Toribash
Original Post
ACTA
[What is ACTA?]

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (also known as ACTA) is an agreement between several countries and spear headed by big business to put a stop to all internet piracy by making it a federal crime to pirate anything. As it currently stands piracy is a civil matter not a criminal matter and they have come up ways to get control of pirating including holding IP providers responsible for the content uploaded and download by customers, so if we pirate the IP company gets busted for it. This forces IP companies to monitor every bit of data its customers send and receive

Furthermore, these select governments are attempting to legalize the random search, copying, and seizure of computers and other devices that hold digital data when a person brings them to an airport. They want to take our laptops with out provocation or reason to search them, and copy your entire hard drive in an attempt to find pirated material.

The ACTA raises significant concerns for consumer privacy, civil liberties, innovation, the free flow of information on the Internet, commerce, and developing countries' ability to choose policy options that best suit them.

Doesn't the Constitution say a warrant is needed to search my computer?
It does! But because ACTA is a treaty, it circumvents the Constitution and takes away our rights!

Internet service providers (ISPs) will be forced to monitor what you do online and report to the government anything that is seen as suspicious. How are they going to pay for this? They aren't; instead they will raise our Internet bills.

tl;dr rich douchebags around the world are going to take our right to internet privacy and control our browsing, taking money from us in the process, via an international treaty

-It allows them to censor the internet.
-It allows them to search your iPods and computers randomly without giving a reason.
-It allows them to confiscate your iPods and computers without giving a reason
-It allows them to monitor what you do online
-It allows them to block websites deemed "unacceptable", without limit
-It will ban p2p technology, like uTorrent
-It will allow ISPs to PERMANENTLY ban you from using the internet, without a trial.
-It will allow arrests based on the content you search.
-In a nutshell, they're basically taking your freedom and raping it in the ass.

This will be affecting most places.

Myself this is going to destroy communities, and the internet itself.
Big Brother over the internet. Reporting to the government, allowing arrests based on searches.

It sure is going to destroy the internet, some decent companies have p2p technology, and some of them are actually useful. (Not used for pirating and the like) Toribash is basically a peer 2 peer site, allowing you to download/post replays, new toribash updates, mods and scripts.

Is there a possible list of countries this will affect?
Last edited by Slycooper; Jul 24, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
oh god, is that real?

sounds pretty gay, it will have some lasting effects on the internet and the way people use it. there is probably gonna be a work-around invented though, in due time.
I've been reading about it for some months, and I'm totally against ACTA.
Its a crude violation of our rights. Not only civil rights, but also Human Rights such as privacy and the right to a fair trial.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by Slycooper View Post
Is there a possible list of countries this will affect?

Australia, Canada, European Union, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.S.A.

I understand why ACTA was formed, to stop piracy, but the lengths they are going to to stop it are far too extreme. The blocking of certain software, µTorrent and the like, is understandable to a point, but the searching of property without a warrant or for that matter a legitimate reason to do so is taking it way too far. Plus this will be damaging to companies who use the BitTorrent protocol to distribute software legitimately, Blizzard for example use it to distribute almost everything related to WoW.
Looks like strong cryptography will need to be banned as well.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
'sif piracy is bad.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
If this goes through I will be dissapoint in the entire world ._.
The part that annoys me the most is simply being able to confesquate at any time they want to, without a given reason.

How the hell is this supposed to go down? Even the toribash forums have had it's moments of racism, and swearing (if they count cursing/swearing/language as "censoring" material)

And is it even POSSIBLE for the ISP's to watch EVERYONE? That seems like it'd be pretty difficult unless they had a fajillion employees doing this, 24/7
Last edited by Bio; Jul 25, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
If this goes through I will be dissapoint in the entire world ._.
The part that annoys me the most is simply being able to confesquate at any time they want to, without a given reason.

How the hell is this supposed to go down? Even the toribash forums have had it's moments of racism, and swearing (if they count cursing/swearing/language as "censoring" material)

And is it even POSSIBLE for the ISP's to watch EVERYONE? That seems like it'd be pretty difficult unless they had a fajillion employees doing this, 24/7

Yeah that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that one policy Obama tried to pass that gave our government the right to scan our harddrives for pirated shit and confiscate it/fine us/ lock us up? Remember how it never happened?

People are going to scream BUTTHURT all over the world and will eventually pussywhip these big companies to cave in and scrape the idea or remove the treaty assuming it actually passes, which I confidently doubt...
[18:04:54] <aracoon> Eureka is a powerhungry fag
[13:13] <Eureka> also dota is kinda for pigfuckers
[13:13] <jalis> ban eureka
[13:13] <jalis> thanks
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Yeah that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that one policy Obama tried to pass that gave our government the right to scan our harddrives for pirated shit and confiscate it/fine us/ lock us up? Remember how it never happened?

People are going to scream BUTTHURT all over the world and will eventually pussywhip these big companies to cave in and scrape the idea or remove the treaty assuming it actually passes, which I confidently doubt...

Except it isn't one party that was considering a new policy. It is an organisation formed of some of the most powerful countries in the world that has already produced draft treaties. And remember that because it is a treaty there is very little that any person or organisation can do to stop it.