forth, you declare yourself a victor.

Originally Posted by Pig
Maybe you care too much about "winning" mate, you are not required to reply to my posts, you are not required to try and force people to agree with you. It's like you have some compulsion to be right and win every thread, who cares if the discussion isn't fruitful or someone doesn't agree with you?

You know how much I care when someone doesn't agree with me? Not at all - in fact I prefer that people disagree because it furthers the discussion.

My own contribution would be that the specificity of your argument is an important enough part of it to be criticised as a stand alone from your original conclusion without the criticism becoming irrelevant to the legitimacy of that conclusion. If you word a correct thought incorrectly in your argument then that thought might as well have been incorrect. Debates are as much about conveying your viewpoint as picking the right side and if you can't do that accurately then you don't automatically deserve to win the debate. (I know discussions and debates differ but I don't think that devalues my point enough to matter).

Anyone have any thoughts?
Last edited by Zelda; Sep 20, 2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: discussion continued on other thread.
Good morning sweet princess
Yes, if I say "the grass is purple" then that is incorrect, even if I really mean "the grass is green". I don't think anyone will say otherwise. Posts do not exist in vacuums, it's certainly valid to discuss the post.

No one "deserves" to win or "doesn't deserve to win", discussion threads are NOT debates, and no one "wins", can we stop saying that? This sub hasn't even been debate since you have been a member Zelda lol...

Regardless, discussion threads are not productive in any way other than for their own sake.

Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Discussion with a brick wall isn't very fruitful. With statements like "my arguments are 100% logical and based in reality" I highly doubt you would ever listen to anyone else than yourself; or someone who agrees with you. Ive yet to see a post here that isn't basically "Immortalpig is wrong and here's why" followed by more insane rebuttals that are "100% logical and based in reality"

I do like discussion as much as the next guy, that is why I'm here, but you are effectively ruining this discussion. It's like you're vomiting all over the board and when people get tired of shoveling vomit back and forth, you declare yourself a victor.

Maybe you care too much about "winning" mate, you are not required to reply to my posts, you are not required to try and force people to agree with you. It's like you have some compulsion to be right and win every thread, who cares if the discussion isn't fruitful or someone doesn't agree with you?

You know how much I care when someone doesn't agree with me? Not at all - in fact I prefer that people disagree because it furthers the discussion. One of the rules of this sub is that if no one disagrees then the thread is closed, a rule that has been aggressively enforced in the past to the point that if there's no disagreement within a handful of posts the thread is locked.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Cow is stupid and Pig is trolling every thread he posts in. There's nothing wrong with the current format of discussion, but it does cater to both types of people. I agree with Pig on the topic that circlejerk threads have no reason to exist, there are some topics ("why do I have to go to skoo' =[") which don't really have more than one reasonable side to begin with (these should be shut down before they start).

Other discussion formats were proposed in the past, but the problem with those is that they require a lot of work. A debate format could be introduced as a sub-board of discussion to see how it fares, though.
Last edited by ynvaser; Sep 20, 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
discussion threads are NOT debates, and no one "wins", can we stop saying that? This sub hasn't even been debate since you have been a member Zelda lol...

I thought I was clear about knowing about the distinction between a debate and discussion. However, the majority of those who frequent the discussion forum often treat it like a debate. Cowmeat's comment about winning and losing demonstrates this attitude (I probably had the same attitude that there was no difference between debates and discussions at some point in my relationship with the sub as well) and I believe it is not a rare attitude for people to have. This is why I treat it thusly.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig
One of the rules of this sub is that if no one disagrees then the thread is closed, a rule that has been aggressively enforced in the past to the point that if there's no disagreement within a handful of posts the thread is locked.

Come on, be reasonable, I tend to move it to Off-topic where Moonshake complains and then closes it there.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
(these should be shut down before they start).

Nah I follow those rules because they exist, but there's nothing wrong with leaving circle jerk threads open.

They will die out quickly anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Aggressively pruning them is a bad idea IMO, just let them die naturally, and if they don't then obviously there was a bit more to discuss than originally thought.
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
Other discussion formats were proposed in the past, but the problem with those is that they require a lot of work. A debate format could be introduced as a sub-board of discussion to see how it fares, though.

Well there's always the "just let threads run their course without any intervention" format, which is less work.
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
I thought I was clear about knowing about the distinction between a debate and discussion. However, the majority of those who frequent the discussion forum often treat it like a debate. Cowmeat's comment about winning and losing demonstrates this attitude (I probably had the same attitude that there was no difference between debates and discussions at some point in my relationship with the sub as well) and I believe it is not a rare attitude for people to have. This is why I treat it thusly.

Well if you say things like "Debates are ..." or "... in your argument ..." then I think you propagate the idea that people win or lose in this sub, instead of people just discussing with no outcome.

"If you word a correct thought incorrectly", etc. So I would personally steer away from anything that implies this sub contains debates or arguments, because people will get the wrong impression.
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Come on, be reasonable, I tend to move it to Off-topic where Moonshake complains and then closes it there.

Either way.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I was just trying to draw parallels between good discussion techniques and good debating techniques, I thought the similarities were obvious. Admittedly I got carried away with the comparison and as you said ended up butchering the point I wanted to make so I apologise for that. I hope that clears everything up.

Anyway, this thread is not about how the discussion board should be run, there was one of those a while ago which gave us all the information we could ever need about that. This should be about what makes a discussion good and why. Especially in terms of approachability and enjoyment for members of the community.

Also feel free to comment on whether Pig ruins everyone's fun in the way he puts his points across (and other people's down) or if you think this is negative is overruled by his practically unrivalled ability to create areas of discussion on threads which otherwise appear to have been sucked dry and ended?
-----

Also, about moving threads to off-topic; I would much prefer moonshake to give some threads more of a chance, but how he runs his board is none of my business. Perhaps it is pathetic of me to pretend that Off-Topic is more of an ideal place for the threads I move there when actually the moderation there seem to be just as aggressive nowadays, but some threads fare badly in discussion and would be a better thread for having more relaxed posting standards. If everyone is in agreement anyway then why not let them agree in as few or as many words as they like?

Just thought I should say that here and now so that people don't get the impression that I don't take their threads seriously anymore. If you want to talk about my policy on this sort of thing then do it via PM.
Last edited by Zelda; Sep 20, 2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I like and hate Pig's posts and ways of discussing. He argues for the sake of arguing, often playing the devil's advocate in order to push ideas further imo, and that's kinda good (sometimes) ; but it's also dangerous.
Pig isn't dumb, but 50% (or more) of the people who'll read his posts are ; they might think he's serious, and if they're bigots they might just find new baseless arguments to spout from reading Pig's posts who has originally been posted for the sake of being contradicted, it can spread ignorance or confort people in their own. But again, I assume ignorant people will read the whole thread, but I know they generally don't read the solid and long posts from people they don't agree with, that's how being an ignorant asshole works : only listening to yourself and people that think-ish like you, everyone else is just a cunt/faggot/and other pretty bird names.

Your posts are not always consistents tho Pig, sometimes it does use logic and push people to think more about the subject, sometimes you just use semantics and focus on useless points or a misunderstanding and never let go. Sometimes you bring fuel to the discussion, sometimes you bring pollution.

Also :

"Post link or your argument is invalid"
"My argument are 100% logical and grounded in reality" without posting any source to support your claims, while you're demanding sources for everything and anything.

That's just blantant trolling and it's not helping any dicussion.

Other that that, I think the discussion board is decent. People argue reasonnably and generally try to expose their points in a constructive way.
Last edited by deprav; Sep 20, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
invalid was perhaps the wrong word to use, but if someone bases their argument on statistics rather than personal logic then it requires sources to back it up, he wasn't implying that all conclusions will require sources to be valid.
Problem is that Pig ignores almost all of the points that other people bring up. He never admits that he was wrong, and then veers the discussion in the other way so he doesn't look stupid. I will gladly admit that I am wrong in some of the things I post.
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Problem is that Pig ignores almost all of the points that other people bring up. He never admits that he was wrong, and then veers the discussion in the other way so he doesn't look stupid. I will gladly admit that I am wrong in some of the things I post.

Discussion does not require updates from people about which parts of their argument have been proven wrong and not looking stupid isn't a crime. While I am the type to point out the flaws in my argument if nobody else does, letting other people work out how the discussion has progressed doesn't make you a bad person. Admittedly keeping track of the discussion while Pig is being challenged by someone is a real problem for members with less experience, but before he joined the gay thread people had asked for the thread to be closed and proclaimed it dead on about five separate occasions. When arguing otherwise I intentionally switched my argument to the side Pig was on when the thread looked dead because I knew he would make the post count skyrocket. And almost half of every post he makes is quotation. I really don't think ignoring other people's posts is not the problem here.

Anyway, back onto what this thread was created to talk about. What kind of post styles do you like/dislike? Do you care about threads becoming repetitive? Are you more interested in the flow of new opinions to discuss or the proper coverage of old ones?

I only brought up Pig because he likely represents the extreme of a certain style of posting, where it is hard to keep track of where the focus is and how it affects the conclusions being discussed but where people have lots of things to protest against. He does not care at all about who is right or wrong and will argue for the sake of arguing for almost forever until everyone else gets bored or is proven wrong. It should be easy to picture the opposite side of the spectrum to this and Pig's behaviour is well known enough to justify me using him as a reference point. I do not actually want this to just be people either bitching or complimenting him because that is dumb as hell.

Sorry if this post was a little uncoordinated. I am v. short of time and am ADHD af right now.