ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Battery on my Laptop
Hi.
I just bought myself a new laptop, Acer Aspire 5740G, and it says I only have 3 hours of battery life even when it is fully charged. Now, I knew this would happen, considering I got a version of it that has a nice big graphics card. But the problem is the battery even runs out when the entire system has been shut down. For example, my laptop says that it has 50% of battery life left, but after I turn it back on the next morning, the battery has either run out completely or is close to it.
My question is, how do I stop this?
"Sex is like a velociraptor: Despite your movie-fueled lifelong neurotic obsession, it is unlikely to be found in your house." ~XKCD
You can try taking the battery out of the laptop at night. It might be sipping on it even while off.

It shouldn't lose charge by itself that fast. :/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
when you close your screen you're probably sending it to stand by mode instead.. but even in standby I *think* it shouldn't lose that much... This could also be the case of a laptop randomly turning on during the night... I've seen that happen with my laptop... that would deplete the battery and make it shutdown when its near the end. (probably some stupid bug on the ACPI or windows updates fucking around with your patience)
Last edited by GenkiSudo; May 21, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
You can try taking the battery out of the laptop at night. It might be sipping on it even while off.

It shouldn't lose charge by itself that fast. :/

One of my mates suggested that, so I did last night. Alas, same problem.

Originally Posted by GenkiSudo View Post
when you close your screen you're probably sending it to stand by mode instead.. but even in standby I *think* it shouldn't lose that much... This could also be the case of a laptop randomly turning on during the night... I've seen that happen with my laptop... that would deplete the battery and make it shutdown when its near the end. (probably some stupid bug on the ACPI or windows updates fucking around with your patience)

I don't just close the screen, I shut it down. Also, I have never noticed it turn on during the night, but it could be. I will look tonight.

One of my friends also told me to put it on hibernate, because it saves the session to the hard disc. He is actually one of the best computer guru's in my entire school (about 400 people, not that big).

When I bought it, I got $200 off because it was a display model. When I mentioned this to my IT teacher, he said that may have been the problem, even although it had never been off the charge until it got packed up to put in the box.
"Sex is like a velociraptor: Despite your movie-fueled lifelong neurotic obsession, it is unlikely to be found in your house." ~XKCD
If I leave it plugged in, it pisses my mum off.
Oh crap! maybe take the latop back to bond and bond or just send it to accer it should be under warranty? Well I've Made a toribash Account andrew! now what!! Im confused
[doc] [NZ] Signatures are so over-rated... ~Alexxy
Stop posting in here and go HERE.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Originally Posted by Fezch View Post
Anyone else got any ideas?

Like I said, its probably turning on during the night, while you're sleeping... 3am, problably, since its when, by default, windows updates work... they might trigger the computer to start up...

There are a lot of people with that problem... But you're one of the fews that don't leave the computer plugged in, so it will eventually shutdown once the battery is running out, thats certainly the most probable the reason for your battery to appear depleted when you turn it back on...

Check it:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en-EN&sour...ring+the+night
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
3am you say? I will watch it tonight. Then I will post here and tell you the results.
Thanks man.

EDIT: This can be closed. Turns out it was turning on during the night, so I have now changed the setting on it so that it only updates when I tell it to.
Thanks guys.
Last edited by Fezch; May 21, 2010 at 04:03 PM.