Ranking
Original Post
Learning Japanese
Can anyone here read/write/speak/understand Japanese language?
Today I officially started learning Japanese. Yaaay. Basic hiragana and grammar here I come

EDIT: For those who want to learn Japanese:
The almighty list of everything
Introduction
Namasensei. Watch them. And DRINK BEER
Last edited by Tonakai; Apr 23, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
It's haaaarrrrdddd :< I've been trying on and off to learn it now for around a month.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Learning Japanese isn't that hard, but it will take some time.
Watching anime without subs or playing untranslated VN can help.
i have a table to write katakana wanna?
i am gonna search it in my drawer first though
"0h no" -Trice
A.K.A Tricerafi || Thanks Papa Donut, bless you
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
It's haaaarrrrdddd :< I've been trying on and off to learn it now for around a month.

How are you going about learning it?
I myself found this. He's mean but motivating.
Also going through by this. Don't think it's some stupid shit just because it's "Learning with Anonymous" :p

Bunch of links to different things that help you learn Japanese here. Lots of tools and webpages to help you learn. Again credits go to /a/nons, they post daily Japanese threads in /a/. Not really sure when, though.

Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
ganbatte yo! \( ^∀^)/

Romanji is terrible for your health
you suck
go away

Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
Learning Japanese isn't that hard, but it will take some time.
Watching anime without subs or playing untranslated VN can help.

It's funny how you can learn Japanese by playing games, watching anime and reading manga. Eagerly waiting for that phase... Not like learning hiragana and grammar is terrible.
(hope I'm not invading or anything)
I took 2 years of Japanese in high school when I was a Freshman and Sophomore.

The best way I figured out how to build my vocabulary was to learn all Hiragana before anything else and learn how they go into different words, etc. A while after I learned most/all of the hiragana symbols, I would write as many as I could remember down, and then keep testing myself until I could write them all down in one session without missing any.

After that, I'd work on building my words. I would practice with these cards that had different words on them, mostly consisting of 2 - 4 hiragana symbols, and try with different cards on different days to remember as many as I could. After a while, it comes pretty natural and it's pretty simple to start wording out sentences and understanding people talking in Japanese. I still have problems understanding most Anime shows in Japanese, though. It takes a lot of time to get to the level where you can understand a lot.

But yeah, I'd suggest maybe buying a book or something to help you, makes it a lot simpler to understand everything.

Sorry for the long response, by the way, just thought I'd share.
Thanks a lot and no worries about invading or long post, you gave me (us?) some valuable info ;o
That card thing sounds interesting. Gotta keep that in mind when I can do all of hiragana...

Today I learned sa さ, shi し, su す, se せ and so そ. Wrote 'em all 50 times each and everything I've learned together a bunch of times, then went to www.realkana.com (also mentioned in the almighty list of everything) and memorized.
There was also stuff about the i (い) and na (な?) adjectives. I didn't really get them... Sometimes i is used and sometimes na.
Hopefully I can keep this pace up. Learning something new isn't necessary every day but there should be at least rehearsal with something like realkana.com or writing them down.

I also have a book at my real home though I forgot it there when I left haha. Called my mother to post it :p
copy sheets are hell boring and I'm pretty sure I learnt more from learning actual words rather than copy sheeting.

Anyway, cool.
My pleasure, most people don't know any good ways to learn a language like Japanese and give up easily because they are trying to learn it solely off of listening to anime, etc.

Also yeah, about the i and na adjectives.. I believe that i is more commonly found than na, due to the way sentences work, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it for a while.

Basically, the i adjective in a sentence would look like "おいしい です。",(oishii desu) meaning 'it is delicious'. Most sentences I've used are like this.

The n adjective is a bit different, here is an example: "げんき な おんあ の ひと。(genki na onna no hito)" (notice the na?), meaning 'The healthy woman'.

na isn't used as much because you in na sentences, the verb follows the adjective, not the noun. In most cases, the noun will follow the adjective, making it an i adjective.

oh, and read this - http://www.yesjapanese.com/learn-jap...present-tense/
Last edited by Faint; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:23 PM.