Ranking
Nobody has even answered my question -.-

My question was how do i make pictures in stuff into 512x512, it's for the avvys in a art/texture shop, now can someone please tell me how.
Membaof Element|My Sig
K, regarding percieved loss of detail int 128x128 from crossing over to 512x512 upwards.

This is the wip head for myself which i've done in 512x256. below it is the scaled down version (scaled using bicubic sampling), blown up to match the original's scale.

As you can see, the smaller version retains the same amount of detail as in the original. both have the black radial lines and spokes in the center glow of the mouth and the highlights in the eyes.

At the back, the dividing line in the spike is also clearly visible.

Only DRASTIC difference is the aliasing of the edges, particularly in the diagonal edges.

Now tbh, the head is still sellable (imo) without the need to display the higher resolution base. In fact, if i was to sell the head, I wouldnt particularly show the highres version of it, as the finished product has enough oomph to make it through market, without the need for fake advertising. (Unless it is used for renders, which is totally a dfferent matter altogether)

So, theres my point. Yes, I work at resolutions higher than 128x128, but in the end, I sell and preview the work at standard resolution, on the grounds that if the 128x128 resolution doesnt look good, then the sale is a no go.

Although, that point aside, it would have turned out nicer if i started at 256x128
Last edited by avwave; May 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
I think the largest problem is with the highly detailed, realistic looking heads that look that way due to being made in such a high resolution.

The main problem would be the sense of crispness that comes with a higher resolution, which will almost ALWAYS be lost upon resizing (pretty much always, unless the head is so simple that it's hardly worth the effort in the first place)

Also, while we are on presentation, how about the fancy ones vs bare bones? After rendering a few heads in povray, I have gotten far stronger positive reactions to the quality of the head. I also see several of the screen shots being souped up with effects like glow and extra fancy text.
I kinda see a slight similarity between that and previews in 512x512. It's all to make a set look a lot better than it would ingame.
If I remember correctly, I believe avwave noted how povray shows heads more perfectly than tb does, without the swirl at the top and a glossier surface.
So any rules regarding head preview formats?
If it's restricted to ingame shots only, that would make showing all angles inconvenient and cause shader-incapable texturers to be at a disadvantage (inferior presentation).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by Mrama View Post
Voxus have you ever tried texturing in 512x512? If you keep your textures simple there is nothing to worry about, 512x512 supports higher detail and able to store more items/objects into your heads while 128x128 is too small to add as much, really its just due to your sense of style , as long as the disclaimer is visable I think that 512x512 are fine ( not cause i work in 512x512) .

Actually I've made heads in 1024x512 before, until I learnt what a stupid thing that is to do, however that said, frankly if you work in 512x512, I don't care, if you show previews (I'm going to make this as clear as possible, It's the previews that count, not how you work) in 512x512, your lying to your customer in my opinion.

Working in 512 can deceive you as to how much detail you can put in. and always damages exact lines (such as vector based graphics that are bit mapped at 512 then down scaled)

Originally Posted by avwave View Post
more stuff gained in the preview, but lost ingame. Which makes me wonder if people buy stuff for the previews sake (which imo defies the definition of a preview) or for the actual texture design.

Frankly, people dont give a crap about HOW you work, its the output.

Exactly my point, if you can preview in 512x512 it's false advertising, preview what you are selling, and if we can't have it enforced, I would settle for a more forceful disclaimer...

An example of what I'd accept as a stronger disclaimer:

The previews shown are in 512x512 resolution, in game they will appear as 128x128 and thus loose 16 times the resolution, and will suffer quality loss.

I don't like all this 'may loose quality' as it suggests it might not, when it is a fact it wont look as good in game, I also think that by enforcing such a disclaimer in such a formatting, that the use of 512^2 could be instantly decremented, without having to enforce not using 512^2.

ONCE AGAIN: I don't mind if you work in 512^2, it's previewing in 512^2 or 256^2 that bothers me.
Last edited by Vox; May 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Originally Posted by him3 View Post
Nobody has even answered my question -.-

My question was how do i make pictures in stuff into 512x512, it's for the avvys in a art/texture shop, now can someone please tell me how.

Please answer my question -.-
Membaof Element|My Sig
him3: off to the support section with your request. this is no place for answering that question. Please consider this as a warning.
So is this still true If you use 512X by 512X with a 256 pixel per inch resolution?

Note: 512 with 256 is 2 Inches, the same goes for 128 with 64 resolution.

(>^_^)>
yes, because your still storing those extra pixels, however it often depends on the way you save it, by saving an image like that the resolution will have to drop, or the scale will have to increase for it to be displayable on web & devices. (as far as I know)

In the end, using 512x512 will damage the texture you make in some way unless you purposefully resize it down to 128x128 and then modify the image further to re enhance the lost detail.

I believe this is what Avwave makes textures in 512x512 then resizes and enhances? well correct me if I'm wrong.

Still pressing for a stronger disclaimer to be enforced guys, is no one gona take this on?
Apparently increasing the DPI doesn't help either. I wish Nabi would transfer to 512x by 512x.

(>^_^)>
512x512 would take 16 times longer to download, maybe once nabi has a working unlaggy download system that doesn't kill the game that would be a good idea.