Toribash
Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
Also, how is that going idiot mode? That just sounds like a good fun time man, lel. XD

Reinventing the wheel is always fun ecks dee. Also, if you have time on your hands and want to take the next step in Unity, learning to program AI by creating finite state machines is a good time investment.
Made this several weeks ago out of boredom: http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.php?p=9105635

Went to uni in hopes I'll do some coding there, huh boy I was wrong. Probably it's better somewhere outside mother Russia, but here they'd explain how printf() works for 2 weeks and then announce the course is pretty much over. If you want to learn, either go study the raw documentation and start coding random stuff on your own or try internships as Gynx suggested.
YouTube vids on Unity look pretty useless in terms of 'learning to code', these may only be helpful at getting into Editor's basics faster.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Made this several weeks ago out of boredom: http://forum.toribash.com/showpost.php?p=9105635

Went to uni in hopes I'll do some coding there, huh boy I was wrong. Probably it's better somewhere outside mother Russia, but here they'd explain how printf() works for 2 weeks and then announce the course is pretty much over. If you want to learn, either go study the raw documentation and start coding random stuff on your own or try internships as Gynx suggested.
YouTube vids on Unity look pretty useless in terms of 'learning to code', these may only be helpful at getting into Editor's basics faster.

Thank you very much for the advice sir, your opinion is quite reputable. I live in California, where we have beach parties and over use the word 'hella', and there seems to be some fine Computer Science courses from the Junior College I plan to be taking courses from, and some at Simpsons as well. I've done a combination or reading the documentation and watching youtube videos, and I feel I've learned a bit off of those combined. You know, I'd be down to watch some videos of you explain the basics of C# though ;)
Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
Also, how is that going idiot mode? That just sounds like a good fun time man, lel. XD

It is pretty fun, but pretty stressful as well, haha.
Also, I don't have a lot of time to work on it, so yeah
check out this sweet subforum for computer/programming discussion

make sure you're posting in the right place
You don't do tremendous amount of coding with computer science degrees, but I would do a tremendous amount of coding with what I want to do, so mind as well get started sooner than later. XD

What if he's an artsy guy? XD I'm joking, I do wander what Gynx went for too.
For most small projects, C# in Unity is mostly scripting rather than coding. You aren't writing any new methods, you're usually just using the scripting api to figure out which method to use and how to use it. Most of your coding will occur in your Scene Manager, assuming you even need one for what you're making.

Also, not all computer science degrees are useless. Depends on where you go. Mine won't even accept you into the major unless you complete a 300 level (read as: upper level mandatory) course that you won't pass unless you understand object-oriented programming.

That being said, computer science is for chumps. Do a little bit more work under software engineering and make 20k+ more a year out the gate. Laugh as the code monkeys from comp sci become your underlings after a year.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
I am doing a software development diploma in post secondary right now, let me tell you they teach you a lot of stuff related to coding and provide a lot of hands coding. Most of the assignments are coding. Although diploma in software development isn't as prestigous as a bachelor's in computer science you do gain a lot of experience in coding.

What I learned in my college is that most jobs look for bachelor's in computer science or equivalent. But coming from diploma from software development you have insane amounts of coding experience that you could provide on your resume although you don't have a bachelor's instead just a diploma.

In my opinion I would say a bachelor's in computer science is what I would most likely prefer to get into although you don't gain a lot of coding experience from bachelor's in computer science they do teach you enough of the basics. In my workings toward diploma for software development I noticed they don't teach you any mathematics and expect you to know the basics not sure if that's the case for all software development diplomas but they emphasize a lot more on coding.

I would prefer a bachelor's In computer science mainly because of the mathemattics, i would find mathematics more valuable than the amount of experience you have in coding. Mathematics teaches you to solve problems and I find problem solving skills more valuable than coding skills.
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
That being said, computer science is for chumps. Do a little bit more work under software engineering and make 20k+ more a year out the gate. Laugh as the code monkeys from comp sci become your underlings after a year.

Two million ¥ definitely doesn't sound bad. I might consider it, lel.
For the career I want I'd make like 70k out the gate so I will stick to that. Hahah, I'm not in it for the money I'm in it for the enjoyment. Also, I was wondering if anyone wanted to try and teach me some tricks about C# maybe. It would be nice since I'm new to it and all. I want to make a 2D platform game as I've said. Another idea I had was for a game of battleship, that you can have the ships diagonal as opposed to only vertical and horizontal

Here's a video that is part of what I would be studying, though only a fraction of what I would study. XD

Last edited by MrMiyagy; May 5, 2017 at 09:38 PM.