Toribash
Original Post
What is Racism and/or Sexism?
What is racism....
It is a noun...
It the dictionary says...

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."
,but is this not just a broad term for discrimination?
Some people are offended easily,and some are tough as a rock.
In my opinion Racism is

"Stereotyping a race,then making them inferior to another."
which is also straight forward,but there is no real universal agreement
,since not everyone believes racism is like how the dictionary describes it.

Then yet...
What is Sexism...?
The dictionary says

"prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex."

Now why is it "typically against women?"
why not typically against men?
Is it because men have a nature to show dominance over all?
Is that not why racism is here?

Tell me what you think Racism,Sexism or both means.
I said CROOK UP
Regarding the sexism one. For a long time, men have been the dominant race, and it's stupid to deny it. Women didn't have the right to vote at one point. That is the only reason why it's typically against women. And frankly, it will always be that way. There is, and always will be, a glass ceiling.
Last edited by Kyure; Feb 16, 2015 at 05:46 AM.
A very bold statement.
I see what you mean,and you have history on your side,like the saying
goes "History repeats." <--yes it is a thing
I said CROOK UP
There is no possible way that women will ever be respected as much as men, it could come close, but never equal. There are still far too many countries in the world that treat their women as slaves.
The idea of equality is something that will not exist. And. Terms such as racism and sexism will always exist. Because every human has the will and freedom to discriminate? Does that mean everyone will discriminate? No. Of course not. But, people have that freedom, and will continue to do it. But that's a bit off topic.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
You know go ahead lets get off-topic a little.
So you guys think racism and sexism will always exist.
I agree.
You can not control someone from disliking a race or discouraging a sex.
So there are alot of untouched areas to this conversation.
so keep it going.
Last edited by frandavi; Feb 16, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
I said CROOK UP
On day-to day basis, I rarely come across discrimination towards women online
I think women are mostly adored for being attractive, if anything

Originally Posted by frandavi View Post
Is it because men have a nature to show dominance over all?

I think too much of our male species are helpless virgins lately, so that's pretty much a "no" in general...
Unless you're talking about Muslim society, where it's traditionally different

^ Btw now implying virgins are really helpless, but it's probably at least "awkward" for straight virgins who'd like to get laid but can't manage to get a gf in forever, basically
On sexism,

I think it is largely based on religion, and how we are born into a society where men are dominant. In Paganism, unlike the patriarchal religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) the divine is female as well as male and therefore there is a Goddess as well as a God. As Catholicism came along and deemed Paganism satanic, they became the major religion, and believed the female was inferior to males. As Paganism dropped off, so did the idea of female divinity. I feel that this has largely carried over to today's society.

I also think its because as humans, there are only males and females. Of course one will compete over the other to see which is the "better" of the two.
Last edited by Granby; Feb 16, 2015 at 07:40 AM.
Veni , Vidi , Vici
Prejudice/discrimination on the basis of sex or race.
/thread

Sorry, but I don't think this discussion is going to go anywhere. There's a legit discussion about what it means to be racist or sexist (e.g. is a racist joke really racist), but I can't see this thread going in that direction (judging by OP's analysis and the posts so far). I'll leave this open for another day, on the off-chance that the legit discussion does develop, but if it doesn't then I'm closing this.
To me racism is any form of unjustified belief that one race is superior in certain aspects to another race.
To me sexism is any form of unjustified belief that one sex is superior in certain aspects to another race.

The problem is that opinions on what sort of beliefs are justified vary between individuals so my entire definition revolves around a term I have not specified making it an imprecise definition.

I think one of the best discussions to be had on this thread (if we want Ele not to close it :0) would be what sorts of beliefs we think are justified. I could easily post links and quote facts but I feel like this discussion will last longer if a couple people can express wrong opinions first. Discussions can only progress if the starting point has some degree of ignorance/fault for people to correct and improve.
Good morning sweet princess